PiL live on Check it Out

Len Cnut

Cool! Ive definitely seen parts. Cant remember which. The walk out I know for sure. I love how Jonny's so thirsty - its always one over the mark - ending a rant with the seemingly redundant "quasi gimmicks." Its just perfect though.

The nerve of starting a beef with Lydon while being in a band called "angelic upstarts" :lol:

John often seems odd in these stroppy interviews but they are usually because something has happened beforehand.  With this one there was a massive argument over allowing the band to be interviewed, they just wanted Johnny Rotten whereas he didn't want PiL to be the Johnny Rotten show so there was an argument in getting that sorted.  Then the Angelic Upstarts thing happened...plus they are sort of accusing him of being a sellout and insinuating that PiL, because they didn't make 3 chord rock music, were basically just an elaborate joke of a band designed to take the piss and rip people off.  They purposely got the Angelic Upstarts on their to slag Johnny off and thereby illicit the sort of response that the Sex Pistols gave on that infamous BBC show.  And apparently John weren't having it. 

Personally I loved Wobble there more than even John.  Wobble was about to knock the interviewer out :lol:

In almost every interview he is this edgy twat... it's entertaining to watch sometimes and good click bait, but when you're the interviewer it gets tiring, no matter what you think of the guy's music or place in history. I can't stand people who get so offended when there's really not much going on. I guess I would make for a lousy interviewer, if someone would give me attitude for no reason I'd give it right back, and I suppose the trick is not to get down to their level. 

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

In almost every interview he is this edgy twat... it's entertaining to watch sometimes and good click bait, but when you're the interviewer it gets tiring, no matter what you think of the guy's music or place in history. I can't stand people who get so offended when there's really not much going on. I guess I would make for a lousy interviewer, if someone would give me attitude for no reason I'd give it right back, and I suppose the trick is not to get down to their level. 

Johns a funny one.  He can be quite aggressive in interviews but if you look at that interview, they're pretty much having a pop at him from the off.  I mean 'have you sold out?' is basically their line of questioning.  And this is the case with a lot of Johns interviews, he's sort of deliberately wound up by people expecting a certain response from him, even back then.  Also, he's someone who has been burned by his interactions with the media, he's extremely unique in his particular position as being, if not the most vilified than certainly in the top 3 (as far as the mainstream media goes) of all time, a lot of it extremely unfairly and at a time where he wasn't really protected as a person or afforded the support structure that most people in his position did.  I mean can you imagine being such an obvious and visible figure as he was, at the time of God Save the Queen...and having to get the London Underground home, he was pretty much attacked on sight.  And most of this can basically be put down to an unbalanced image of who/what he was by the media.  He isn't really someone who, by usual standards, should ever have been put in the position he was, he was a sort of skinny runty sort of kid put at the forefront of this thing that he wasn't really equipped to handle, bless him.  Not just him but all of The Pistols, it really was the first and the last time that proper off the streets lads like that were put in the position they were.  There is a reason he acts like he does and surrounds himself with a bunch of Arsenal hooligans (who many have claimed are the reason he acts as he does).  He always appeared to me as a naturally very shy person, even in that video, right before John lets off a volley at the interviewer you can see Wobble almost pushing him to do it (go on tell him then, tell him, open your mouth and tell him!)  The media storm around The Sex Pistols, having to handle that, from a very young age, with there being really no prescedent in place as to how to handle such a thing, must colour a persons perception of the media/interviewers and have you very much on guard around them.  And when you're talking about some lad off a council estate in Finsbury Park you're not good get all sweetness and light from him if he's pushed.