[RUMOR] Next album coming early 2020 (GNRCentral as source)

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

If GN'R exist in a nostalgic bubble, whose fault is that? Their setlists are Appetite-centric. Rose dresses like an early 1990s teenager. They market everything with skeletons. Guns N' Roses simply never matured as a group. Rose tried to, with the newgnr ''freaks'' era, but ultimately reverted to heavy nostalgia.

The CD era while not to everybody tastes could have resulted in another couple of albums. Instead, we get to wait 25 years between albums...

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, betterman said:

There was a time, Better, Street of dreams, Chinese Democracy, Prostitute, This I love. :) 

But in terms of popularity, no!

i like all those songs but theyll never be classics or lwgemdary rock anthems you hear at sports stadiums... some songs are popular cuz theyre good

8 minutes ago, moreblack said:

But how do we define "good"?

Like a lot of things in life, it's subjective. Here's a good example. Last month I went to a coffee shop that has been opened for 8 months. On Yelp, they received about 8-9 reviews since opening. Majority of the reviews are good. One person did write a review stating they serve bad coffee. 

I checked the place out and had their version of a nitro cold brew coffee. It was so bad that the barista was kind enough to make a cappuccino for me. That was bad-average. I've had much better at various coffee shops. When I got home, I gave them two stars. I complimented the customer service but mentioned that two cups of coffee weren't good there. 

What you define as good might not be someone else's definition of  good. 

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I agree, but not all songs are popular because they're good. There's a lot of shit songs that are very popular and there's a lot of great songs that aren't. 

i agree with that too, thats why i said some songs... in gnrs case tho i dont really know of any popular songs that are shit. all the singles are great... only "popular" gnr songs im not crazy about are the covers lald/kohd

20 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

If GN'R exist in a nostalgic bubble, whose fault is that? Their setlists are Appetite-centric. Rose dresses like an early 1990s teenager. They market everything with skeletons. Guns N' Roses simply never matured as a group. Rose tried to, with the newgnr ''freaks'' era, but ultimately reverted to heavy nostalgia.

cause axl wearing silver suits in 2010 is way more mature.

Edited by patolea10
forgot the date

23 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I mean like, have you looked at album sales lately, for a band used to the good old days, one whoose passion for music is suspect but whoose passion for money is a given dead cert is it even a worthwhile enterprise? 

You know you're old when you're talking about album sales. 😄

Nobody cares about album sales anymore. It means nothing except maybe it measures how many old fans you have. But it's all about streams these days cause that's how people listen to music. Through streaming services.

46 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

You know you're old when you're talking about album sales. 😄

Nobody cares about album sales anymore. It means nothing.

It means money.  The sort of money these modern day stream jockey artists see in their dreams.  Which is my whole point, there ain’t a lot in it anymore so whats the point?

39 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

It means money.  The sort of money these modern day stream jockey artists see in their dreams.  Which is my whole point, there ain’t a lot in it anymore so whats the point?

Right! That is a problem for sure! The golden age of albums will never come back, so something should be made to make streaming more profitable for the artists. Right now it's not really a wonder why GNR keeps on touring and touring. New music is made to promote the tours. GNR doesn't necessarily need that cause people will always come to see them perform the classics. So I guess the question is more about the image. Do they really want to be known only as a nostalgia act?

27 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

Right! That is a problem for sure! The golden age of albums will never come back, so something should be made to make streaming more profitable for the artists. Right now it's not really a wonder why GNR keeps on touring and touring. New music is made to promote the tours. GNR doesn't necessarily need that cause people will always come to see them perform the classics. So I guess the question is more about the image. Do they really want to be known only as a nostalgia act?

I dunno, I think they occupy a unique position in a way in that, in terms of their musical releases, they can't really be accused of like, getting into that old lazy rut of releasing substandard music ad infinitum, output-wise there's an argument to be made, as crazy as it is, that they retain a little mystique.  I mean Appetite and 2 Illusions right, thats all we've had in terms of output albums-wise.  And then Chi Dem which, shitbag though it is, was a kind of a crazy fuckin' thing, I don't know exactly how to phrase what I'm tryna say here which I guess could be boiled down to they could easily just leave it like that.  A new album is risky for a lot of reasons.  You could forgive a Chi Dem as being a release thats kinda like, y'know, some kind of artistic madness thing, an album that cost millions and took ages and didn't have the rest of the band on it.  But a new release thats crap or substandard, which it almost definitely will be (I mean in terms of not being able to live up with the legacy, its not their fault, its just an impossible thing), would be the end of any mystique surrounding the band.  Y'know, it'd remove all doubt. 

