26 years ago today- the end

i remember this summer vividly- GNR were all over magazines in the supermarket and this how you got your news - also on the back of T-shirts they would sell here in Mexico you could see where GNR had been touring 

i couldn't believe they were still touring as it had been a while since the albums had been launched 

in the back of my mind i thought they would break up as the melancholy of this band being too good to be true set in 

they came and they went 

would be good for them to finally mend fences with the guys that were around from the beginning - gilby, sorum, izzy, adler those should be the only guys that fill in with the big 3 now moving forward then call it a day for good 

nothing will top the legacy of the classic era in fact no other band can top it some came close but classic GNR blows everyone away 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Yeah, this was exactly what Slash considered to be a good move after the UYI tour, pretty sure he said that in an interview and that Axl wasn't into it.

I can’t imagine Duff spending one more day on the road back then. Guy was just unhealthy in every way possible (his own admission). Mothballing a TSI? Tour may have saved his live. No joke.

BTW I do distinctly remember a radio DJ coming on to say something like “Contrary to other reports, GNR states there will be no theater tour in support of The Spaghetti Incident...”. So it was something that was “out there” at the time...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AXL_N_DIZZY said:

I think Zakk was to push Slash- and to try to go for an even “bigger” sound as a response to grunge, Metallica, etc. Tobias meanwhile was probably a buffer/security blanket- as it was seemingly Axl v. Slash/Duff/Matt on most things by then...

My guess is that Axl was tired of Slash being strung out on heroin and other drugs, and bringing in other guitar players that could potentially play lead was Axl's way of saying to Slash "You are replaceable if you can't get your shit together"

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

My guess is that Axl was tired of Slash being strung out on heroin and other drugs, and bringing in other guitar players that could potentially play lead was Axl's way of saying to Slash "You are replaceable if you can't get your shit together"

And as Axl basically admitted to Kurt Loder - Slash was irreplaceable.    

31 minutes ago, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

The mid-90's situation where Axl is forcing new guitar players on the band seems analogous to a guy who is bored of his current gf and wants to date other girls - so he keeps bringing new girls home which sends mixed signals to all parties involved. He said it himself, he was bored of the old style of music from AFD/UYI and wanted to mix it up - which ostensibly included new personnel in the band. He was fixated on Dave Navarro as a replacement for Stradlin since the early 90's. Imagine if Zakk had joined the band, would Slash be sharing lead guitar duties with him like Buckethead and Finck? Seems likely. Which would mean that Slash's role in the band was essentially going to be downgraded.

The problem was - going back to the analogy - the guy felt the grass was greener and broke up with his old gf, dated a bunch of different women, and then eventually realized that the first gf was the right person after all. He didn't know what he wanted with either the music or his own band mates. I forgot if it was Marc Canter or Doug Goldstein who said that Axl's insistence on a third guitarist in the band broke Slash's heart. Canter has often said that the Izzy replacement guitarist issue became one of the major fissures in the Axl/Slash breakup. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

The mid-90's situation where Axl is forcing new guitar players on the band seems analogous to a guy who is bored of his current gf and wants to date other girls - so he keeps bringing new girls home which sends mixed signals to all parties involved. He said it himself, he was bored of the old style of music from AFD/UYI and wanted to mix it up - which ostensibly included new personnel in the band. He was fixated on Dave Navarro as a replacement for Stradlin since the early 90's. Imagine if Zakk had joined the band, would Slash be sharing lead guitar duties with him like Buckethead and Finck? Seems likely. Which would mean that Slash's role in the band was essentially going to be downgraded.

The problem was - going back to the analogy - the guy felt the grass was greener and broke up with his old gf, dated a bunch of different women, and then eventually realized that the first gf was the right person after all. He didn't know what he wanted with either the music or his own band mates. I forgot if it was Marc Canter or Doug Goldstein who said that Axl's insistence on a third guitarist in the band broke Slash's heart. Canter has often said that the Izzy replacement guitarist issue became one of the major fissures in the Axl/Slash breakup. 

very well said makes sense the analogy 

problem is you only realize this type of revelation until after and likely too late to revert back to your ex or in this case bandmates

11 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

very well said makes sense the analogy 

problem is you only realize this type of revelation until after and likely too late to revert back to your ex or in this case bandmates

I was gonna say : Never ever go back to your ex! 😁 Cute analogy though.

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

If Navarro didnt work out for the chilli peppers, i have no idea why axl thought navarro would work in gnr of all bands.

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

"He didn't know what he wanted with either the music or his own band mates"

the above is the reason why axl should have done some sort of solo album away from gnr after the illusion tour then in 95/96 come back and reassess which direction to take guns.

57 minutes ago, Crazyman said:

It's sad to think that they really could've been the American version of the Stones - even when the Stones broke up in the mid-80's (already in their 40's and out of their prime), it only lasted a year or two. 

The fact that we'll be going on 28 years since we've gotten an original GnR song with Axl and Slash is a travesty. Then again the history of GnR is full of wasted opportunities, unfortunately. 

