Sons of Apollo (Bumblefoots Band)

RussTCB

https://www.loudersound.com/news/sons-of-apollo-detail-new-orchestral-live-album

One of Ron's bands has a live album coming in August. I'm excited to see it's coming on vinyl and I'll be buying it for the second disc alone:

Sons Of Apollo: Live With The Plovdiv Psychotic Symphony

CD 1
1. God Of The Sun
2. Signs Of The Time
3. Divine Addiction
4. That Metal Show Theme 
5. Just Let Me Breathe
6. Billy Sheehan Bass Solo
7. Lost In Oblivion
8. Jeff Scott Soto Solo Spot (The Prophet’s Song / Save Me)
9. Alive
10. The Pink Panther Theme
11. Opus Maximus

CD 2
1. Kashmir
2. Gates Of Babylon
3. Labyrinth
4. Dream On
5. Diary Of A Madman
6. Comfortably Numb
7. The Show Must Go On
8. Hell’s Kitchen
9. Derek Sherinian Keyboard Solo
10. Lines In The Sand

CD 3
1. Bumblefoot Guitar Spot
2. And The Cradle Will Rock
3. Coming Home

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I'm glad you took me to that show last year. They were awesome

Right on. Ron is coming through with Asia on 07/03 btw. They'll be at Meadowbrook. 

2 hours ago, Towelie said:

Never got to see em on their last tour so will definitely be checking this out.

I'm looking forward to the whole thing, but holy moly I'd buy it just for Disc 2!

Billy Sheehan Bass Solo

Derek Sherinian Keyboard Solo

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo! 

Like Bumblefoot a lot and Portnoy rules (when he's well recorded/mixed) but it's not my shit, I'll give it a listen though (CD 2 could be fun). 

• Confused 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Ninjapie24 said:

New Single from their upcoming album, I’ve already listened to it twice and played it on a radio station to show my friends. 

I changed the name of my thread so it's more of a general SoA thread. 

First single is a very good example of the rest of the album. Anyone who liked the first album should love this one. 

I never realized just how talented Bumblefoot was until I found this band through Portnoy. All the members are some of the best in the business and I have a new appreciation for GNR Bumblefoot. Even though they’re all great, Portnoy is the one I look at the most and am most impressed by. I can only imagine him trying Locomotive 

• Like 1

SoA sure love writing big 80s glam rock choruses

I think Derek and Mike need to bring in a real producer.

I like the song  but seems like most SoA songs have the problem of having verses that are cool as shit with a metal feel, then falling into an almost glam rock prechorus/chorus. I imagine it to be Dereks fault, since in almost all the songs, the chorus features a saturated keyboard progression

Would be cool to have someone else write a cool metal chorus. Let BBF and Billy write some cool Metallica/System of a Down shit, and make Soto write something over it (without harmonies)

Labyrinth has been the song that has the best chorus to me.

Hell, maybe I just hate keyboards.

Also i feel like this thread should be in the music discussion section

Edited by Mendez

4 hours ago, Mendez said:

SoA sure love writing big 80s glam rock choruses

I think Derek and Mike need to bring in a real producer.

I like the song  but seems like most SoA songs have the problem of having verses that are cool as shit with a metal feel, then falling into an almost glam rock prechorus/chorus. I imagine it to be Dereks fault, since in almost all the songs, the chorus features a saturated keyboard progression

Would be cool to have someone else write a cool metal chorus. Let BBF and Billy write some cool Metallica/System of a Down shit, and make Soto write something over it (without harmonies)

Labyrinth has been the song that has the best chorus to me.

Hell, maybe I just hate keyboards.

Also i feel like this thread should be in the music discussion section

I couldn't agree with you more, specifically about Derek. 

I really wish he would stop trying to make this band an updated version of 70s Rainbow. I don't mind keys and Derek is a great player, but the keys just don't need to be as upfront as he seems to think they should. 

Ron, Jeff & Billy should be the ones with more control over the song writing process IMO. 

Side note: we have had a Sons of Apollo thread in the other music section, but it got little to no attention. This one seems to be getting a lot more discussion than that one did. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I couldn't agree with you more, specifically about Derek. 

I really wish he would stop trying to make this band an updated version of 70s Rainbow. I don't mind keys and Derek is a great player, but the keys just don't need to be as upfront as he seems to think they should. 

Ron, Jeff & Billy should be the ones with more control over the song writing process IMO. 

Side note: we have had a Sons of Apollo thread in the other music section, but it got little to no attention. This one seems to be getting a lot more discussion than that one did. 

Well, from what I recall, it was Ron and Derek who wrote the majority of the debut album, so the SOA sound is bound to feature them both pretty heavily. Although I do know what you mean, a keyboard solo isn't needed in every fucking song.

I do get the impression that there's a bit of dick swinging going on in this band and I wish Ron would swing his a little harder. lol 

Probably doesn't want the grief after Guns....

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, moreblack said:

I dunno. Portnoy's the star of every band he's in.

Just my opinion: Portnoy is probably the worst drummer I've ever heard. Zero regard to everything else that's going on in the song. This happens on every song he plays and that is what Matt talked about in an interview once: how he hates it when a drummer can't stop doing fills and ruins a vocal line or the entire song.

But the vocalist of this band is really bad imo anyway and Bumble said it best in a very recent interview about this new album: great playing, bad songs and I 100% agree with him. (only heard the single but I won't be listening to it again)

Don't mean to shit on this band but I really miss Bumble's solo output. He's way more interesting to me when he focuses on the tunes instead of this wankfest but this is what he wants to do so whatever. But even for a prog rock group it's not very good to my ears.

Technically they're all obviously great players, super talented and they seem to enjoy what they're doing so more power to them.