Hard School FULL LEAK Discussion **NO LINKS**7 Day Suspension For Asking For Links**

After digesting this over the past 14 hours, I’d definitely say I really enjoy this song. In comparison to the rockers on Chinese, is it superior to the title track, Better and IRS? Naa, but a really enjoyable tune that probably would’ve been better suited on the album than Scraped or Riad.

I love the intro. For me, along with the chorus, best part of the song!!

I reckon hearing a fully mastered version of it would sound monstrous. That riff is beautiful and I don’t think it comes across as full on as it would on a proper mixed and mastered version.

I just wish all of this came out way before the release of Chinese.

When you get a leak like this of something that was recorded so long ago it's great.

But there's always a small after taste, like a small pang of regret n dismay for what could have been but wasn't to be.

6 hours ago, vloors said:

I didnt think bucket had joined at this stage. Still the solos arent the best in my opinion.

Of course buckethead was in the band during November 2000... infact the song is dated 11/08/00 and not 1999

and during the song (and clearly in the last solo with his unique atonal tapping) there are some of buckethead habits and tecniques 

Edited by WAR™
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, gnfnr2k said:

All cautions made
Every chance was given
No effort spared
To save what we had
All in good faith
I would not hesitate
To extend myself
And lend you my hand

But when we do it, had to do it your way
Had to be a fool, had to throw it all away
Too hard school and you thought you were here to stay
If that were true it wouldn't matter anyway

As tempers fade
And lies forgiven
No cause embraced
Could break what we had
In its place
A storm is lived in 
I would've thought you could be more of a man

But when we do it, had to do it your way
Had to be a fool, had to throw it all away
Too hard school and you thought you were here to stay
If that were true it wouldn't matter anyway

Agree totally other than "but when we do it, had to do it you way"

i reckon it's "well you had to play it cool, had to do it your way"

Edited by megaguns1982

I like it alot, although I hope that if there is ever new music created and released by the current band that they go back to their roots a bit more. I prefer SOYL to this, even though I dig it, and I wonder if Axl is out of this stage. I hope he's gone back to thinking more G'n'R and less like Nine Inch Axls...  :-)

• Like 3

The second solo really kills the vibe imho. I never like that 'angle' - its almost like a break down section, but not quite. Its very common in prog metal, fusion and jam band - where lots of options and variations are needed to keep things fresh in long songs. But here its like the first option taken and it just doesnt fit imho. 

The third solo has more then just a hint of Eno and more specifically Heroes by Bowie main lead licks. And I like the triumphant, cathartic, galloping drums during second solo too. And Pitman really showed up for the non-rocker parts of this song.

Edited by soon

This tune makes me more comfortable with the idea of Slash working on some unreleased Chinese era tunes but my dream scenario is still Axl giving Slash a chance to come up with his own solos for existing material but if Axl still prefers a Robin or Bucket solo, it stays. Slash can also add his own riffs and leads and little fills like Bumble did with the title track or his tapping on Shackler's.

That way the best ideas win and it originally was a tapestry of ideas anyway but I don't think Axl will do that. It's probably going to be this line up and I can see how he is capable of replacing Brain's work as well like he did before with Josh

Anyway, after repeated listens I like it even more though it sounds like a work in progress, incomplete and those are placeholder solos probably like others have mentioned.

edit: I love Bucket's shredtap at the end and it's always good to hear Robin, he plays some cool stuff here imo

Edited by Rovim

3 minutes ago, TeeJay410 said:

This is my periodic note that I will die on Riad hill and the “salvation” part is as catchy as anything for ever recorded I will not stand for this slander thank you. 

Riad is great. Mean riff, freaky lyrics, Axl is on Appetite mode vocally, the intro was stolen by Pitman and Bucket's outro solo adds so much. Bumble came up with a much better solo in the middle of the song compared to what was there in the leak.

An important part of the album for me.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Ralphelmo said:

I don't get the excitement, this song is really 'generic' as some would say. Who was included in that recording? First solo is probably the worst I've heard in GNR history.

The first solo I bet Paul Tobias and right after Robin .

The line up should be Ax Tommy Robin Paul Bucket Brain Pitman Reed

Edited by Finck2006
  • Like 1