Hard School FULL LEAK Discussion **NO LINKS**7 Day Suspension For Asking For Links**

18 hours ago, Mangler said:

Merck said it was't even in the top 15 or something. I don't think it's a big gun.

Merck was trying to sell a phantom album that was several million dollars over-budget and had demos of many of its songs leaked and in the hands of people who were trying to extort money from the band

He was probably lying to protect the product

There's an alternate reality where all the hoarders leaked their demos before 2008 and the album got scrapped - Irving Azoff selling the album to Best Buy and recouping the label's money was a small miracle 

Edited by TheSeeker
spelling
  • Like 1

It's a solid song. I don't know if "better," but definitely a breath of fresh air from some of the songs on Chinese - which was too long and ballad heavy. Definitely seems like it was constructed around the same era as the original IRS leak. Just a pretty straightforward rock song down a simpler road I think the record should have gone. 

Once you take over a decade on an album and you release a quick and pretty elementary song, it doesn't really give a good look to the question of "what is taking this album so long?"

Sometimes simplicity works.

5 minutes ago, axlfans said:

what's the consensus hardschool is an unfinished song? it sounds pretty good to me 

It's definitely a pretty polished demo at the very least. I've never written songs at a professional level, so don't know how many stages these things go through. I'd assume anything in Axl's case with vocals laid down is pretty close to a finished product. 

4 hours ago, Russel Nash said:

The thing with Better was different. I remember that almost everyone was possitive about it. At least everyone i know was hyped.

I was pretty active in message boards back then. I know it got a lot of people hyped because it was the first track with that classic Axl voice, and the song is good indeed (even though now it seems that its not cool to like this track). Still, I remember clearly how there were theories about the song being edited by a fan in order to trick the fanbase for some reason. Then they performed it live at the Hammerstein.

Hard School does sound like it's still missing some producing. Again, the break in the middle is good as it is, but the guitar levels indicate that it probably should have some lyrics in that part too. And I trully believe Axl would replace a lot of those guitars by Bumblefoot anyways if that song was indeed still being considered for a release. 

20 minutes ago, Mangler said:

I've played the track for a few casual fans and all of them love it. I agree it needs some work, but it's a strong track as it is.

I wouldn't embarrass myself in playing these songs for my friends or anyone else. I once shared the Goin' Down demo, they didn't like it.  GN'R isn't cool to average people except as a nostalgic act.

19 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Did your friends graduate from music snobbery university with an advanced degree?

"What a pathetic display of the rock and/or roll. Now if you'll excuse me, I must get back to enjoying Mozart's Leck mich im Arsch."

• Haha 3

I like it, like many CD songs it never takes you where you think it would.  I think  people looking for a song with catchy poppy hook from the CD recording sessions need to move on, “Better” was the closest and best thing Axl probably captured in that regard. 

8 hours ago, Gackt said:

Black Swan, Millennium of the Blind & New World Order were obscure Megadeth tracks originally recorded years prior to Th1rt3en.  Sudden Death was a song written for Guitar Hero that was also re-worked for the album.

I didn't know that, thanks. Had those songs been released in the past before the album?

10 hours ago, sofine11 said:

I just realized that it's been over 13 years since the first clip of this track leaked. And I didn't think I could feel even more old. Oof.

Hahahahaha. I feel your pain.

Then again, I'm 38 years old which was pretty average at the last GnR concert I went to (Nijmegen, 2018).

• Like 1

I give zero fuck about the nonsayers, this song is fucking glorious, and I will pay for it the instant it gets released officially. Damn, I remember when I first listened to the checkmate/jacie chan clip yeaaaaaars ago, I'd listen to it on repeat and I was dreaming about hearing the whole thing.

This song is pretty much what I expected, except the first 20 seconds of the intro. Wasn't expecting that. It doesn't quite prepare for the amazing stuff that's unfolding afterwards. I guess it's from Robin or Paul Tobias. Either way, that's the only weak part, imo.

The rest is fantastic. The lyrics, the instrumental, the production, Axl's voice. Fucking great. I don't understand how this song didn't make it onto the album. How were Scraped & Riad better choices? Hell, even If The World...

It took more than ten years to get this dammit. And to think some hoarders had this for all this time & probably made huge bucks over this. This is completely fucked.

It's just completely retarded. I have no idea how much guys from the Guns Mangement are restricted, what they can or can't do, I'd just like to understand how/why this wasn't released within the past 10 years? I mean, couldn't they just release it separately from Chinese Democracy, as a stand-alone song, to get some promotion/hype going & getting paid? Is this because of a contract? What's fucking going on?

Don't they have the rights over this anymore?

I could understand that this song might be reworked and make it onto the upcoming album, I could understand that since Guns reunited, it might be considered as a possible upcoming release, but what the fuck happened between 2008 and 2016 with this song & the rest?

I can guarantee that if this song had been released at any time on itunes or anywhere else where you could buy the actual song, it would have sold. They would've gotten some money over this. 

So why exactly weren't they able to do this? I would have bought it the instant it went online.

Can you imagine than Axl is currently getting 0 dollar out of this and hasn't since its creation? Same for the rest of the guys who worked hard on this. This is beyond my comprehension.

I sure hope it will make it onto Guns next release. It has to. 

