Slash and Gilby

Gilby had sued GnR in the end of 1995 for using his name and likeness on the pinball machine. That probably had annoyed Slash. I don't remember Slash ever mentioning it or saying anything about a fallout, but I think Gilby had in an interview (I'll try to find it).

In this 2005 interview with the (now inactive) Greek GnR fan page, Gilby had blamed Axl and Slash equally for listing him as an "additional musician" in Live Era and for not mentioning him at all in the Greatest Hits album:

When Axl and Slash put the live album together and mentioned me only as an “additional musician”, and then they didn’t mention me at all in the Greatest Hits album... that was something that really hurt. I didn’t like that at all. It wasn’t fair. Just for the fans to know, I played almost on all Live Era. I am on almost every song on that album. It’s not fair to put Steven Adler as a member of the band, and put me and Matt as “additional musicians” and take our pictures out from the album. That was a thing Axl and Slash did. To me, it made it very cheap. Now anyone can be in the band. 

http://www.a-4-d.com/t3659-2005-03-06-gunsnroses-gr-interview-with-gilby-translated-from-greek

(He also talks about Axl joining him on stage in 2000 and the conversation they had)

Edited by Blackstar

2 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I dont beleive they had a falling out. Back in 96 slash was still on friendly terms but didnt talk to him because it  may upset the others. Full interview here where slash mentions it.

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?pid=54735

I'm sure I remember reading or hearing slash say what Gilby did was personal.

Gilby did some great solo albums, but was never a huge fan of him playing live with Gnr, maybe because you couldn't hear him enough, which obviously wasn't his fault

10 minutes ago, Brownstone drum said:

I'm sure I remember reading or hearing slash say what Gilby did was personal.

Gilby did some great solo albums, but was never a huge fan of him playing live with Gnr, maybe because you couldn't hear him enough, which obviously wasn't his fault

I remember Slash saying that about Gilby and Axl, but not about Gilby and himself.

But if he did say it, it probably had to do with Gilby's lawsuit. I could see Slash taking it personally, as he made the pinball machine.

Edited by Blackstar

53 minutes ago, jonah said:

They’ve played together a lot over the years including Gilby openings shows for slash back in like 2014. so I can’t seeing their being anything major between them

Yeah. They must be ok now, as far as I can remember it was the late 90s/ early 00s.

Probably was the pinball thing

3 minutes ago, soon said:

Was there some litigation about the Hollywood rose demos album “the roots of guns n roses” that gilby and Tracii did?

Yes: 

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/guns-n-roses-frontman-ordered-to-pay-label-s-legal-fees-in-dispute-over-early-recordings/

Gilby was asked about it in the 2005 interview I posted above:

What happened with the Hollywood Rose CD? Did Axl try to block its release?

Gilby: I don’t know anything about what went on with Axl. Basically, people got to understand this: I have a studio and I do many jobs; mixing, recording – a lot of recordings - and production. That was a favor for a friend, Brian, who is the owner of Cleopatra. He told me, “Gilby, I have these master tapes, I’m releasing them. I think it’d be great if you mixed them. I know that you don’t play, but please do the mix, because you’re the only one who can do it.” So he brought them and then he thought that it would be a good idea if Tracii played additional guitar on some parts. So the only thing I did was mixing; nothing more. Plus, I knew the music, so I could do a better job. As far as Axl goes, I don’t know anything, because it happened much later.

• Thanks 1