The Best chinese democracy songs performance

In my opinion (and keep in mind I don’t remember all of the shows):

1.Chinese Democracy - Download 2006

2.Shackler’s Revenge - Taipei 2009

3.Better - Rock AM Ring 2006

4.The Blues - Boston 2002

5.If the World - Toronto 2010

6.There Was a Time - Taipei 2009 or Hammerstein 2006 (I like them both for different reasons)

7.Catcher in the Rye - L’Arc 2010

8.Scraped - Seoul 2009

9.Riad N’ the Bedouins - House of Blues 2001

10.Sorry - Tokyo or Osaka 2009 (can’t remember which exactly)

11.IRS - Rock AM Ring 2006

12.Madagascar - Rock in Rio 2001

13.This I Love - Dublin 2010

14.Prostitute - Vegas 2014 (last show, ironically)

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

My favourite clip of IRS is only about a minute long but it's awesome, from Edmonton 2010. I saw them the night before, but there's no good videos from that show as security were pricks. The 2010 Canadian tour had some great performances of CD songs. Also:

Shackler's Revenge - London 2010

Sorry - Sydney 2010

If The World - Lima 2010

i dont like so much the If the World song, but I love the rasp version of If the world

like in Chile or Porto alegre 2010

8 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

I've heard pretty much everything out there and to my knowledge he never even went anywhere near it. The best you're gonna hear is on Bucharest 10 or RAR 06 like people have said where he chainsaws a much lower note. 

I've always found it odd because he'll go for insane notes every night in Heaven's Door, Jungle and other places but he's just never tried that IRS note. I mean even near the end of 2017 somewhere he literally was building into the pre-chorus high note on Twat and it just wasn't there. But he was going for it. IRS, never. 

Great info, it doesn't surprise me really. I have heard the isolated vocals from the Rock Band separates and it sounds like a one off feat of banshee-like ad-libbing!

6 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

In my opinion (and keep in mind I don’t remember all of the shows):

1.Chinese Democracy - Download 2006

2.Shackler’s Revenge - Taipei 2009

3.Better - Rock AM Ring 2006

4.The Blues - Boston 2002

5.If the World - Toronto 2010

6.There Was a Time - Taipei 2009 or Hammerstein 2006 (I like them both for different reasons)

7.Catcher in the Rye - L’Arc 2010

8.Scraped - Seoul 2009

9.Riad N’ the Bedouins - House of Blues 2001

10.Sorry - Tokyo or Osaka 2009 (can’t remember which exactly)

11.IRS - Rock AM Ring 2006

12.Madagascar - Rock in Rio 2001

13.This I Love - Dublin 2010

14.Prostitute - Vegas 2014 (last show, ironically)

Prostitute Vegas 14 was insane, also Twat from that night is one of the best, also for the band, it just clicked that night.

Also thought  most Shacklers in 2012 were better than 2010 with less rasp

19 hours ago, 31illusions said:

No mention of The Blues 2002? The best.

Yes!  My favorite version of SOD/The Blues by far.  The soundboard quality of this one is amazing too, very well mixed and very clear

Whatever version I would pick of this song it would be from the 01/02 era where it had those extra parts with the drums and little guitar licks

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Brownstone drum said:

Prostitute Vegas 14 was insane, also Twat from that night is one of the best, also for the band, it just clicked that night.

Also thought  most Shacklers in 2012 were better than 2010 with less rasp

I think the last show of Vegas 2014 was that good because they all knew it was the last show of the “NuGnR” era, so they wanted to give it their all and go out on a high. It was the first time TWAT and Prostitute were played live in a while, and also the first time Yesterdays was played live since 1993, I think. Wasn’t Izzy also there? Can’t remember for sure, but he was definitely at one or two of those shows, on that run.

44 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Yes!  My favorite version of SOD/The Blues by far.  The soundboard quality of this one is amazing too, very well mixed and very clear

Whatever version I would pick of this song it would be from the 01/02 era where it had those extra parts with the drums and little guitar licks

I will never understand why that lead guitar part was taken out of the song. I remember hearing it for the first time live and being so excited to hear the studio version of that part. When the record finally came out in 2008 I was so sad to discover that the lead riffs were all gone from the song. Then I remember being super happy when the 2001 studio demo (with the lead parts intact) finally leaked in 2018. I was able to hear it once on YouTube, before it got taken down. Haven’t been able to find it since, but it was nice to have at least heard it once. iirc, PitMan’s parts were a little different on it too. Less orchestral and more “techno” or something.

