Hard School FULL LEAK Discussion **NO LINKS**7 Day Suspension For Asking For Links**

2 hours ago, Alejandro GNR said:

ABSOLUTELYYYYYY

It kinda sounds like Dave Mustaine hahaha

Damn, what Axl’s voice makes me feel just cant be put into words

Wow  I can hear it now you say it yeah, just that "more than a man" line though

Any chance it's about a former manager? 

Can't stop listening to it. A crime that music this good ends up dumped in a storage bin for 20 years.

On 8/29/2019 at 12:31 AM, jamillos said:

So here we go. Somebody make a poll or something: 

In its place...

A storm is lived in 
A storm we live in 
A storm is lifting 
A stormy lifting 
A storm is lifted 

Any more? 

A storm is lifting, for sure.

Edited by Flayer
  • Like 1

I would have been ok with NU-GNR had this song been on CD along with other songs like it. I hope that Slash and Duff work on this song so that we get an official version of it.  It's really good. Like others have said, I find to be listening to this song a lot. 

I FINALLY heard this song. I love it. But I’m easy. The intro is weak, UNTIL it picks up, then it’s just a speed drum contest which sounds awesome. The song is a journey for sure. I was thinking video game, rock band, guitar hero, movie...but yet crazy Axl doing something cool. The intro is obviously understood once the song takes off.

On 8/29/2019 at 1:31 AM, jamillos said:

So here we go. Somebody make a poll or something: 

In its place...

A storm is lived in 
A storm we live in 
A storm is lifting 
A stormy lifting 
A storm is lifted 

Any more? 

Hear it as a storm we lived in. It would make sense within the context of the song. All past tense and someone who was close 

• Like 1

With time for these to really sit with me to where I'm not expecting the later added parts, I'm 100% convinced that CD, Catcher, Hardschool, Prostitute (v3), all as is, and The Blues with some better mixing would have been radio hits anytime between 1999-2002 and if Axl had been able to take the studio voice we've heard from these and Live Era tracks for promotional tours, GNR would have been on top of the rock world again.

Fucking nerds not letting Axl put these out in that time frame smh. 

Edited by Stro

8 minutes ago, Stro said:

With time for these to really sit with me to where I'm not expecting the later added parts, I'm 100% convinced that CD, Catcher, Hardschool, Prostitute (v3), all as is, and The Blues with some better mixing would have been radio hits anytime between 1999-2002 and if Axl had been able to take the studio voice we've heard from these and Live Era tracks for promotional tours, GNR would have been on top of the rock world again.

Fucking nerds not letting Axl put these out in that time frame smh. 

I can see Catcher and The Blues on the radio, and Prostitute on a big soundtrack for example, but I cannot for the life of me see CD (the song) as a radio hit. But they obviously had enough material for a strong album that could've made some waves at the time, at the very least, with big videos, intense touring and such. However, 2002 was such a mess on the touring/media front that I really don't know what could've had happened tbh. Axl really seemed keen on shooting himself on the foot over and over again in that time period.

I would't really put most of the blame on other people either. I mean, who are we to blame for the 11 years without any new material since CD got out? Did Bob Ezrin drop in again to tell Axl his other songs suck as well?

2 hours ago, gt72 said:

Love the song.To me it’s the best song I’ve heard from them in over 20 years .Would've been my favorite track on CD if it made the cut .Sounds like a true Guns song ,sure it needs a little touching up but not much 

I think HS's verses and chorus are easily the most classic-GNR-sounding bits we've heard from nuGNR.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, El Nono Pololo said:

I think HS's verses and chorus are easily the most classic-GNR-sounding bits we've heard from nuGNR.

Couldn't agree more. 

Before I played it for a friend, I said "the best way I can describe it is that it's Axl Rose doing Axl Rose shit" 

11 minutes ago, El Nono Pololo said:

I can see Catcher and The Blues on the radio, and Prostitute on a big soundtrack for example, but I cannot for the life of me see CD (the song) as a radio hit. But they obviously had enough material for a strong album that could've made some waves at the time, at the very least, with big videos, intense touring and such. However, 2002 was such a mess on the touring/media front that I really don't know what could've had happened tbh. Axl really seemed keen on shooting himself on the foot over and over again in that time period.

I would't really put most of the blame on other people either. I mean, who are we to blame for the 11 years without any new material since CD got out? Did Bob Ezrin drop in again to tell Axl his other songs suck as well?

