HBO minseries Chernobyl (2019)

Yes. Been discussing it a bit in the tv series thread or whatever. Listening to the podcast as we speak.

Great, amazing series. Planning on rewatching it as well. It's not too long and I thing especially the first episode will become clearer now I've watched it all.

9 hours ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

Surprised there isn't a thread yet. This show has exploded in popularity. I watched all five episodes and it was amazing. Anyone else seen it?

I see what you did there :book: 

Yeah, it was fantastic. Maybe not the single greatest TV show I've ever seen, but I could probably argue best miniseries. 

57 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

I see what you did there :book: 

Yeah, it was fantastic. Maybe not the single greatest TV show I've ever seen, but I could probably argue best miniseries. 

Oh yeah, as a minseries it beats all others. Even Band of Brothers. It is beautifully written and acted. 

Comparing it to other TV shows that run for several seasons is unfair. Most shows grow stale after 3 or 4 seasons. Chernobyl has a luxury of having five episodes to tell the whole story.

• GNFNR 1

Yes it's really good and also quite harrowing. I can remember Chernobyl happening but only have vague memories due to my young age at the time. It was really interesting to revisit what happened as  an adult now I can comprehend the enormity of it. I didn't realise it was so close to becoming an even bigger disaster on an unimaginable scale.

It's absolutely amazing. The atmosphere they succeeded in creating makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end. Scenes like the people on the bridge in the first episode. The total ignorence people seemed to have about what was going on (which obviously was in no way their own fault). Brilliant acting. Amazingly done. 

On 8-6-2019 at 4:24 AM, Powerage5 said:

Maybe not the single greatest TV show I've ever seen, but I could probably argue best miniseries. 

On 8-6-2019 at 5:22 AM, Georgy Zhukov said:

Oh yeah, as a minseries it beats all others. Even Band of Brothers.

Band of Brothers is also the only miniseries thing I can think of that would rival it. I wouldn't know which one I consider to be better. Band of Brothers was fantastic as well. Impossible to call. 

I really enjoyed this one, i love how they stayed pretty close to what went down. I'm somewhat of a chernobyl buff so i was ready for the series to take to much creative liberties and incorporate stuff that didnt happen but it didnt.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, grouse said:

I really enjoyed this one, i love how they stayed pretty close to what went down. I'm somewhat of a chernobyl buff so i was ready for the series to take to much creative liberties and incorporate stuff that didnt happen but it didnt.

Having watched the series and listened to the podcast, I'm ready to read some more about it. Any recommendations? In the podcast they mentioned Voices of Chernobyl. So I'm thinking about reading that one.

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoyed watching this, binge watched it over 2 days.

I felt a sense of guilt after watching it because it seemed like so many people gave their own lives or health to prevent deaths across the continent. If the series is true to life then as a European I should feel guilty for not knowing the names of those who died to save us :(

21 minutes ago, downliner said:

I enjoyed watching this, binge watched it over 2 days.

I felt a sense of guilt after watching it because it seemed like so many people gave their own lives or health to prevent deaths across the continent. If the series is true to life then as a European I should feel guilty for not knowing the names of those who died to save us :(

You should listen to the podcast. I really enjoyed that too, and they talk about what's true to life. Most is.

On 16-6-2019 at 4:25 PM, EvanG said:

What is interesting, and eerie, is that Pripyat and Chernobyl have google streetview and you can virtually walk through those ghost towns.

You can also just book a tourist trip there and you can walk around. The radiation levels have dropped enough for it to become a popular tourist destination. 

1 hour ago, username said:

You can also just book a tourist trip there and you can walk around. The radiation levels have dropped enough for it to become a popular tourist destination. 

When I ''scrolled'' through those towns with streetview I noticed how many people were walking around there, and then I read somewhere about those tours. It would be interesting for sure, but I'd probably pass on it.