Edited by rocknroll41

3 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

I think the last show of Vegas 2014 was that good because they all knew it was the last show of the “NuGnR” era, so they wanted to give it their all and go out on a high. It was the first time TWAT and Prostitute were played live in a while, and also the first time Yesterdays was played live since 1993, I think. Wasn’t Izzy also there? Can’t remember for sure, but he was definitely at one or two of those shows, on that run.

Just to clarify: Prostitute wasn't played at the last show, but it was played at the 2 shows prior to the final one (June 4th and 6th, 2014). They did play TWAT and Yesterdays at the final show, though. Izzy wasn't at any of the 2014 shows, but Duff played several full shows with the band (some in South America, some in Vegas)... the last time Izzy played with the band was at the 2012 residency: November 23 and 24, 2012.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Just to clarify: Prostitute wasn't played at the last show, but it was played at the 2 shows prior to the final one (June 4th and 6th, 2014). They did play TWAT and Yesterdays at the final show, though. Izzy wasn't at any of the 2014 shows, but Duff played several full shows with the band (some in South America, some in Vegas)... the last time Izzy played with the band was at the 2012 residency: November 23 and 24, 2012.

Thanks for clarifying!

On 07/06/2019 at 7:27 PM, Jordan Rose said:

I'll have to re-visit Boston Blues, never remembered it being a big deal. 

Forgot about Dublin '10. For any new people, Axl had a strop that night and performed most of the set literally stood still at his mic stand so not only did you get insane 2010 vocals (he still gave 100%) but without catching his breath from running. I need to re-visit that too. 

Was there a reason for the strop axl had that night?. Sounds like what happened at the london gig @DieselDaisy attended, where people were throwing things.

Edited by Sydney Fan

Only including “Chinese era (2001-2014)” performances:

Chinese - Rio 2001 (even though this omits the fantastic Bucket solo)

Shacklers - Chilé 2010

Better - RAR 2006/Bucharest 2010

The Blues - Dublin 2010/Boston 2002

If - Canada or South America 2010

TWAT - Hammerstein 2006, there’s probably a better 2009/2010 performance but I’m blanking out 

Catcher - L’arc 2010

Scraped - Edmonton 2010

Riad - Pukkelpop 2002

Sorry - Sydney 2010

IRS - Bucharest 2010/RAR 2006

Madagascar - Rio 2001

This I Love - Arnhem 2010

Prostitute - Vegas 2014

———BONUS———

Oh My God - Rio 2001

Silkworms - HOB 2001

Better at Download 2006 - the best version vocally by far. Axl just standing there very angry at the crowd but it sounds amazing lol

Madagascar Bucharest 2006 - yeah that improvised Axl outro at the end is so great making it 10 times more epic

On 6/6/2019 at 11:56 PM, SoundOfAGun said:

Did Axl ever do that insane scream into the guitar solo of IRS that is on the studio version live?

Yeah, London 2010.

I also love Madagascar from London 2010, some additional epic screams that aren't on the studio versio=I also love Madagascar from London 2010, some additional epic screams that aren't on the studio version. The instrumental intro from Bumble & Fortus is cool, too.

Edited by Amir

2 hours ago, Amir said:

Yeah, London 2010.

You sure about that? I don't think he did, I mean reaching that exact note on the I.R.S scream in the studio version. Not sure he ever even attempted it but I could be wrong.

Edited by Rovim

3 minutes ago, Brownstone drum said:

Does anyone think the current line-up has played any CD tracks better than previous line-ups?

Only ones that comes to mind for me are Better, Sorry and I do like Madagascar now

Only the title-track, I like Slash and Melissa's additions on that one. This I Love was sometimes better, but the solo was too inconsistent. I like that they started doing part of the piano outro to Prostitute in 2017, too.

18 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Only the title-track, I like Slash and Melissa's additions on that one. This I Love was sometimes better, but the solo was too inconsistent. I like that they started doing part of the piano outro to Prostitute in 2017, too.

Really don't like This I Love now, quite like the way Axl sings Madagascar now and sounds good with less going on

I always enjoyed the live performances of Shacklers Revenge. My dad and I heard it in Chicago in 2011, and again in Detroit in 2012. I wish they still played it, they need a guitarist capable of playing those kinds of songs, or re-work it slightly for Slash. I'd imagine Richard could play lead on it. Is Richard technically superior to Slash? Axl sounded way meaner and more intense on this song live than on the album version, which I still enjoy.

Edited by Sweersa

33 minutes ago, Brownstone drum said:

Really don't like This I Love now, quite like the way Axl sings Madagascar now and sounds good with less going on

It's one of the songs that was a highlight at the early NITL shows, but was pretty bad by 2017-18. (same with Coma, My Michelle, etc.) But the 2016 versions were the best since 2010.

Madagascar is cool too, it's another one where Melissa's backing vocals are really good.