Mass Shooting at Walmart in El Paso

BlueJean Baby

The idea that we would ever have any significant change in gun control laws died after Sandy Hook. 20 six- and seven year-olds killed and America collectively shrugged it's shoulders. But we can take a few days and pretend to care about this, I guess. 

I don't know why the same people who bitch and moan about political correctness just don't come out and say, "Look, we love guns. We want them to be accessible. The second amendment is very important to us. And yes, your kids might have to die for it. That's the trade-off." Thoughts and prayers are for cowards.  Or snowflakes, if you prefer that. 

• Like 2

I actually agree that very strict regulations on guns would cut down on a lot of these psycho mass shootings (the gang violence shootings are another animal completely).

But, and I have to say this, even beyond the guns, something has gone really fucking wrong with this society (not just the mass shootings, look at the drug abuse, the suicides). And I'm not just talking since 2016 people, This has gone on for decades.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AlterL said:

I wish someone would shoot the "thoughts and prayers" squad, every time I read that is like saying, we don't give a fuck, but good luck with whatever you're dealing with right now. Can anyone here explain to me why 18 people needed to die in this shooting? why your kids can't go to school without being afraid of some thug coming in and blasting the whole classroom?

Maybe is because I've already lost people to gun violence or maybe is because I still have a brain, but some things just piss me off. Arguments like "he would have found another way to take those lives" yeah, so because there are other ways of killing we should just let the killers get the easiest way possible, convenience first people, safety is for pussies and you can always make more children if you lose the ones you have now. Saying things like there's violence in other countries that have bans is also so fucking stupid, like yeah some dumb motherfucker in England might kill another with a bat or poison or something, but I can assure you no bat, katana, axe, or sword will let you kill as many people and as fast as this shooters kill with each strike they take.

Also I don't give a fuck about his reasons, racism, stupidity, loneliness, nothing will ever make this any better and of course he's a republican, and so what, you americans as a whole have allowed this to carry on for years now with no real response and until you do (and by that I mean take out the motherfuckers stoping changes in policy) nothing will change. It's so easy to be pro-gun when it's not your family the one that's bleeding on the floor, all because some lunatic decided to buy a gun from a stupid son of a bitch that didn't care to even look at the guy that he was selling it to. I will say that having a president that constantly attacks a certain demographic of your country might not be helping. But hey, so long as your guns are safe, who cares about childrens, family and friends.

You opened your statement regarding a tragic shooting by saying that someone should shoot the "thoughts and prayers" squad.  I should've stopped reading there.  I take offense to the "you americans" comment, that somehow I'm personally responsible for not ridding the country of every psychopathic cockroach.  And you're no different than the prayer squad, you just take the opposite stance by railing against the evils of Americans.  Which in the end does no good.

Edited by lame ass security

8 hours ago, jdfdemocracy1979 said:

I think the United States main issue is entitled brats every where. People are not held accountable really. I still fell like every murderer, child molester, gang member, cartel associate should be executed without hesitation America has become a week country of lazy fucks everywhere. There are great amazing people. To blame Trump for everything that goes on is a copout. All of it has been going on for a long long time now it is nothing new people are just shining light on things that have been ongoing before he took office and decide to dump it on him. I'm not saying he is the brightest and the best but he is no way responsible for all the shit being thrown around. The last GREAT president the USA had for me was Reagan.

The NRA are entitle brats and they are never held accountable

Since you like Reagan so much. Keep in mind he supported gun control. Because he was a victim of gun violence

11 hours ago, Padme said:

The NRA are entitle brats and they are never held accountable

Since you like Reagan so much. Keep in mind he supported gun control. Because he was a victim of gun violence

Yeh I was never against gun control! Reagan was against disarming law abiding citizens, he was all for law abiding citizens owning guns for self defense. Reagan also stated PEOPLE have to be held accountable for their actions. As far as the NRA I k ow really nothing about the maybe they are entitled brats maybe not. But normal inteligent citizens are not a threat. Yes screen people before they buy guns because it is the PEOPLE WHO KILL PEOPLE NOT THE GUN! Simple enough?

Edited by jdfdemocracy1979

Isn't Reagan part of the reason our mental health treatment is so poor? That was before my time but I remember reading something about that. 

Awful President really especially in relation to the admiration he generally receives.

Edited by -W.A.R-

37 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

Isn't Reagan part of the reason our mental health treatment is so poor? That was before my time but I remember reading something about that. 

Awful President really especially in relation to the admiration he generally receives.

When he was California Governor he didn't want Goverment money to be spent on mental illness. As President, I don't know. But since he was against big government. I guess it's possible. Still after Reagan came other Presidents. Nothing or very little was done regarding gun control and mental health. There is also the issue of what it should be  Federal Law and States Law.

14 hours ago, Swampfox said:

So do you also blame Democratic voters in Chicago for the high rate of gun violence there?  

Chicago was a lot more violent during the days of Al Capone

14 hours ago, Swampfox said:

And you of course want to somehow make it Trump's fault which is wrong.

