DUFF MCKAGAN Says First GUNS N' ROSES Reunion Show At Troubadour Was 'Nerve-Racking'

I don't think anyone spends time on this board because they dislike the band, at some point we signed up here because of our interest in GNR... they're my all-time favourite band, but the current version of the band does deserve it's share of criticism. Obviously there are positive aspects to the band as well but some of the negatives are so glaringly obvious that it's not surprising they're discussed.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

the current version of the band does deserve it's share of criticism.

All the versions of the band does deserved/deserve its share of criticism...The difference is that back in the day we had no Internet to make circles on the sand with the negatives things.

45 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Of course people have opinions, but I see a difference between a mildly "disgruntled" fan and a person who says Axl can’t sing any more ever again, Slash’s guitar play is boring, Duff is too woke (having gone there from "spineless"), and it’s just shite without Izzy anyway. In such case, I sincerely don’t understand why even bother coming here or expecting anything from the band at all. 

I think it's Guns'N'Roses forum, not "current version of Guns'N'Roses forum", so I don't understand "if you don't like it, why are you here" logic...

As for expecting- I don't expect anything...

One of the biggest bands got together

When??? Have I missed something???

Edited by acor

35 minutes ago, acor said:

I think it's Guns'N'Roses forum, not "current version of Guns'N'Roses forum", so I don't understand "if you don't like it, why are you here" logic...

I interpret this as more of a warning about wasting time and lose your mind on something that no longer pleases you...on something that you have no control over it..And there’s a lot of logic on this. Sorry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oldest Goat said:

I am an impatient dick tbh and was born in 91' so I'm fairly spoiled and late to the waiting game - I do remember the time of no internet at all, dial-up etc a bit though so can appreciate our modern luxuries(even though I think some aspects like social media is making society socially retarded).

I think Axl at least some of the time despite his efforts chooses to sing clean/poorly, it's shit Izzy & Steven isn't there, Slash's guitar can be boring(Rocket Queen which is one of my favourite songs sucks live because of his mindless noodling) and Duff is embarrassing himself by being, yes, pathetic and spineless.

Now what? You hate me and want me to never use the forum?

I'm not trying to be aggressive/argumentative and I know you're not targeting me with what you said I'm just trying to give some perspective because let's be real you're thinking of @DieselDaisy lol and what maybe a few other posters out of over 50,000 who are consistently very negative about the band? That's not much to object to, is it? :shrugs:

No, I don’t hate you, I was talking more about people who completely gave up on the band in all respects and all they do is spread negativity. I just don’t see the point there. Why waste time? As usual, the truth is somewhere between; I’m not one of those HTGTH people who adore anything the musicians do or say and there is absolutely no place for even a tiny bit of negativity, otherwise you’re automatically a hater. But this is the other extreme. I don’t know how many people post here regularly, but this seems to be quite a huge everyday chunk of repeated crap...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Oh, sorry, of course – Izzy and Steven / Matt and Gilby / Robin and Brain / ... (fill in whatever your choice is) are no longer there, so the rest does not apply, by any means, right. 
Funny that people still considered them Guns N’ Roses during the UYI tour, even though the two fellas had already been gone. 
Anyway, let’s not get into this meaningless discussion here again. 

That UYI tour you're reffering to was arguably biggest farce in history of this band (though competition is very strong), lol...

7 minutes ago, acor said:

That UYI tour you're reffering to was arguably biggest farce in history of this band (though competition is very strong), lol...

Seriously? Ok, we’re on completely different planets here. Good luck and everything. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Derick said:

All the versions of the band does deserved/deserve its share of criticism...The difference is that back in the day we had no Internet to make circles on the sand with the negatives things.

I dunno.. They were pretty fucking bad ass back in the day.... The criticism didn't really start until around 92 when Axl's ego grew out of control.  Before that they were pretty damn near perfect. I thought anyway. 

On 6/11/2019 at 2:49 PM, Towelie said:

Not necessarily.

Have you ever tried singing, like properly? I've been studying it for years and the capacity for the human voice to change depending on external variables reaches far and wide. The slightest bit of stress can add tension to the body, and anybody who knows anything about singing will tell you that bodily tension is the worst enemy of a singer.

Axl delivering a sub-par show vocally is not necessarily a sign that he hasn't rehearsed or prepared. Stress, poor diet, lack of hydration, tiredness... all of these things can adversely effect a singers performance on any given day.

Granted, he gets better as the shows progress, but there is absolutely no way he would be able to reach any of the top notes in songs like Jungle, Paradise City, Nightrain, KOHD etc if he didn't spend months rehearsing every day before the first show of a tour.

I believe the strain he put on his voice back in the early days w/o proper vocal training or at least following advice of an expert(s) is what led to the downgrade in the quality of it. Along with aging, of course.

19 hours ago, acor said:

Why was the tour a farce?. If your interested in the CD lineups over the years over the AFD/illusions lineups then fine. But id like to know why thd tour was a farce. I saw them on that tour.

21 hours ago, jamillos said:

Of course people have opinions, but I see a difference between a mildly "disgruntled" fan and a person who says Axl can’t sing any more ever again, Slash’s guitar play is boring, Duff is too woke (having gone there from "spineless"), and it’s just shite without Izzy anyway. In such case, I sincerely don’t understand why even bother coming here or expecting anything from the band at all. 
And as for the "criticism" they deserve – I’ve said it here before, but it’s clear that people just won’t see it from the necessary perspective. One of the biggest bands got together after everyone had lost any hope long ago. Their reunion tour took about 3 years – same as the Illusions – and included Axl’s AC/DC chapter. The tour only ended some 6 months ago, yet some people already feel entitled and bash the band as to how they can be so lazy and selfish and how dare they not release new stuff within a few months, also regardless of the fact that some of the musicians have been doing their solo shows recently. 
Seriously, what do we really have to complain about? In this era of shows streamed through phones and fans watching each of them knowing the playlist in advance, don’t you think people are a bit fucking spoiled? Remember the 90s? 
Yes, the playlist was stale, but they only do a single show in your city for you, don’t they? 
As for the record, it’s been just 6 months – do your really want them to rush it and release a half-assed album just because you’re an impatient dick and after those 20 years can’t wait for a several few more months? 
Get real. 

Some people don't have any concept that these a people, who change over the course of 30-35 years, and this is their career/business.

It was actually kind of shocking to have Axl/Slash reunited and have it quickly turn into "but what about Steven"? Hell freezes over and we get what we never, ever thought we'd get and we move onto the next complaint.

2 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Why was the tour a farce?. If your interested in the CD lineups over the years over the AFD/illusions lineups then fine. But id like to know why thd tour was a farce. I saw them on that tour.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/guns-n-roses-horns/

"Horn sections", "Backing singers", and "Gilby Clarke"...

Edited by acor

3 hours ago, acor said:

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/guns-n-roses-horns/

"Horn sections", "Backing singers", and "Gilby Clarke"...

😄 i wouldnt have called it a farce, more like an extravagance. Axl wanted the whole lot , horn section backup go go dancers more so than the other band members. But i think they had to go through that extravagance then to not go there again now . Gilby had to come into the band  no choice there.

Edited by Sydney Fan