Hard School FULL LEAK Discussion **NO LINKS**7 Day Suspension For Asking For Links**

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would have thought this went without saying, but PM'ing an admin to ask for links will also get you a 7 day suspension.... 

Out of curiosity, I searched into a body of newspapers for examples of use of "hard-school" in context other than the literal one (i.e. about school) or the obvious figurative one as in "learning in t

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

I just think unreleased demos from 20yrs ago are a bit different to brand new recordings, which TWAT and Better were in 2006.

I think the general consensus is that a new album will contain old, unreleased songs from 2006 and even before and everything since then.

Not really sure what makes you think that older songs won't feature on a new album. 

it's not as if chinese democracy didn't contain old songs, lol

2 hours ago, action said:

that's a bit of revisionist theory you got going there. when TWAT and better leaked, there was no confirmation that they would end up on the album, at least I didn't see it. When they leaked, they could have well been left out of the album altogether.

what evidence is there to indicate the new leaks won't be on the new album? 

not to be captain obvious, but if you want to be surprised by the new album, and be sure you've not heard any of it before, then the most logical thing to do is.... not to listen to leaks.

Well, we sort of did. Axl did that interview with Rolling Stone a month before the leaks, and he said that his favorite songs from CD were TWAT, Better, and The Blues. I believe that’s also the first time we heard of Better. 

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

Has anyone done a breakdown and who did what guitar parts?  

Pretty obvious it's Bucket tearing up the outro, and the intro seems kinda "Robin -esque". 

21 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

IMO:

Intro: Robin

00:28 - power chords - Paul Tobias?

02:07 - Paul Tobias (with Robin in the right channel)

02:18 - 2nd solo - Robin

02:30 - 3rd solo - Robin and Bucket's faint overdub acting kinda like a moody delay layer

03:18 - Chorus - Bucket

03:30 - Chorus 2 - Bucket continues and Robin plays high bends higher in the mix

03:41 - Crescendo - Bucket tapping with Robin trem

03:53 - Ending - Bucket continues and Robin plays the higher notes

That's my take, anyways. Not sure on the Paul Tobias thing.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Bluefish18 said:

12 hours ago, I was convinced I’d never hear this song in its entirety. Today, I blared it all the way to work- life is good!

synced it with itunes yesterday.. listened all way down to work today.. repet mode..cool for an inyection of power for a monday

• Like 1

I remember when Better first leaked. It was just the first verse or something like that. It took a day or two for the full song to leak, but people were already building their own expectations about the rest of the song. So when they heard that intro, and then the chorus, the bridge and breakdown, I can't tell you how many were saying it was an early skectchy demo, fake (someone else playing) or fan-made (mashed-up with another song) because it didnt sound cohesive or whatever. 

The same thing is happening with High School. People built their own expectations about what the full song would sound like, and when it came out and was a bit unexpected in some ways (the verse and chorus were repetitive, and the breakdown/solo section feels really different and moody), the reaction again was to call it disjointed, not cohesive, sketchy and even fake.

My point is: I believe the way it was "released" - first back in 2006 with only a snippet, than a month ago with the chorus - may affect a lot of those reaction. Not on everybody, of course. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1
4 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I remember when Better first leaked. It was just the first verse or something like that. It took a day or two for the full song to leak, but people were already building their own expectations about the rest of the song. So when they heard that intro, and then the chorus, the bridge and breakdown, I can't tell you how many were saying it was an early skectchy demo, fake (someone else playing) or fan-made (mashed-up with another song) because it didnt sound cohesive or whatever. 

The same thing is happening with High School. People built their own expectations about what the full song would sound like, and when it came out and was a bit unexpected in some ways (the verse and chorus were repetitive, and the breakdown/solo section feels really different and moody), the reaction again was to call it disjointed, not cohesive, sketchy and even fake.

My point is: I believe the way it was "released" - first back in 2006 with only a snippet, than a month ago with the chorus - may affect a lot of those reaction. Not on everybody, of course. 

It's just a dirty, simple, rock song in the vein of Chinese Democracy & IRS.  Not surprised that it was written and recorded during that era of creativity. I definitely dig it!

• Like 1

Has anyone heard about a hoarder named Robert B.? Apparently he has strong ties to Levisnuts. So strong infact they work together at a law office in Virginia, found very near coordinates found in the metadata for the original photos of the CDs from the stash, used to sell them. Not the locker buyer but probably the 2nd pair of hands on them.

10 hours ago, Gold top 78 said:

I think Hard school is a bit of a let down after hearing the 22 second clip a few weeks back. It’s still a decent song and I guess at the end of the day it’s not a finished song but for me it would be a good song for Slash to rework and add his tone and lead to the song then it would sound more like a GNR song. 

I feel the same way on all points.

5 hours ago, Gackt said:

If the vault is ever opened and the tracks are officially released, I'd much rather hear them in their original state as a demo collection than having any parts re-recorded with the current line-up to preserve the integrity.  Big if though.

In the event a new Guns album is actually happening and they want to use old songs like Oh My God, they should take the route Megadeth did with Th1rt3en and re-record them from scratch so it isn't a frankenstein'd mess of decades of recordings. 

Were the songs on Thirteen older ones? What did they do there?

39 minutes ago, DeperilsofrockNRollDekednz said:

Missed some of the pithy wisdom offered here. Does anyone recall Axl’s message board 2008 interview where he mentioned Robin Finck’s valuable contribution to Jackie Chan, which supposedly is part of of CD2 and also known as Hardschool? 

He didnt said that

20 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Verse and chorus are great, the rest is a bit forgettable. The intro does not do the rest of the song justice, and bridge/solo section is very strange.

Couldn't have said it better. The intro and bridge should be replaced.