Appetite for Distortion - Rob Janas and Kevin Fleming talk Axl Rose in Looney Tunes | Ep. 126

6 minutes ago, WAR41 said:

Wow.  Brilliant episode @Gambit83.  Kevin and Rob are some of the luckiest people on the planet to witness Axl Rose in his element in the recording studio. Outside of band members, management and close friends/family I'm not sure there are many other people who can say they've witnessed Axl recording music.  Incredible story.  

I'm not sure if it was discussed and then edited out, but did you really emphasize how massive of an accomplishment it was that this was Axl's first new recorded/officially vocals since Chinese Democracy (yes I'm excluding the box set that some claim Axl re-recorded vocals for)?  Also I know the song is officially up on YouTube, but if it were ever released commercially I am guessing Kevin would get royalties on it along with Axl.  I wonder if there were any legal obstacles with GNR's label to get Axl to appear. This whole story is SO unlikely, its just incredible that they pulled it off. 

Thanks for getting this story out there.  

Nothing was edited out. FYI I do give that option to guests so they're 100% comfortable. I was grateful on how open they were. And the fact they are both huge GNR fans, I think they still can't believe it happened.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Gambit83 said:

Nothing was edited out. FYI I do give that option to guests so they're 100% comfortable. I was grateful on how open they were. And the fact they are both huge GNR fans, I think they still can't believe it happened.

I know you like to do things 100% live, but was just curious if they really understood the gravity of what they accomplished and maybe it was edited out.  It feels like they know it was big, but not sure they know how big.  But fantastic episode buddy.  Such a great story and to hear any little bit about Axl's process in the studio from firsthand witnesses was fantastic.  I am not sure we've ever really heard about it in micro detail outside of band members who have maybe mentioned it over the years, but likely at the macro level. 

• GNFNR 1

10 minutes ago, WAR41 said:

I know you like to do things 100% live, but was just curious if they really understood the gravity of what they accomplished and maybe it was edited out.  It feels like they know it was big, but not sure they know how big.  But fantastic episode buddy.  Such a great story and to hear any little bit about Axl's process in the studio from firsthand witnesses was fantastic.  I am not sure we've ever really heard about it in micro detail outside of band members who have maybe mentioned it over the years, but likely at the macro level. 

They considered Steven Tyler for a second when they thought Axl wouldn't happen, but they knew the value in having Axl Rose be the guy.

2 hours ago, Gambit83 said:

as in the specific date? There's a funny story when they told him 9, assuming it was known as 9am because voiceovers is a day job for people, but Axl came at 9 at night.

Like month and year? Like did it happen within the last year before that song came out, or was it a long time ago?

2 hours ago, Gambit83 said:

as in the specific date? There's a funny story when they told him 9, assuming it was known as 9am because voiceovers is a day job for people, but Axl came at 9 at night.

Axl is still incorrigible!! Very funny story :D

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MaskingApathy said:

Like month and year? Like did it happen within the last year before that song came out, or was it a long time ago?

They said it was sometime after GnR returned from their European tour, so it was probably late 2017-early 2018 (I think it's less likely that it happened after the 2018 Euro festival dates - the time window is too small).

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

They said it was sometime after GnR returned from their European tour, so it was probably late 2017-early 2018 (I think it's less likely that it happened after the 2018 Euro festival dates - the time window is too small).

What? The 2018 European shows ended in late July, they didn't do anything else until November and the Looney Toons episode leaked around Christmas.... how do you figure he didn't have enough time? :lol:

3 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

What? The 2018 European shows ended in late July, they didn't do anything else until November and the Looney Toons episode leaked around Christmas.... how do you figure he didn't have enough time? :lol:

I meant that the time window might have been small for the production the show, not for Axl. But I don't know how much time it takes to prepare a Looney Tunes episode, so you may be right.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I meant that the time window might have been small for the production the show, not for Axl. But I don't know how much time it takes to prepare a Looney Tunes episode, so you may be right.

They said the recording itself took 3 hours. The song was approved beforehand. Seemed like the dialogue script was read first at the recording by the way they described some of Axl's reactions.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gambit83 said:

They said the recording itself took 3 hours. The song was approved beforehand. Seemed like the dialogue script was read first at the recording by the way they described some of Axl's reactions.

I assume that an amount of time is needed to produce the episode after the voice-over is recorded, i.e. to make the animation and sync it with the vocals. 

According to this post, the recording of the voice-over is one of the first stages of creating an episode, and the stages that follow take longer:

https://www.studiopigeon.com/blog/how-long-does-it-take-to-produce-an-animation/

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

I assume that an amount of time is needed to produce the episode after the voice-over is recorded, i.e. to make the animation and sync it with the vocals. 

According to this post, the recording of the voice-over is one of the first stages of creating an episode, and the stages that follow take longer:

https://www.studiopigeon.com/blog/how-long-does-it-take-to-produce-an-animation/

Oh, the WHOLE process. Something I can ask next time one of them comes on. 

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Cool thanks.

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It could've been either time. He was basically there just one day.

3 minutes ago, Gambit83 said:

Oh, the WHOLE process. Something I can ask next time one of them comes on. 

That would be great! And maybe if they remember about when the recording took place.

--------

I think they said that Axl (through management) gave instructions on how he wanted his cartoon self look like? (I didn't catch that part well). If so, maybe you could ask them if Axl wanted to be depicted as blond-haired. :lol:

• Haha 1

Just now, Blackstar said:

I think they said that Axl (through management) gave instructions on how he wanted his cartoon self look like? (I didn't catch that part well). If so, maybe you could ask them if Axl wanted to be depicted as blond-haired. :lol:

They gave specifics about the bandannas and dog collars representing his deceased pets.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

The dog collars are his deceased pets? I didn't hear that...ohhhh 

"They were really detailed and really specific and they were wanting like the Bandanas, certain bandanas on his leg a certain way. And he has, um, I guess his dog collars for the dogs that he's had in his life who's deceased."

Edited by Gambit83
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1