Duff on Izzy Interviews - The Rolling Stone/Blabbermouth 18th July [New]

1 hour ago, shotsfired cro said:

uhmm...didn't Slash say 15 years ago Duff is spineless?

he always said what he thought public wanted to hear, probably does the same with Axl.

Slash, obviously, doesn't agree with this line up, but has no support from Duff and is stranded there like an island.

Duff, on the other hand, doesn't want to endanger his $$$$ even if that means leaving out Iz/Matt/Adler and putting up with Frank.

Only hope is endless questions about Izzy, until they begin to feel fed up.

Agreed - I get the same impression. 

There was a rumor here around the time of the reunion that Duff had a prominent role to play in Izzy not being there - mainly that he's become ruthless over money and the band's finances. Who knows how true that is but given Duff's about-face on Izzy, the yachts on Instagram, and his overtly-pc interviews over the past 3 years, I'd say that may be within the realms of possibility. Slash actually comes off the best in this whole situation - he's the only guy that hasn't taken a shot at Izzy publicly and his interviews are much less cringeworthy. 

"Duff may sound like the De La Hoya, but he's the fuckin' Vargas." - W. Axl Rose

Edited by RONIN

7 hours ago, Drexl said:

Duff "The King of Beers" McKagan - the ultimate villain for the GNR fanbase. He dethroned Axl.

People really need to hate someone.

No one hates Puff here - but he deserves our scorn at the moment because he's acting like a clown. He's turning into the Gene Simmons of the band. Atleast Simmons owns that he's a sell-out unlike Duff who talks about his punk cred every chance he gets. I bet he's still kicking himself for quitting in '97 and giving up all that loot. 

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, RONIN said:

No one hates Puff here - but he deserves our scorn at the moment because he's acting like a clown. He's turned into the Gene Simmons of the band. Atleast Simmons owns that he's a sell-out unlike Duff who talks about his punk cred every chance he gets. Post VR-Duff is all about the loot. I bet he's still kicking himself for quitting in '97 - probably wishes he could have done those 15 years of endless AFD/Chinese Democracy tours with Axl.

I don't no why some of you get court up in this stuff, given its does not effect you or is it personally being directed at you. 

Don't take things personal. If you don't like Duffs opinions, that's all good. 

It seems you guys want band members to speak, but only what some of you want to hear. 

You people cannot control what Duff does or says, just like he cannot control what you post about him. 

The funny thing is, Duff won't be wasting his time on worrying about what a few people post on a fan forum. 

As you can see by his twitter account he is getting on with life. 

Duff would be laughing his arse off at some of you being so concerned about what he is saying. 

Have you not heard of the meaning, of having the last laugh.

Edited by kiwiguns
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, kiwiguns said:

I don't no why some of you get, court up in this stuff, given its does not effect you or is personally being directed at you. 

Don't take things personal. If you don't like Duffs opinions, that's all good. 

It's seems you guys want band members to speak, but only what some of you want to hear. 

You people cannot control what Duff does or says, just like he cannot control what you post about him. 

The funny thing is, Duff won't be wasting his time on worrying about what a few people post on fan forum. 

As you can see by his twitter account he is getting on with life. 

Duff would be laughing his arse off at some of you being so concerned about what he is saying. 

So we can't react to GnR news in a cynical way without it sounding like we're taking it personally? :lol:

I can't speak for anyone else, but to me, the GnR story is a bit like Mystery Science Theater - a source of endless mirth. 

• Like 1

If we ever get a behind the scenes look of how everything went down leading up to the "reunion tour", I hope we get it from 2 people. 

1.) Fortus because he probably got phoned in at the last minute to replace Izzy, that is of the invitation really was extended to him and they did actually wait. Frank actually might be a decent option too as much as I hate his drumming, he'd be able to give a 3rd party view on rehearsals with everyone and how the steven thing played out.

2.) Slash because he's a lot better than duff at interviews and will be able to share more of the music/axl and his relationship details.  