I can't help but wonder if this leak happens now because a new album is on the way, and that the hoarders pretty much expect this song to feature on the album, hence losing what the song was "worth" to them, how much could they get from it.

Anyway, I'm torn between how much happy I am to finally hear this, untouched, hearing Bucket parts (the outro is splendid), and how Axl is getting, once again, fucked royally.

How much bands have that kind of quality material locked up in a "vault" for 10+ years? I think almost none. That's a singularity from Guns N' Roses, the story of this band is completely crazy.  

Slash & Duff could definitely create a better intro for this song, the way they did on Better, live. I'm skeptical over Slash's abilities to make something better than what Buckethead did here for the outro, but whatever, just bring this song on the album. It deserves it. It's worthy. It's amazing.

Thank you Axl.

10 minutes ago, D.. said:

I give zero fuck about the nonsayers, this song is fucking glorious, and I will pay for it the instant it gets released officially. Damn, I remember when I first listened to the checkmate/jacie chan clip yeaaaaaars ago, I'd listen to it on repeat and I was dreaming about hearing the whole thing.

This song is pretty much what I expected, except the first 20 seconds of the intro. Wasn't expecting that. It doesn't quite prepare for the amazing stuff that's unfolding afterwards. I guess it's from Robin or Paul Tobias. Either way, that's the only weak part, imo.

The rest is fantastic. The lyrics, the instrumental, the production, Axl's voice. Fucking great. I don't understand how this song didn't make it onto the album. How were Scraped & Riad better choices? Hell, even If The World...

It took more than ten years to get this dammit. And to think some hoarders had this for all this time & probably made huge bucks over this. This is completely fucked.

It's just completely retarded. I have no idea how much guys from the Guns Mangement are restricted, what they can or can't do, I'd just like to understand how/why this wasn't released within the past 10 years? I mean, couldn't they just release it separately from Chinese Democracy, as a stand-alone song, to get some promotion/hype going & getting paid? Is this because of a contract? What's fucking going on?

Don't they have the rights over this anymore?

I could understand that this song might be reworked and make it onto the upcoming album, I could understand that since Guns reunited, it might be considered as a possible upcoming release, but what the fuck happened between 2008 and 2016 with this song & the rest?

I can guarantee that if this song had been released at any time on itunes or anywhere else where you could buy the actual song, it would have sold. They would've gotten some money over this. 

So why exactly weren't they able to do this? I would have bought it the instant it went online.

Can you imagine than Axl is currently getting 0 dollar out of this and hasn't since its creation? Same for the rest of the guys who worked hard on this. This is beyond my comprehension.

I sure hope it will make it onto Guns next release. It has to. 

I can't help but wonder if this leak happens now because a new album is on the way, and that the hoarders pretty much expect this song to feature on the album, hence losing what the song was "worth" to them, how much could they get from it.

Anyway, I'm torn between how much happy I am to finally hear this, untouched, hearing Bucket parts (the outro is splendid), and how Axl is getting, once again, fucked royally.

How much bands have that kind of quality material locked up in a "vault" for 10+ years? I think almost none. That's a singularity from Guns N' Roses, the story of this band is completely crazy.  

Slash & Duff could definitely create a better intro for this song, the way they did on Better, live. I'm skeptical over Slash's abilities to make something better than what Buckethead did here for the outro, but whatever, just bring this song on the album. It deserves it. It's worthy. It's amazing.

Thank you Axl.

GNR gets a pre negotiated advance for releasing a record. 

Maybe those numbers were way off as the contract was from another era. If this was 2010-12, record sales had fallen off even more so and labels were still figuring out how to center their business around streaming. UMG prob didn’t want to pay that number as they felt it wouldn’t recoup or maybe they didn’t even want to waste a release at the end of the contract when a Slash/Duff involved album was on the horizon

6 hours ago, Lethalis said:

Hahahahaha. I feel your pain.

Then again, I'm 38 years old which was pretty average at the last GnR concert I went to (Nijmegen, 2018).

I was 18 when I joined MyGNR and I turn 34 this year. 😦🤟🏻

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, D.. said:

Thank you Axl.

Uhm, I don't think Slash will have a problem doing a better outro than Bucketfoot(we even sure who's in between the 2 playing here?) on this one. It could be a melodic solo or a fast pentatonic noodling. I'm pretty sure Slash can make it sound better. ;)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, GoForJMark said:

Uhm, I don't think Slash will have a problem doing a better outro than Bucketfoot(we even sure who's in between the 2 playing here?) on this one. It could be a melodic solo or a fast pentatonic noodling. I'm pretty sure Slash can make it sound better. ;)

It's clearly Buckethead, it's his sound. Sure Bumblefoot could do almost the same, but his sound is totally different than Bucket, if you're used to both styles.

As for "Slash can make it sound better"... Technically, he can't do this. I heard what he did on TWAT and other Chinese songs live, and he butchers them all, because it's too far away from his style. 

Slash shines when he's doing his style. To me, his two best works are "Coma" and "Serial Killer", he absolutely killed it writing those. If he can write stuff for the next album on par with those, sign me up directly.

But I'm very doubtful concerning the Chinese material, considering what we heard from him so far. He can reinterpret Hard School and rewrite the outro entirely, with his own sound, and it might sound cool, I can't say for sure. But it just doesn't fit him at all. I do think he and Duff can come up with a far better intro though.