Jump to content

The Bon Jovi Distaster


Recommended Posts

On 10/2/2019 at 9:30 AM, LovelessNL said:

2 songs into this; 

Still behind my earlier opinion; he has no power, its very nasal, there's almost no difference in pitch (high/lows), on the second song he's struggling to keep up and if you look at his face it looks as if it just hurts to sing.

 

Hang it up, JBJ.

So many problems with this show, holy shit. For one, the background vocalists seem to be mixed higher than Bon Jovi himself. But beyond that, you're right, he looks and sounds like he's in pain for most of the notes that are outside of like...a speaking range, especially on the notes he tries to use vibrato on. And then he passes off so many of the lines to the crowd...jesus, I can't imagine being a fan and shelling out potentially hundreds of dollars to hear someone that sounds like an 80 year old man croaking.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Even some of the huge singles are good, but there are also a lot of bubblegum and sappy ballads in their repertoire and I think that is why some people don't take them very seriously. Hey God was

You guys can`t compare Axl`s and Jon`s performances. Jon`s voice is just straight dead; he is stuck with 3-4 lower notes and no power in his voice at all. He can`t sing anymore- period. Axl has had hi

I completely agree. I rarely watch their 80s bootlegs/listen to their music from that era. The 1990s is really when Bon Jovi became a formidable force in both songwriting and showmanship. From 1992-19

On 3-10-2019 at 4:08 AM, StrangerInThisTown said:

They actually have very good songs buried in their albums that aren't huge singles. But people who only know the hits don't know that. Homebound Train, Hey God, Damned, only hardcore fans know of songs like those.

Even some of the huge singles are good, but there are also a lot of bubblegum and sappy ballads in their repertoire and I think that is why some people don't take them very seriously.

Hey God was a hit though... I remember them playing it at the EMA's and they were on fire... at the top of their game for sure.

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 24/08/2019 at 12:13 AM, EvanG said:

What else can he do but try his best? Not try? Phone it in like some singers out there?

Listen to this clip, he's struggling so hard but doing the best he can performing a very difficult song, especially in the chorus, and it's not great, there isn't a lot of power left, but he's doing it because he knows the fans want to hear it, being one of their biggest hits and a crowd favourite. And I don't think he's doing a terrible job, meaning that he isn't singing out of tune or phoning it in, especially considering how hard this song is and his voice isn't what it used to be. If this isn't good enough for you, fine, then don't buy a ticket.

 

Just had a listen. Sounds like someone doing karaoke and not jbj.

No power or balls. 

He really needs Richie back to help with backing vocals/harmony too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

I just learned about Jon Bons Community Restaurants and farm! This is too cool!! Ive no doubt made jokes at Bon Jovis expense and his voice indeed seems shot, but on the other hand he's doing incredible things with his position. Anyone can eat at his very nice restaurants, even if they cant afford to pay!! Sorry its slightly OT but this has just filled me with Christmas joy. Good for Jon Bon Jovi :headbang:

https://jbjsoulkitchen.org/

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/10/2019 at 3:20 PM, Axeli said:

Rock bands should not go to RIR. They all sound terribly in these live footages. Still the crowd seem to have fun. Mixing sucks..

Not true. Aerosmith were great the very same year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/10/2019 at 10:38 PM, EvanG said:

Even some of the huge singles are good, but there are also a lot of bubblegum and sappy ballads in their repertoire and I think that is why some people don't take them very seriously.

Hey God was a hit though... I remember them playing it at the EMA's and they were on fire... at the top of their game for sure.

 

That version of Hey God sounds killer! I love how Richie is adding extra licks to the riff and little extra solos in there too. It’s almost a shame they aren’t on the studio version. 

I gotta ask too, is there another guitarist on stage playing in the shadows next to Richie there?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 months later...

I can imagine that all the new stuff is written within his range. It's not like his voice is completely shot, he just can't reach those high notes anymore and unfortunately most of the old Bon Jovi songs are vocally tough.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

 

Another new track from their new album, this one was written during quarentine and added to the album since they have postponed its release. I think the verse is pretty great while the chorus has too much backing vocals overall. Lyrically a very fitting track to add during this time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

The new album is pretty good, and a lot more interesting rock-wise than in a long while.

Blood in the water(!) is maybe the best one, very Dry County-ish but with a dash of Pink Floyd and Dire Straits mixed in. 

This, Story of love and Beautiful Drug have some really good guitar work by Phil X who replaced Sambora.

Brothers in arms is another rocker with some Creedence vibes and the slow songs are not love ballads but interesting and moody

Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s exactly what I thought of Blood in the Water. It’s like this album’s Dry County. Very similar in melody, so much so, you could almost sing chorus lines from Dry County to this song and they wouldn’t seem out of place.

The other song I really liked was Brothers In Arms, it feels like a Keep the Faith b-side. I could even forgive them for ripping off U2’s When Love Comes to Town in parts of it. I was impressed by how good Jon’s voice sounded in this one, it’s straight out of Keep the Faith era.