So to sum it up, if there's nothing in it financially, which there sort of isn't, with the advent of streaming and such...and its artistically and legacy-wise very high risk, if you're Axl and Slash sitting down think-tanking over this shit you must look at the situation like 'hang on, what the fuck do we have to gain here?'.  And lets face it, they ain't the 'doin' it for the love of the music' types or we wouldn't be having this discussion.  Releasing a new album at this juncture is almost all downside.  There is more value in their being a nostalgia act than coming out of the traps with a substandard new album which umpteen other reunion acts have done and taking a little more of the polish off of their legacy. 

I don't really much follow the band anymore so perhaps I'm missing some key information here but they don't appear too keen to be making a new album...and I can see why.  I mean look back at all the bands out there who a certain fanbase would LOVE new music from.  Zeppelin maybe...or The Smiths...or fuckin'...I dunno, The Sex Pistols maybe.  Would they really benefit from releasing a new album, when you think about it?  In the fragmented age of streaming, is an album even that thing anymore, as you've already said?  So with that in mind, where's the upside?  No money, no prestige, no particular artistic kudos. 

4 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I dunno, I think they occupy a unique position in a way in that, in terms of their musical releases, they can't really be accused of like, getting into that old lazy rut of releasing substandard music ad infinitum, output-wise there's an argument to be made, as crazy as it is, that they retain a little mystique.  I mean Appetite and 2 Illusions right, thats all we've had in terms of output albums-wise.  And then Chi Dem which, shitbag though it is, was a kind of a crazy fuckin' thing, I don't know exactly how to phrase what I'm tryna say here which I guess could be boiled down to they could easily just leave it like that.  A new album is risky for a lot of reasons.  You could forgive a Chi Dem as being a release thats kinda like, y'know, some kind of artistic madness thing, an album that cost millions and took ages and didn't have the rest of the band on it.  But a new release thats crap or substandard, which it almost definitely will be (I mean in terms of not being able to live up with the legacy, its not their fault, its just an impossible thing), would be the end of any mystique surrounding the band.  Y'know, it'd remove all doubt. 

So to sum it up, if there's nothing in it financially, which there sort of isn't, with the advent of streaming and such...and its artistically and legacy-wise very high risk, if you're Axl and Slash sitting down think-tanking over this shit you must look at the situation like 'hang on, what the fuck do we have to gain here?'.  And lets face it, they ain't the 'doin' it for the love of the music' types or we wouldn't be having this discussion.  Releasing a new album at this juncture is almost all downside.  There is more value in their being a nostalgia act than coming out of the traps with a substandard new album which umpteen other reunion acts have done and taking a little more of the polish off of their legacy. 

I don't really much follow the band anymore so perhaps I'm missing some key information here but they don't appear too keen to be making a new album...and I can see why.  I mean look back at all the bands out there who a certain fanbase would LOVE new music from.  Zeppelin maybe...or The Smiths...or fuckin'...I dunno, The Sex Pistols maybe.  Would they really benefit from releasing a new album, when you think about it?  In the fragmented age of streaming, is an album even that thing anymore, as you've already said?  So with that in mind, where's the upside?  No money, no prestige, no particular artistic kudos. 

I get what you're saying and I agree in many ways. Though I do think that there's more pressure for GNR to release something compared to say The Rolling Stones for example. Many see GNR as a nostalgia act, but at the same time people also ask about a new album on almost every single interview that they make. Metallica is criticizing them for not making new music. The fans are getting frustrated. People are expecting new music from them even if the casual fans are not. They've said themselves that they want to release new music. So legacy-wise it is also kinda risky to not release anything ever again. I mean how long can this continue? How long can they keep telling that they want to release new music and not release anything. At some point it'll become a joke and not only in the eyes of hardcore fans, but the whole world will view GNR as the band that's incapable of releasing new music. Kinda like it already was a laughing stock when CD was in the making. But right now people see GNR in a positive light. What is actually a bigger risk for the legacy of GNR... releasing an album that some people will like and some people will hate? Or not releasing anything ever again and becoming a joke in that sense? I don't know. I think that not releasing anything is actually a bigger risk.

Especially since we're talking about GNR. They are some of the greatest musicians on this planet. You just know that the album will be good, even if it can't live up to impossible standards. At the end of the day CD didn't hurt the bands image too much. People still come to see the band and want to hear the hits. GNR used to be a joke mostly because of Slash's absence and Axl's incapability of releasing music. CD itself didn't really hurt the bands legacy much. It's a curiosity. Some like it and some don't. Same would probably happen with a new album. Some would like it and some wouldn't. But personally I don't think it would hurt the bands legacy as much as not releasing anything ever again.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, Lies They Tell said:

New music is made to promote the tours.