He is part of the problem. So to some degree it is his fault

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

It's too simple. It is inane. No one is arguing that it isn't people that do the killing. That it is dogs that do it. Or wandering, sentient machine guns. But fact is that guns make it easier for people to kill people. Many of the guns that are being used in gun violence has been specifically designed for the purpose of hurting other people. If we remove guns there will be less gun violence. We know this because it is self-evident, but also from comparative studies on other countries, and from looking at gun violence statistics from countries that have made guns less accessible.

Then there is this argument floating about that if we remove the guns people will just kill each other by other methods, like stones and sticks and hand grenades. But that doesn't make sense. The amount of violence isn't fixed so that when you reduce gun violence, knife violence will increase to magically fill the quota. If the right-wing nutjob from yesterday didn't have his AK-47, much less people would have been killed or wounded. You can argue that maybe he could have made enough bombs to cause the same amount of damage, but most nutjobs aren't able to do that. They will fail. And people will not have their lives ripped apart.

There is also the argument that the problem would be solved if improved background checks were enforced to prevent nutjobs having guns. It would help, sure, but it wouldn't solve the issue. How do you figure if someone shouldn't own a gun if they don't have a police record? And how do you figure that someone's mental problems will increase over the years causing them to commit mass murders five years after the gun purchase? 

Then people try to argue that the problem won't be solved until we fix the issue of mental problems. Well, no country has fixed that issue yet USA is the only country with daily mass murders with guns. Don't get me wrong, we should definitely do more to help the mentally ill (and not only by trying to prevent them from getting their hands on weapons), and USA is horrible in that regards, but now we are talking about things that take a lot of time to fix. And it is unlikely that we will ever get to a point where we can screen the entire population to identify people who are on the verge of losing their minds to the point where they will commit mass murder. It is simply unrealistic.

But there is a prevalent mental illness in USA that affects the entire society. And symptoms of this collective illness are that people should have guns to defend themselves if the country is invaded (by whom, Guatamalans? Canadians?), that people should have guns to defend themselves against the government (heh, what?), that people should have guns to defend themselves against home intruders (seen too much movies, now?). And the name of this mental illness is the culture of fear. A delusion fed by a hysteric media who keep on exaggerating the probabilities of something bad happening making people think it makes sense to have a gun just in case (while most acts of gun violence is one family member turning the gun on another, something the media underreports; the result being that acquiring that gun for home defense is the first step towards domestic horror), and by evil organizations like NRA who spread the nonsense that more guns is the solution, by a president who does all he can to continue to foster the idea that it is Americas against the rest and that foreigners are amassing at the border just wanting to come in and rape America, by a failing educational system that aren't able to correct all these misconceptions, and by a militarized police and an army that make people think that guns are normal and okay.

But fixing all this takes a lot of time. So basically USA is screwed. Unless they actually go for the low-hanging fruits of quick-fixing the issue by reducing the amount of guns. Not necessarily a perfect fix, but something we see everywhere else helps. Start with amnesties for handing in illegal guns (maybe even pay for each gun handed in), t get guns off the streets. Stop selling anything but weapons designed for hunting, and no guns with large magazines, no guns that can be turned into automatic action. Stop selling to people who haven't got a hunting permit. Limit the amount of guns one is allowed to own. Do check up on gun owners to verify they store the guns safely (gun cabinets with locks, bullets stored separately).

There will be a lot of huffing and puffing from people who feel, justly, that they are innocent victims of the actions of other people, but sorry, that is the consequences of all the gun violence. When USA as a society has demonstrated they can handle guns safely, then the regulations may be loosened. 

But of course this won't happen. Because most Americans don't really care enough about the issue until they are victims themselves. Because they are lost in this fog of the culture of fear. They care just so far as to say thoughts and prayers and then it is forgotten. 

What a fucking hopeless country.

Well, this country was started as an armed rebellion, and the men who started that rebellion literally told the people to rise up and kill their own government if the government ever got out of hand, and then wrote some of the most liberal weapons laws ever into the constitution. So that's the start. But now, the real reason a lot of people won't give up their guns in this country is because they hate and don't trust the establishment that runs this country. This is not a united country and many people feel their own government is against them. Personally, I don't blame them on that. I honestly think this country is going to eat itself and Balkanize sometime in the next century. 

33 minutes ago, Padme said:

Chicago was a lot more violent during the days of Al Capone

He is part of the problem. So to some degree it is his fault

You act like mass shootings are something new.  There were dozens under Obama.  Just a few that come to mind are the Colorado movie theatre mass shooting, the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, Sandy Hook school shooting and Virginia tech mass shooting.  These all happened under Obama's watch.  Were any of those Obama's fault?  Was Obama part of the problem?  Obama had 8 years to fix the problem and nothing changed but you want to put blame on Trump?  

16 minutes ago, Swampfox said:

You act like mass shootings are something new.  There were dozens under Obama.  Just a few that come to mind are the Colorado movie theatre mass shooting, the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, Sandy Hook school shooting and Virginia tech mass shooting.  These all happened under Obama's watch.  Were any of those Obama's fault?  Was Obama part of the problem?  Obama had 8 years to fix the problem and nothing changed but you want to put blame on Trump?  

Obama made multiple attempts to enact common sense gun laws and all were blocked by the Republican Congress. 

• Like 1