The duff media episodes are just getting old. seems like every interview he does nowadays he digs himself into a deeper hole when all he has to do is just say "the past is the past. we were kids and times were different". 

With the Izzy comments, he really needs to script the answer out ahead of time because this wasn't a great answer...you can tell he knew and didn't have an answer for it. Or better yet, just say no Izzy and steven questions before the interview. 

There's been a lot of rumors about this reunion with Izzy. Duff saying Izzy never showed up, Axl said things could go one way or another with Izzy, rumors saying there was a full Appetite 5 Rehearsal and Izzy would just mostly talk to Duff, and Izzy saying they didn't want to split the loot equally. I'm guessing a lot of people thought "they" meant Axl, it could've been more Duff since with the reunion the rumor was Axl had the GNR name, Slash had the logo, Duff had the finance. I'm not throwing shots at Duff or saying that Axl is this great guy whose done nothing wrong with GNR, I'm just putting my opinion out there. I'm also not complaining that someone in GNR is actually doing a lot of press.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, axlsalinger said:

People are being too negative, this was actually a really good interview. Yeah we all wish the GNR guys would talk more about GNR. But Duff said it twice in this interview, they made a conscious decision not to do any press. It's probably an Axl thing, but they like the mystique. It is what it is.

I thought his comment on It's So Easy in a previous interview was pretty silly, but the answer here made sense. Yeah, Duff is more PC now. He's also older and wiser. I do agree that he should just say it was a punk rock song and some of the lyrics were a little coarse, but honestly the best thing to do is probably just to downplay it and move on. 

It's also quite obvious that they simply do not want to talk in public about what happened with Izzy Stradlin. It totally sucks, I get it, we all love Izzy and we would like to know what went down, but they have all been very cryptic about it (including Izzy) so it's no surprise. If I were to interview Duff I would absolutely ask the question; I just wouldn't expect a detailed response. 

Overall, it's a good interview, nothing groundbreaking, worth a listen.

Izzy wasn't cryptic about it at all. He wasn't specific, but he out right said it was about money. I don't think people are being too negative either, they're just not pleased with Duff trying to spin shit or avoid questions, basically being dishonest when there are so many other, better ways to handle these issues in the press.

when Slash was asked about Izzy in one of his interviews he said "ain't gonna light that fuse" even that is much better than to act like you have no idea why Izzy wasn't a part of it.

Or his excuses about the It's So Easy lyrics... he handled it poorly and a lot of fans here don't appreciate that. He acts like a politician and that fuckin' sucks.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Alejandro GNR said:

I’ve always felt Axl hasnt lied.

Can anyone explain to me Axl’s analogy about De La Hoya and Vargas?

The short of it is Fernando Vargas went hard at De La Hoya in the media, calling him out for a potential fight, and when they finally met in the ring, De La Hoya spanked Vargas in the 11th and TKO'd him.

11 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Izzy wasn't cryptic about it at all. He wasn't specific, but he out right said it was about money. I don't think people are being too negative either, they're just not pleased with Duff trying to spin shit or avoid questions, basically being dishonest when there are so many other, better ways to handle these issues in the press.

when Slash was asked about Izzy in one of his interviews he said "ain't gonna light that fuse" even that is much better than to act like you have no idea why Izzy wasn't a part of it.

Or his excuses about the It's So Easy lyrics... he handled it poorly and a lot of fans here don't appreciate that. He acts like a politician and that fuckin' sucks.

Izzy tweeted a clip of himself singing a song with cryptic lyrics that could be about Axl, and made one comment about "the loot", but he was absolutely cryptic about it. We still have no idea whatsoever, what he wanted or asked for.

Did he want to play rhythm guitar for the whole tour and get an equal share? Or did he want to come and go? Izzy has only done a handful of shows in the last 20 years so I find it hard to believe he'd be up for a 3-year world tour.