Beautiful Drug is kind of a by numbers Bon Jovi pop rock number, but one of the others I kinda liked on the album too. Nice guitar solo too.

Unbroken wasn’t too bad either.

But the rest I found pretty forgettable, as it has this boring Imagine Dragons vibe washed over the songs, that I absolutely hate.

I really wish they took the entire album in the direction of Blood in the Water, it could’ve been a really good return to form

As it is, it’s a mostly meh album with a couple of good tracks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, metallex78 said:

That’s exactly what I thought of Blood in the Water. It’s like this album’s Dry County. Very similar in melody, so much so, you could almost sing chorus lines from Dry County to this song and they wouldn’t seem out of place.

The other song I really liked was Brothers In Arms, it feels like a Keep the Faith b-side. I could even forgive them for ripping off U2’s When Love Comes to Town in parts of it. I was impressed by how good Jon’s voice sounded in this one, it’s straight out of Keep the Faith era.

Beautiful Drug is kind of a by numbers Bon Jovi pop rock number, but one of the others I kinda liked on the album too. Nice guitar solo too.

Unbroken wasn’t too bad either.

But the rest I found pretty forgettable, as it has this boring Imagine Dragons vibe washed over the songs, that I absolutely hate.

I really wish they took the entire album in the direction of Blood in the Water, it could’ve been a really good return to form

As it is, it’s a mostly meh album with a couple of good tracks. 

I really feel JBJ needs to go back to the sound and songwritibg from keep the faith.

Drop the country stuff, and use that sort of music as a solo thing. With the way USA is at the moment im sure he could get into the same sort of songwriting like bruce springsteen. Write about where america is and songs about the working man. I dont know why he used BJ as a vehicle for the country stuff. He should have released that sort of music as a solo thing. Like the music he did for the young guns soundtrack.

Edited by Sydney Fan
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

I really feel JBJ needs to go back to the sound and songwritibg from keep the faith.

Drop the country stuff, and use that sort of music as a solo thing. With the way USA is at the moment im sure he could get into the same sort of songwriting like bruce springsteen. Write about where america is and songs about the working man. I dont know why he used BJ as a vehicle for the country stuff. He should have released that sort of music as a solo thing. Like the music he did for the young guns soundtrack.

I have listened to it a few times through YouTube but it doesn't sound like a country record to me. And this record is very much about where America is at this moment in time, so I'm not sure what you mean.

In my opinion they were at their best during the Keep the Faith and These Days era. Richie seemed to have a big influence on those records too.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, EvanG said:

I have listened to it a few times through YouTube but it doesn't sound like a country record to me. And this record is very much about where America is at this moment in time, so I'm not sure what you mean.

In my opinion they were at their best during the Keep the Faith Slippery when wet and These Days New Jersey era. Richie seemed to have a big influence on those records too.

 

There. Corrected that for you.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I dont know why he used BJ as a vehicle for the country stuff. He should have released that sort of music as a solo thing. Like the music he did for the young guns soundtrack.

Well. By now BJ is a solo project. It already was when Sambora still was in the band and is one of the reasons why Sambora left/has no interest in returning. Hell, the average housewife fan treats it as a solo project.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

There. Corrected that for you.

I know most people prefer 80's BJ but it sounded too much like bubblegum pop-metal to my ears, except for maybe a few songs. In the 90's they changed their sound and incorporated some bluesy/rock 'n roll elements in their music and started writing more personal and deeper songs, at least on Keep The Faith and These Days, and that's more what I'm into. But each to their own, of course. I guess that's also the reason why they survived the 80's while most of their peers didn't.

Edited by EvanG
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Jon made a statement that he wishes Richie Sanbora would get his personal life together and come back to Bon Jovi.

Guess it could happen, but who knows?

I saw Bon Jovi a few years ago. I was bored. He's got one tone to his voice. Most of the people around me were on their phones. lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, EvanG said:

I know most people prefer 80's BJ but it sounded too much like bubblegum pop-metal to my ears, except for maybe a few songs. In the 90's they changed their sound and incorporated some bluesy/rock 'n roll elements in their music and started writing more personal and deeper songs, at least on Keep The Faith and These Days, and that's more what I'm into. But each to their own, of course. I guess that's also the reason why they survived the 80's while most of their peers didn't.

Agreed, and I love the 80’s albums. But by the 90’s, they became just a fantastic rock band. Those shows on their 1995 These Days tour are some of their very best. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/6/2020 at 3:43 PM, metallex78 said:

Agreed, and I love the 80’s albums. But by the 90’s, they became just a fantastic rock band. Those shows on their 1995 These Days tour are some of their very best. 

I completely agree. I rarely watch their 80s bootlegs/listen to their music from that era. The 1990s is really when Bon Jovi became a formidable force in both songwriting and showmanship. From 1992-1996, their energy and musicianship was just from another planet.

Edited by IndiannaRose
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...