Hard School FULL LEAK Discussion **NO LINKS**7 Day Suspension For Asking For Links**

What does the "too hard school" part mean though? It reminds me of this quote by Axl:  ''Slash told me, 'I don't want to work that hard,'. So my interpretation is that from Axl's point of view being in GNR was too much work for Slash and that's what "too hard school" means. But I could be way off since english isn't my first language. Obviously it could fit Adler and Izzy too.

Anyway, would be interesting to hear other interpretations, especially from people whose native language is english.

1 hour ago, Its Tino said:

Clean, simple to-the-point rocker. About damn time!

After all these years, we finally hear Jackie Chan/Checkmate! Unreal! What year was it when we first heard the name of this track?

2006 when the 16 second clip leaked is the first we heard of Checkmate AFAIK. The first time it was referred to as Jackie Chan was by Axl during the forum chats in December 2008. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Twinaleblood said:

A few pages back an user posted some very interesting research about the meaning of the "hard school" idiom. Check it out, I think it's on page 18 or so.

Can't find that but I just assumed it's a play on old school/new school whereby hard school means a stubborn muther fucker.

It's funny, the very first bookmark at the top of my daily list of shit to check for the past 20 odd years has been MyGnR or another Guns site, specifically in case of days like this. But whereas years ago I would have lost my shit, 3.5 years of touring the same old stuff has really dampened by enthusiasm. 

I like the tune. Had Axl got a record out back then this would have been a sweet little b-side on a proper single. 

1 minute ago, weaponsnflowers said:

Why was it called Jackie Chan btw? Was this suppose to be on some JC movie soundtrack?

Don’t know where the name came from, but during the chats someone asked Axl about Checkmate and he said it’s actually a song called Jackie Chan. No context given. 

2 minutes ago, Jordan Rose said:

Can't find that but I just assumed it's a play on old school/new school whereby hard school means a stubborn muther fucker.

It's funny, the very first bookmark at the top of my daily list of shit to check for the past 20 odd years has been MyGnR or another Guns site, specifically in case of days like this. But whereas years ago I would have lost my shit, 3.5 years of touring the same old stuff has really dampened by enthusiasm. 

I like the tune. Had Axl got a record out back then this would have been a sweet little b-side on a proper single. 

Ever since this track was leaked, I’ve been wanting to hear your thoughts on this song vocally. You usually always articulate your comments on Axls voice exactly how I would. 

15 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

What does the "too hard school" part mean though? It reminds me of this quote by Axl:  ''Slash told me, 'I don't want to work that hard,'. So my interpretation is that from Axl's point of view being in GNR was too much work for Slash and that's what "too hard school" means. But I could be way off since english isn't my first language. Obviously it could fit Adler and Izzy too.

Anyway, would be interesting to hear other interpretations, especially from people whose native language is english.

3 minutes ago, Jordan Rose said:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pskihq92 said:

D# minor. Just used the keyboard on my on my phone while it was playing too

Idk about drop D or not though

It's Eb tunning, just like almost every other GNR song. No drop D.

57 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Honestly I think the only Bucket is the lot little ascending break in between the outro chorus'

Intro and Bridge leads and final outro are probably Robin imo

The outro is both Robin and Bucket. There's two leads, kinda like the ending of TWAT.

1 minute ago, 31illusions said:

Why does every song have to be about Slash? Like the break-up was Slash's fault? Axl was the egotistical maniac not Slash or Duff. I suppose Izzy never had issues with the red head either? Every other original member left of their own volition, except Steven.

Yep, which is why I think the theory that it could be about Steven holds water. 

51 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

2006 when the 16 second clip leaked is the first we heard of Checkmate AFAIK. The first time it was referred to as Jackie Chan was by Axl during the forum chats in December 2008. 

And here we are in 2019 and we finally hear the full demo. Crazy to think what I was doing then, to where I am at now. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 31illusions said:

Why does every song have to be about Slash? Like the break-up was Slash's fault? Axl was the egotistical maniac not Slash or Duff. I suppose Izzy never had issues with the red head either? Every other original member left of their own volition, except Steven.

No, not every song has to be about Slash. In my opinion, none of the songs on CD are about Slash (or at least only about him). But I think this one, Hard School, is.

You use an "objective" (or your subjective) point of view to interpret whether the song could be about Slash, but, don't forget, it's Axl's point of view here.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Underhardy said:

Ever since this track was leaked, I’ve been wanting to hear your thoughts on this song vocally. You usually always articulate your comments on Axls voice exactly how I would. 

I've only had a chance to listen a few times and I think they'll grow on me more. I don't mind the clean vocals in the right context but, at the same time, I never ever ever listen to studio This I Love when literally any 2010 version with chainsaw rasp is infinitely superior. Same for Madagascar: why do all the multi-layering of the clean voice in the studio for the high parts when it's so much more powerful live when he shreds it? On Hard School they sound weirdly processed in parts e.g when he sings "every chance was givEEEN "lies forgivEEEn"" it's got that weird auto-tune sounding gimmick that sounds artificial, prissy and weak. Same as large parts of Prostitute: don't get me wrong, I love the clean verses that are really vulnerable and beautiful but the high parts sound like a fucking robot singing and it's a total disconnect for me.. And when the guy can sing like the fucking This I Love remix or Axl/DC or 2010 and do that shit live every night, why fuck about in the studio making it sound artificial and overproduced? Give us that one-take Stuck Inside shit from Angel Down. Now I said it's oveeeerrrrrrrOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. 

Edited by Jordan Rose
  • Like 1

Man, every time something leaks it’s the weekend and I’ve got stuff going on......but at least the original video on page one is still posted! 

Whoever usually gets the videos taken down must be on vacation this weekend!

Edited by Stoymatic
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Stoymatic said:

Man, every time something leaks it’s the weekend and I’ve got stuff going on......but at least the original video on page one is still posted! 

Whoever er usually gets the videos taken down must be on vacation this weekend!

I wonder if that means anything, it not having been pulled by anyone. Have there been other full song leaks been up so long on yt?

1 minute ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Personally I think its abour Izzy but this could also make sense

The fact that many interpret it in different ways gives me hope it will be played/released at some point.