Apocalypse Now - Final Cut (cinema re-release)

3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I haven't watched this movie from start to finish.  I recently saw the scene where they slaughtered that cow( I think it was a cow), it was brutal and disturbing. I read that it was real, they filmed a tribe killing the cow. The movie just has a creepy vibe to it, which is the intention.

Edited by lame ass security

13 hours ago, lame ass security said:

I haven't watched this movie from start to finish.  I recently saw the scene where they slaughtered that cow( I think it was a cow), it was brutal and disturbing. I read that it was real, they filmed a tribe killing the cow. The movie just has a creepy vibe to it, which is the intention.

I love it, i think its a work of art, I argue day in and day out that mainstream cinema and popular music are not really art and shouldn't be considered art but its greatest proponents do make it approach that shit and Apocalypse Now is fuckin' art.  That film has a fuckin' soul, it lives and breathes, men truly suffered for its creation, its a beautiful thing and that documentary, The Heart of Darkness: A Filmmakers Journey illustrates just how much.  Easily one of the greatest movies of all time. 

8 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

Unlike Blade Runner this film doesn't need multiple cuts, It was done right the first time.

You know like when you're so fond of something that you just wanna see more regardless of the quality, just as a curiosity?  Thats how I feel about Apocalypse Now.  You're right, the original is definitive but I kinda like Redux too, that scene with the French settlers really speaks to part of the soul of the film, it adds to its themes admirably if not quite to its pacing.  And the extra stuff with the Playboy Bunnies, they're like...as I said before, thematically enriching, they add to it on another level, the madness of it, the objectification of life, the idea that those bunny girls and their lives are like objectified to Lance and Chef and Clean and them, in the same way war objectifies life which is part of that whole speech of Brandos, the whole 'diamond bullet' thing. 

There's a rough cut out there, a 5 hour long workprint of grainy footage of Apocalypse Now, I've seen that too, though to be honest thats only rewarding if you're a bit of a nutty film geek.

Edited by Len Cnut

8 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I love it, i think its a work of art, I argue day in and day out that mainstream cinema and popular music are not really art and shouldn't be considered art but its greatest proponents do make it approach that shit and Apocalypse Now is fuckin' art.  That film has a fuckin' soul, it lives and breathes, men truly suffered for its creation, its a beautiful thing and that documentary, The Heart of Darkness: A Filmmakers Journey illustrates just how much.  Easily one of the greatest movies of all time. 

You know like when you're so fond of something that you just wanna see more regardless of the quality, just as a curiosity?  Thats how I feel about Apocalypse Now.  You're right, the original is definitive but I kinda like Redux too, that scene with the French settlers really speaks to part of the soul of the film, it adds to its themes admirably if not quite to its pacing.  And the extra stuff with the Playboy Bunnies, they're like...as I said before, thematically enriching, they add to it on another level, the madness of it, the objectification of life, the idea that those bunny girls and their lives are like objectified to Lance and Chef and Clean and them, in the same way war objectifies life which is part of that whole speech of Brandos, the whole 'diamond bullet' thing. 

There's a rough cut out there, a 5 hour long workprint of grainy footage of Apocalypse Now, I've seen that too, though to be honest thats only rewarding if you're a bit of a nutty film geek.

I should really watch the entire film before commenting, I was talking more about that one scene. I wasn't questioning its merit as a great film, I guess my post gave that impression. 

37 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

I should really watch the entire film before commenting, I was talking more about that one scene. I wasn't questioning its merit as a great film, I guess my post gave that impression. 

Nah man, not at all, I liked your assessment, especially the creepy vibe bit, there’s not a bit of your post that I disagree with, I was just talking about the movie generally.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

that scene with the French settlers really speaks to part of the soul of the film, it adds to its themes admirably if not quite to its pacing.  And the extra stuff with the Playboy Bunnies, they're like...as I said before, thematically enriching, they add to it on another level, the madness of it

I feel those scenes not only slow the film to a crawl but take away from one of the best (if not THE best) scenes in the entire film - The Do Lung Bridge sequence. That scene perfectly captures the madness and futility of the whole thing (Its masterfully shot and is extremely surreal). In the Redux its sandwiched between those 2 scenes and IMO diminishes its impact.

Edited by -W.A.R-

• 3 months later...
On 05/06/2019 at 3:10 PM, appetite4illusions said:

It's my favorite film so I don't care what scenes are padding out the run-time, i'm just thrilled I get to see it on the big screen for the first time in my life!

Lord knows I'm going to see it with a healthy dose of psychedelics in my system, the way Coppola intended. 

Where do you live?  I only ask because I'm from the South East of England and I can't psychedelics to save my fuckin' life.

11 hours ago, appetite4illusions said:

I live in the northeast of America so right now is a great time for our fungi to be blooming.

You pick that shit yourself?  I'm talking about dealers over here, I wouldn't dare pick no shit like that myself, probably swallow some poisonous shit or something.