So I met the designer of the Locked N' Loaded box set

I was thinking someone might want to interview him. I could get hold of him again I guess. I don't know if he would be okay with talking about things like disputes though, considering he's an employee of Universal. He lives in London btw.

8 hours ago, Nice Boy said:

I was thinking someone might want to interview him. I could get hold of him again I guess. I don't know if he would be okay with talking about things like disputes though, considering he's an employee of Universal. He lives in London btw.

Good story dude. Judging by sales the band were right about all the gimmicks. 

I wonder who it was at the record company insisting on including temporary tattoos. Someone must have felt strong enough about it. 

It was like they catered the box toward children when the average buyer was probably middle-aged (are they supposed to give the rings and tattoos to their kids?)

It strange they insisted those items be added to the point it came to an impasse with the band :lol:

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

He may have been told the band didn't want all the gimmicks in the set, but that's absolutely not true. If that were true, the band themselves would not have reached out to Trocoli to obtain and copy all of thing things included in the set.

Wasn't that just the banner? IMO that is the one cool gimmicky item.

Edit: Forgot about the flyers - those are useless.

Edited by -W.A.R-

8 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

Wasn't that just the banner? IMO that is the one cool gimmicky item.

Edit: Forgot about the flyers - those are useless.

I can't even remember everything in the set and I own one lol. However, I'm pretty sure everything outside of newly produced items like the rings & pins were all reproduced from Tim's collection. 

25 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

He may have been told the band didn't want all the gimmicks in the set, but that's absolutely not true. If that were true, the band themselves would not have reached out to Trocoli to obtain and copy all of thing things included in the set. 

Why would that guy be told a false story about that, though? What would be the purpose? It doesn't make sense.

He said that the band didn't want "all the gimmicks to go in," so maybe they liked the idea of putting the banner in there, for example, maybe some flyers too, but not the rings, temporary tattoos, lithos etc.

32 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

The claim that the band wanted as much music as possible in the set is also false. They have access to so much more material from that era, which has been well documented on this site. They openly chose not to include a good chunk of audio in order to have it available for future release / money making opportunites.

Do we know if the bands owns that material, though, like the Ritz show for example? We know that there is material from Marc Canter's vault that could've been included, but there are other issues there.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Why would that guy be told a false story about that, though? What would be the purpose? It doesn't make sense.

He said that the band didn't want "all the gimmicks to go in," so maybe they liked the idea of putting the banner in there, for example, maybe some flyers too, but not the rings, temporary tattoos, lithos etc.

Do we know if the bands owns that material, though, like the Ritz show for example? We know that there is material from Marc Canter's vault that could've been included, but there are other issues there.

I couldn't being to tell you why he was told that, but he must have heard it somewhere. The fact remains that the band themselves actively pursued the originals of the things included with the set, so they obviously wanted to include it.

As far as what audio they own or not, I don't know that either but I'm absolutely certain they do own more audio that could have been include but wasn't.

I'm no knocking the set or anything because again, I own one. I'm just saying that anyone floating the idea out there that the band wanted to set to be more focued on music than it is, is just not stating fact. 

Hard to be surprised about the band wanting the box to be more about the music, and less about the crap to fill it out like reproduced flyers, buttons, temp tats, etc.  Regarding the claim that the band has access to more in the vault from that era that could have been included, I'm assuming there are legal issues with some of it regarding ownership and rights to release stuff like Jumping Jack Flash.

Thinking about it, I still need a digital rip of the cassette included in the box.  :lol:

2 minutes ago, Gackt said:

Hard to be surprised about the band wanting the box to be more about the music, and less about the crap to fill it out like reproduced flyers, buttons, temp tats, etc.  Regarding the claim that the band has access to more in the vault from that era that could have been included, I'm assuming there are legal issues with some of it regarding ownership and rights to release stuff like Jumping Jack Flash.

Thinking about it, I still need a digital rip of the cassette included in the box.  :lol:

Jumping Jack Flash was included on the box set tho... what’s more bizarre is why stuff like Don’t Cry and Perfect Crime were not included. Weren’t both of those also done at Sound City 1986?

5 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I hope the band will be as hands on when it comes to the illusions anniversary.