This. It's the way the industry works nowadays, there's no money in new music, but there is big money in touring. There's only so long an artist can tour the same show, unless they're happy as nostalgic losers playing clubs and Vegas residencies. There are even artists that bang out albums for free just so they can keep touring.

Guns need a new album. The Slash/Duff nostalgia has been wearing off for a while now, hence why they can't sell out stadiums like they used to 3 years ago.

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Maybe they do want to release another album while knowing it won't be as good as the classics cause they believe it will still not detract from the catalog. Maybe they think it'll still be a quality release and that will be enough of a reason to do it. It's just you don't actually believe they can pull it off cause they're too old/not talented enough or don't have the integrity or will to do it.

But bands still release albums all the time. Old bands. Less talented old bands that release good albums and I believe Axl actually cares too much to release shit albums and everytime he shares his thoughts about releasing new music it's the same answer: he wants to do it.

I agree that the stakes are higher, now that Slash n' Duff are back, I just feel like they do have the balls to go for it and the talent to at least make an album that will musically reflect where the band is at right now. Just like Chinese did for a lot of hardcore fans.

There is a lot of material to work with according to all 3 of them and sometimes it's easy to forget how helpful it is to have that kind of musical chemistry. Even without Izzy there is still musical ability here that could allow them to get it right imo.

Edited by Rovim

Maybe they do want to release another album while knowing it won't be as good as the classics cause they believe it will still not detract from the catalog. Maybe they think it'll still be a quality release and that will be enough of a reason to do it.

Yeah, it could be either of those things I suppose.

It's just you don't actually believe they can pull it off cause they're too old/not talented enough or don't have the integrity or will to do it.

Yeah, thats pretty close.

I agree that the stakes are higher, now that Slash n' Duff are back, I just feel like they do have the balls to go for it and the talent to at least make an album that will musically reflect where the band is at right now. Just like Chinese did for a lot of hardcore fans. There is a lot of material to work with according to all 3 of them and sometimes it's easy to forget how helpful it is to have that kind of musical chemistry. Even without Izzy there is still musical ability here that could allow them to get it right.

There is more than enough talent there to put together a good album, depending on what they choose to do with their shit.  And who knows what goes on behind the scenes, they might be jamming together, putting together all kinds of good shit with a real intention to put out a quality piece of work, I mean all this opinion stuff of mine, its just that, opinion, its not really worth shit, its just one far removed idiots ideas based on his interpretation of available information but honestly, I don't think they care.  We're none of us living inside Axl or Slashes head, all we can do is guesstimate based on whats out there/their behaviour and I don't see nothing in GnRs behaviour to make me think that they really care about making a new album.  I'm a 36 year old guy and I been aware of this band since, what, 92, 93...one album of original material has come out in that time.  That says it all.  And this reunion, when did this happen, was it 2015 or 16?  We're deep into 2019 now.  If these guys REALLY wanted to make new music, passionate, energized, well up for it, doing shit in the studio, getting the ball rolling don't you think they've had enough time for at least some kinda sign of something?  But instead, what do you have, you have a big money boxset of Appetite and....what else?  I know that Shadow of Your Love song had a little video out, there's been other shit I'm sure but I don't really follow em like that, point being the shit thats been put out is kinda maximising profit out of their back catalogue/legacy...these are not really good indicators that releasing new shit is top of the list of priority.

And hey, I don't hold it against em either nor am I particularly bothered about whether they release new shit.  It just does not look to be in the offing.  But hey, it'd be nice for them to prove me wrong. 

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

And this reunion, when did this happen, was it 2015 or 16?  We're deep into 2019 now.  If these guys REALLY wanted to make new music, passionate, energized, well up for it, doing shit in the studio, getting the ball rolling don't you think they've had enough time for at least some kinda sign of something?  But instead, what do you have, you have a big money boxset of Appetite and....what else?  I know that Shadow of Your Love song had a little video out, there's been other shit I'm sure but I don't really follow em like that, point being the shit thats been put out is kinda maximising profit out of their back catalogue/legacy...these are not really good indicators that releasing new shit is top of the list of priority.

I see where you're coming from and I agree it doesn't look promising. I'll just add that yeah, the reunion became a reality in 2016 and we're deep into 2019. I think they'll tour some more in 2020. Thing is... taking financial advantage of the situation, the demand of the fans to go see a show with Axl n' Slash performing again on stage after 20 years plus Duff only really means they chose to first test the waters and see if they can do it and when it worked they didn't say no to half a billion.