I read this often: "Gn'R could have been as big as The Stones" or some variation of that. I don't believe it. They were far more combustible, not on the same page when it came to musical direction or how big they wanted to become and there is no proof they had more than just one masterpiece in them. There's a reason The Stones became so huge. Not many bands can put out so many truly great albums. The Stones were also more original as a band.

Gn'R had Appetite, Lies, and Illusions and by that time Izzy had already checked out mentally. They couldn't even keep it together long enough to follow the Illusions. Many UYI tunes were written close to when the Appetite material was composed.

I think it's possible they could have done more, especially if Izzy stayed in Gn'R but again, there wasn't a shared musical vision anymore. Axl wanted to incorporate new influences while Slash didn't really want to do that, he never even had a piano player in one of his bands and Izzy's solo material is a good indication of what he likes to play which is straightforward rock n' roll. 

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Crazyman said:

It's sad to think that they really could've been the American version of the Stones - even when the Stones broke up in the mid-80's (already in their 40's and out of their prime), it only lasted a year or two. 

The fact that we'll be going on 28 years since we've gotten an original GnR song with Axl and Slash is a travesty. Then again the history of GnR is full of wasted opportunities, unfortunately. 

It’s better to view it through the perspective that they were a druggie mess in the early days and we are lucky they managed to release any material. 

23 hours ago, AXL_N_DIZZY said:

I can’t imagine Duff spending one more day on the road back then. Guy was just unhealthy in every way possible (his own admission). Mothballing a TSI? Tour may have saved his live. No joke.

BTW I do distinctly remember a radio DJ coming on to say something like “Contrary to other reports, GNR states there will be no theater tour in support of The Spaghetti Incident...”. So it was something that was “out there” at the time...

But the weird thing is that Duff almost immediately went out on the road, after the Illusion tour ended, to support Believe In Me.  I remember reading that Axl thought he was crazy for doing that.

Edited by lame ass security

6 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

But the weird thing is that Duff almost immediately went out on the road, after the Illusion tour ended, to support Believe In Me.  I remember reading that Axl thought he was crazy for doing that.

Duff: "Yeah, well it's a whole different thing — relaxing, kind of a therapy thing. Everything just fell into place. There wasn't any work in trying to get a tour or trying to get a band together or anything. Everything came together perfectly, so the stress level is really low" [Kerrang! July 17, 1993].

• Like 1

On July 18, 2019 at 2:42 PM, AXL_N_DIZZY said:

23 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

16 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Duff: "Yeah, well it's a whole different thing — relaxing, kind of a therapy thing. Everything just fell into place. There wasn't any work in trying to get a tour or trying to get a band together or anything. Everything came together perfectly, so the stress level is really low" [Kerrang! July 17, 1993].

On one hand it is easy to see how nonstop touring wouldve definitely killed drunk Duff sooner then later. But Addiction also likes routine. And those routines can be a safety measure for the user too. The body gets used to the punishment. And a routine gives comfort to they mind too. Being stressed or upset can cause an overdose for a user who can often consume even greater amounts of intoxicants.

But for Duff, maybe it s like

On tour: I get up an drink, but just enough to be elegantly altered because I have interviews to do and then a show.

At home: I get up and drink. Much as I want because Im bored.

???

3 hours ago, soon said:

On one hand it is easy to see how nonstop touring wouldve definitely killed drunk Duff sooner then later. But Addiction also likes routine. And those routines can be a safety measure for the user too. The body gets used to the punishment. And a routine gives comfort to they mind too. Being stressed or upset can cause an overdose for a user who can often consume even greater amounts of intoxicants.

But for Duff, maybe it s like

On tour: I get up an drink, but just enough to be elegantly altered because I have interviews to do and then a show.

At home: I get up and drink. Much as I want because Im bored.

???

I think you pretty much nailed it.

• Like 1

The odd thing about these final 1993 shows is that despite Slash and others saying the band situation had become untenable and that relations were bad, the shows are really amazing.. Even simple things like them being able to tolerate each other well enough to sit close together on sofas doing acoustic songs with pizzas shows that they were doing a lot better than in 1989..

Edited by Nice Boy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, lame ass security said:

That almost brought a tear to my eye but like Arnold on Diff'rent Strokes I sucked that teardrop right back up in my eyeball. 😄

Axl always struck me as someone who legitimately cared about his friends/bandmates but had no idea how his overall behavior pissed them off, and I feel like that gif sums it up.

6 minutes ago, Nice Boy said:

The odd thing about these final 1993 shows is that despite Slash and others saying the band situation had become untenable and that relations were bad, the shows are really amazing.. Even simple things like them being able to tolerate each other well enough to sit close together on sofas doing acoustic songs with pizzas shows that they were doing a lot better than in 1989..

...it was like the last few days of school before summer break, everything is cool because it's almost over.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

Axl always struck me as someone who legitimately cared about his friends/bandmates but had no idea how his overall behavior pissed them off, and I feel like that gif sums it up.

I totally agree that Axl cared but he wasn't oblivious to how he pissed people off.  He knew and I think he somewhat reveled in it.  He said it himself "it's fun to be bad".  But the consequences aren't always fun. So if you're gonna be known as a badass you better be prepared to deal with all the shit that comes with it.

• Like 1