Do we even know if there will be an anniversary release for UYI though? That era is not as celebrated as AFD is, and there probably isn’t much from those studio sessions that can be used cause the band pretty much put everything that they had out by that point. The closest thing I can see is them finally cutting together the documentary, though that would only serve to show just how excessive and overblown the band became at that time. If anything, maybe they’ll finally release some of the pro shots from the concerts. I guess that’d be a cool way to celebrate the UYI anniversary. Even that’s a stretch, though, knowing this band.

9 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Jumping Jack Flash was included on the box set tho... what’s more bizarre is why stuff like Don’t Cry and Perfect Crime were not included. Weren’t both of those also done at Sound City 1986?

I almost forgot about that and Heartbreak Hotel :lol: considering OIAM's omission, it's not unreasonable that the band had other tracks that they didn't feel were worthy of inclusion..I tried searching the 86 Uzi Session's tracks to see if they were identical to Sound City's, but youtube's been wiped clean.

https://www.discogs.com/Guns-N-Roses-Uzi-Session-1986/release/6786866

3 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Do we even know if there will be an anniversary release for UYI though? That era is not as celebrated as AFD is, and there probably isn’t much from those studio sessions that can be used cause the band pretty much put everything that they had out by that point. The closest thing I can see is them finally cutting together the documentary, though that would only serve to show just how excessive and overblown the band became at that time. If anything, maybe they’ll finally release some of the pro shots from the concerts. I guess that’d be a cool way to celebrate the UYI anniversary. Even that’s a stretch, though, knowing this band.

Yeah, but fortunately for the fans this band is all about taking snippets of outtakes that have been online for decades, packaging them in a pretty little box, and charging their fan base absorbent prices, knowing that there are some that will actually pay for such "relics". This gives me hope that the UYI anniversary will be no different.

I don't know about you, but I want all 30 outtakes of Steven trying to play 'Civil War'. If I could get that and a plastic nose ring, that's well worth a grand to me.

I firmly beleive there has to b er tra c ks, demos of song songs that didnt make the cut. They were on a tight schedule during the illusions recording so im sure that if there were songs that they didnt have the time to put together then those songs were scrapped or maybe they had a list of known and doable songs that although were in a skeleton form wouldnt take long to put together. The video footage yes, i want to see all theatre 91 shows, all shows that were on pro shot including any footage of the guns/skidrow 91 show, perfect crime doco etc. Even release the illusions songs even in proper demo form.

Though i know the illusions period wasnt a good mental state for axl and its probably at this period where the wheels were falling off in order for them to progress forward as a band. The marketing of the albums back then was massive. The lineup around tower records at midnight should prove there was a big expectation of the release. If the band, ie current lineup did marketing for both afd and lies, illusions has to be included and hopefully remastered.

Edited by Sydney Fan

20 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

5 minutes ago, Gackt said:

I almost forgot about that and Heartbreak Hotel :lol: considering OIAM's omission, it's not unreasonable that the band had other tracks that they didn't feel were worthy of inclusion..I tried searching the 86 Uzi Session's tracks to see if they were identical to Sound City's, but youtube's been wiped clean.

https://www.discogs.com/Guns-N-Roses-Uzi-Session-1986/release/6786866

I don't think there's a known recording of Perfect Crime from pre-/AFD era sessions.

This thread is very useful as to what was included in the box set and what wasn't as far as demos go:

34 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I don't think there's a known recording of Perfect Crime from pre-/AFD era sessions.

This thread is very useful as to what was included in the box set and what wasn't as far as demos go:

Thanks for sharing. In reading through that chart, it looks like the only song from the sound city sessions that didn’t make it onto the box set was Don’t Cry. Everything else that was left off seems to just be alternate takes of other songs that are already on there.

really strange that Don’t Cry was left though. Like... why? Isn’t it one of their biggest songs?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Thanks for sharing. In reading through that chart, it looks like the only song from the sound city sessions that didn’t make it onto the box set was Don’t Cry. Everything else that was left off seems to just be alternate takes of other songs that are already on there.

really strange that Don’t Cry was left though. Like... why? Isn’t it one of their biggest songs?

Guessing because it was released officially on the illusions record and not on appetite. They might be holding stuff over for a illusions release.