So the top priority right now is making money and enjoying the ride (for all we know) but once they're done with the tour going into the studio and releasing new shit could become a top priority. It's just something I think is much harder for this band to do at this point when they can just do it later after they've made all the money they can possibly make before the crowds will start to dwindle.

No one knows what they're thinking, as you said, but Axl has said very recently they first need to finish the tour in order to do something else (going into the studio is what I think he meant) Slash said they're gonna do it, and Duff has also alluded to it.

Edited by Rovim

28 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I see where you're coming from and I agree it doesn't look promising. I'll just add that yeah, the reunion became a reality in 2016 and we're deep into 2019. I think they'll tour some more in 2020. Thing is... taking financial advantage of the situation, the demand of the fans to go see a show with Axl n' Slash performing again on stage after 20 years plus Duff only really means they chose to first test the waters and see if they can do it and when it worked they didn't say no to half a billion.

So the top priority right now is making money and enjoying the ride (for all we know) but once they're done with the tour going into the studio and releasing new shit could become a top priority. It's just something I think is much harder for this band to do at this point when they can just do it later after they've made all the money they can possibly make before the crowds will start to dwindle.

No one knows what they're thinking, as you said, but Axl has said very recently they first need to finish the tour in order to do something else (going into the studio is what I think he meant) Slash said they're gonna do it, and Duff has also alluded to it.

The money aspect in and of itself tells you something.  These guys right, fuckin' hated each other, like PROPER didn't get on, remember them days?  Then suddenly Slash is divorcing the bird with the big tits and they're all back on the firm, mates again, for half a billion, come on man.  And I don't begrudge em that, fair play to em, make your money, from an audiences perspective this is what yous wanted right, the band back again, playing music, who gives a fuck for their motive, thats their look out, as long as they're fuckin' doin' it.  And if after a few gigs of watching em playing their greatest hits or whatever, if you ain't into it no more then don't go, they don't owe no one an album. 

If there was money in a new fuckin' album, guaranteed fuckin' spondoola for the lot of em you'd see an album faster than a bishop leaving a brothel raid.  Its the same with The Stone Roses, them lot hated each other, 'I HAVE NO INTEREST IN DESICRATING THE GRAVE OF THE STONE ROSES' or whatever that thing was that Squire said, remember that?  Then suddenly Brownies getting divorced and they're all mates again, lots of promises of new album but fuck all came of it expect a song or two.  Now I'm pretty sure they're defunct again.  Its predictable as fuck.  Not that I care, I don't think they should release new music...plus I got to see The Stone Roses in Heaton Park. 

Edited by Len Cnut

I think Axl, Slash, and Duff knows  that they have unfinished business. I don't think they want the Spaghetti Incident  to be known as the last album that the three of them made. I'm a firm believer we will see at least one album by them for at least closure to GNR.  It would be great to see more than one but for closure it'll definitely be one more album. 

4 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

If they was money in a new fuckin' album, guaranteed fuckin' spondoola for the lot of em you'd see an album faster than a bishop leaving a brothel raid.  Its the same with The Stone Roses, them lot hated each other, 'I HAVE NO INTEREST IN DESICRATING THE GRAVE OF THE STONE ROSES' or whatever that thing was that Squire said, remember that?  Then suddenly Brownies getting divorced and they're all mates again, lots of promises of new album but fuck all came of it expect a song or two.  Now I'm pretty sure they're defunct again.  Its predictable as fuck.

I do remember that, yeah. But this is where I completely disagree. There was money in it 20 years ago and Axl still tinkered away and delayed it again and again. And even with Slash n' Duff, if there was money in a new album I honestly don't believe it would have changed Axl's position as I see it which is if he doesn't think it's good, he's not going to release the shit. If true, that's a form of artistic integrity.

Axl is not The Stone Roses bro. Axl could have reunited with Slash when Robin left, when Bucket left, when Robin left again, etc and they would've still made a killing. Could have done so years ago just for the money. I'm saying maybe it's not just for the money. Isn't it possible Axl needed the time to forgive Slash? and it wasn't forgiving him to tour it was touring cause he forgave him. It's only predictable in the sense that most people chill a little and can compromise if you give them enough time, especially 2 decades of it.

But I think I get it. Even the word "reunion" in a musical context is kinda dirty and usually I'd agree with you but in Gn'R's case remember it was gradual. First Duff helped Axl out when Tommy was unavailable, they became friends again and then Bumble left and Axl needed a replacement. It happened more organically and Duff may have played the part of the mediator, successfully getting Axl to see it in a different perspective.

• Like 2