Still holding out hope that we get to see a limited "Original 5" tour at some point. But new music most of all.

As for negativity, I skimmed through 2/3 of page 1 and wasn't going to bother listening to the interview based on what i read, but decided to click the link and ended up enjoying it a lot. So I feel like the comments did not fairly describe the interview itself. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, djones1225 said:

rumors saying there was a full Appetite 5 Rehearsal and Izzy would just mostly talk to Duff

11 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

there fits a quote attributed to Slash talking to a fan backstage: “Izzy thought it could be 1987 again. That’s not gonna happen.”

Can you both elaborate on these 2 points? I don't think I've heard about this.

1 hour ago, axlsalinger said:

Izzy tweeted a clip of himself singing a song with cryptic lyrics that could be about Axl, and made one comment about "the loot", but he was absolutely cryptic about it. We still have no idea whatsoever, what he wanted or asked for.

Did he want to play rhythm guitar for the whole tour and get an equal share? Or did he want to come and go? Izzy has only done a handful of shows in the last 20 years so I find it hard to believe he'd be up for a 3-year world tour.

Still holding out hope that we get to see a limited "Original 5" tour at some point. But new music most of all.

As for negativity, I skimmed through 2/3 of page 1 and wasn't going to bother listening to the interview based on what i read, but decided to click the link and ended up enjoying it a lot. So I feel like the comments did not fairly describe the interview itself. 

You call that cryptic, but didn't Izzy say "share the loot equally"? anyway, seems pretty clear to me that they at least did not want him to become a part of the partnership when it came to money.

Also: just because Izzy only did a handful of shows doesn't mean anything really. He could have done it cause Axl, Slash, and Duff are a part of it now. we don't know.

Not holding my breath for an original 5 tour, Axl seems satisfied with Frank, and I believe Fortus was always going to be a part of it, but to just circle around it seems too diplomatic of Duff. They've made Izzy an offer that probably insulted him cause he is a founding member, he might think he has a right to be a full partner and they might have thought the price was too high for what he was providing. I think Duff could have been more honest about it and that fans would have mostly accepted it, that they tried and it didn't work out.

Personally I believe that with such a lucrative tour, if they really wanted to, they could have offered him to be a partner but they chose the money over Izzy. :shrugs:

Edited by Rovim

3 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Can you both elaborate on these 2 points? I don't think I've heard about this.

It's at about 1:20:00 minute mark of this podcast. This guy met Slash with Antony Bozza backstage at a NITL show.

"And [Slash] is like, 'We talked about it, we love Izzy, but, let's just put it this way, Izzy wanted everything to be like it was back in 1987 and that just wasn't gonna happen, man. And so, we put a fair offer on the table [...] but it just didn't work out. But, who knows, maybe he'll come out for some of the shows. We'll see, we'd love that.'"

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

I think Alan Niven said this (but since its Alan Niven take it with a grain of salt) he said the original 5 got together in either Houston or Nashville in 2016 at rehearsal space, and the band ran through the whole Appetite album + Civil War, You Could be Mine, Patience & Dont Cry, and Izzy would mostly stay close to Duff and didn't really get along with Steven Adler, while Melissa, Dizzy & 4tus got along more with Steven, and the next day at rehearsal Izzy never showed up

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

Didn’t someone close to the band during the UYI days say it was Duff who was most upset when Izzy got demoted in early 1991 while touring?

not trying to attack or defend the guy. Just playing devil’s advocate to the posts directly above.

Might be totally off here but I vaguely recall reading that in "watch you bleed" - the gist of the anecdote being that in the midst of leg 1 of the Illusion tour, the trio had a group huddle before a show where Axl and Slash decided to officially demote Izzy. Reportedly, Duff really didn't like the decision and had serious misgivings but was cajoled into agreeing. The catalyst for this being (allegedly) Izzy's demand that Axl should pay the band's curfew violation fees since he was always delaying shows.

• Like 2