Hard School FULL LEAK Discussion **NO LINKS**7 Day Suspension For Asking For Links**

24 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

This is the biggest takeaway. Its a good skeleton of a song

100%

Definitely some unfinished/not final parts on this (the intro glaringly). But he sat on a potential gem, that even in this state smokes a few songs that made the final record.

• Like 2

I think that beyond the vocals, it's really not a sophisticated song, I can see why it was left off of CD.

It's certainly not dynamic, in that there is a contrast between soft parts and hard parts. The riff to it is very linear, etc...

It's great that a decade later, we got to hear this thing finally, but it's a fairly average song. I don't know that anybody expected it to be so vanilla, since they thought it was Jackie Chan, The General, some other epic.

1 minute ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I think that this isn’t too crazy vocally where Axl could do this song live, to be honest. I would love to hear them add this to the set!

We all know better than that. 

Then again if they can play Slither I suppose anything is possible. 

22 minutes ago, Gnrfan2001 said:

(Verse 1)

All cautions made

Every chance was given

No effort spared

To save what we had

All in good faith

I would not hesitate

To extend myself

And lend you a hand

(Chorus)

But you had to play it cool, had to do it your way

Had to be a fool, had to throw it all away

Too hard school

And you thought you were here to stay

If that were true, it wouldn't matter anyway

(Verse 2)

As tempers fade

And lies forgiven

No God's embrace

Could break what we had

And in it's place

A storm had lifted

I would've thought you could've been more of a man

(Chorus)

(Solo)

(Bridge)

(Chorus)

(Outro)

Too hard school

And you thought you were here to stay

If that were true, it wouldn't matter anyway

I made a few changes but I think this is pretty close?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Axl S said:

100%

Definitely some unfinished/not final parts on this (the intro glaringly). But he sat on a potential gem, that even in this state smokes a few songs that made the final record.

I think it tells you he was serious about releasing multiple records and saving songs for future releases or that they just decided to release whatever originally leaked

This song obviously needs a good mix but it’s in there somewhere.  

Edited by guitarpatch

Sounds good! Happy it finally leaked in full... but, with that being said, it does sound “incomplete” in some ways, doesn’t it? I can see why Axl kept it in the vault.

slash should punch this one up tho. Has the potential to be a great lead single with a little “filling in.”

Edited by rocknroll41

Just now, Gordon Comstock said:

This is way better than any of the rockers that actually made CD, aside from maybe Better.

I agree.

Although I wouldn't say its hit song, as is, it's a pretty solid album track. IMO it's easily better than Scraped, Riad, If the World, IRS, and Shacklers. 

It needs Slash's touch to improve it imo. Even with that, I dont hear a hit song, but a really solid album track.

• Like 1

Just now, Iron MikeyJ said:

I agree.

Although I wouldn't say its hit song, as is, it's a pretty solid album track. IMO it's easily better than Scraped, Riad, If the World, IRS, and Shacklers. 

It needs Slash's touch to improve it imo. Even with that, I dont hear a hit song, but a really solid album track.

I don't think it needs anything other than a proper mix. But if this is the kind of stuff that's sitting in the vault, I don't know how any GNR fan would be opposed to Slash and Duff adding their parts to 'CD leftovers'.

• Like 2

Wooooo!!!! Wow!! So amazing to hear this song and piece of 2000 GNR!! I think it's so unreal to think about the history and where Axl was in his life when this song was recorded.

Thanks to whomever released this! 😊😁

I echo the thoughts of it being incomplete, but saying that, it's a great track and Axl does an epic job!! Would have potential to be an absolutely amazing song with slash and duff!

Here's hoping for Atlas soon!

Edited by Sonicjam

15 minutes ago, Axl S said:

100%

The instrumental portion between the solos and final chorus really sounds like a bridge that hasn't had lyrics written yet.

11 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I made a few changes but I think this is pretty close?

That's what I've got, too

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I don't think it needs anything other than a proper mix. But if this is the kind of stuff that's sitting in the vault, I don't know how any GNR fan would be opposed to Slash and Duff adding their parts to 'CD leftovers'.

I agree.

If you put Slash and Duff on this song, it sounds like an Illusion track for sure. I hear the potential. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

GN’R are renowned for how iconic the openings and climaxes of their songs are. I don’t hear a proper intro or a really interesting climax, to this one.

Nor is there a good proper breakdown, which might be the strongest suit for Guns. Guns had amazing bridge sections.

Basically, as people refer to it as a skeleton, what I hear is a riff and a melody over the riff. That’s the skeleton.

There isn’t very much beyond that. There isn’t any timing changes or chord changes - it’s a steady, straight ahead song. Probably what it was meant to be.

But...as far as the other rockers on CD go, you can find far more dynamics in songs like Better, Rhiad. 

• Like 1

I totally get why it was left off the album, it sounds really simple compared to the average CD track. If it did take place of Riad as a hard and fast rocker, then it would have had the kitchen sink thrown at it eventually, you can even hear it starting to happen already in the outro.

Edited by Azifwekare

Intro and outro are perfect, the rest is very good too. I do feel weird that after all those years listening to that less than a minute of Checkmate I can finally listen to the whole thing

1 minute ago, Azifwekare said:

I totally get why it was left off the album, it sounds really simple compared to the average CD track. If it did take place of Riad as a hard and fast rocker, then it would have had the kitchen sink thrown at it eventually, you can even hear it starting to happen already in the outro.

As far as we know is a demo, not the finished product.