1999-2002, it would have been a hit. It fit in with the post grunge bands that were blowing up in 2000-2001. 

I also think the Going Down demo could have been a radio hit on alt/college rock stations in the same time period, and one on mainstream rock if it was a little meatier and had Axl on it.

10 minutes ago, Stro said:

1999-2002, it would have been a hit. It fit in with the post grunge bands that were blowing up in 2000-2001. 

I also think the Going Down demo could have been a radio hit on alt/college rock stations in the same time period, and one on mainstream rock if it was a little meatier and had Axl on it.

But most post-grunge hits still had proper choruses though. I don't know, I guess I just don't see it.

Then again, I wouldn't have guessed I was going to like "Going Down" as much as I do now. I'm really, really digging this early version of it. It's probably the most normal song I've heard from the whole CD project, in a good way. Like it was written quickly, with focus, and it just works. It doesn't feel like 10 different people pasted several ideas together to see what would stick. As others have said, it would've help fill Izzy's void IMO.

Edited by El Nono Pololo

7 hours ago, El Nono Pololo said:

Bits are classic sounding as you say, but The Blues and I.R.S verses live with raspy vocals are just as classic sounding imo. Classic sounding.

6 hours ago, Rovim said:

Bits are classic sounding as you say, but The Blues and I.R.S verses live with raspy vocals are just as classic sounding imo. Classic sounding.

Most classic sounding are the verses on Better. Without the weirdness of the intro & bridge, you know - a bit of straight-forwardness- Better had a chance to appeal to a larger audience. 

14 minutes ago, Gaanzer said:

Most classic sounding are the verses on Better. Without the weirdness of the intro & bridge, you know - a bit of straight-forwardness- Better had a chance to appeal to a larger audience. 

Better verses consists of a mix of classic sounding vocals and his cleaner vocals for the high notes. I agree it's upfront and classic sounding but it's not all of it and what makes it what it is is how he switches between the raspy classic sounding vocals and the clean ones. (which is brilliant really, a great blend)

So what are the odds of them dusting this off during the shows next month? It didn't even occur to me as a remote possibility, but some fans seem to think it could happen.... What's the general consensus? Would be fucking awesome to see Axl/Slash playing Hard School live next month!!

33 minutes ago, Towelie said:

So what are the odds of them dusting this off during the shows next month? It didn't even occur to me as a remote possibility, but some fans seem to think it could happen.... What's the general consensus? Would be fucking awesome to see Axl/Slash playing Hard School live next month!!

Unless the song is already intended for a release with a reworked version already with Slash and Duff, I don't see them playing it live. Catcher leaked in 2006, but they didnt play it before 2009, after the official release.

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

I have to say that it's interesting that this song got leaked after 18 years. Could it be that they let the leak occur on purpose to get a reaction? Maybe this is the song they are planning on releasing as reworked by Slash and Duff. Like I said before, this is the most old school sounding GNR from CD era. I do think I.R.S. does sound slightly as old school GNR as well.  Just a thought to it. 

Edited by Draguns

3 hours ago, Rovim said:

Better verses consists of a mix of classic sounding vocals and his cleaner vocals for the high notes. I agree it's upfront and classic sounding but it's not all of it and what makes it what it is is how he switches between the raspy classic sounding vocals and the clean ones. (which is brilliant really, a great blend)

I agree with you to a large extent. Better was one of the songs that my non - Gn'r- freak friends liked best (studio). In a live setting, most of my pals preferred IRS & The Blues when they played it at the '06 &' 10 gigs in Belgium. Must say Axl's vocals were top level too. 👌 I hope we will hear some new songs that have him wailing like yesteryear. 💪

I don't think Slash would have enhanced a lot of CD, but I have to say I think both he and Duff could really do something cool with Hard School. Duff could add some cool backing vocals and I can really hear Slash coming up with some really cool guitar parts during the bridge. Add all that, rework the structure a bit (maybe add another vocal section somewhere) and it would be a monster comeback song

• Like 1

Im sorry guys but i really don't understand the hype for this song?? 

I really liked the clip we all had for years and had high hopes for the rest of the song. 

But to me its really weak and kind of cringy/embarrassing "Hard School"?. Wtf are we like 15 or something... Its really basic and easily forgotten 😔 

To me this proves that Axl needs Slash and Duff and Izzy more than ever if we are gonna see anything remotely worthy of the gnr name. 

Wheres the riffs??? 

Edited by Mfegz