Hard School FULL LEAK Discussion **NO LINKS**7 Day Suspension For Asking For Links**

4 minutes ago, Michael Van Gerwen said:

Yeah Axl confirmed Jackie Chan as a title. But what if that song is a separate song? we all think Jackie Chan is Hard school when in reality Jackie Chan could be a 96 sessions song and we haven't figured it out for ourselves.

It could be a possibility, but I doubt it. If you look at how Hard School is structured, it has a similar structure to classic era GNR. CD songs sound much different than this. 

1 minute ago, rocknroll41 said:

Axl said in 2008 that Jackie Chan was the real name of Checkmate, which is what we used to call the Hardschool snippet that leaked back in 2006, before we knew what it really was.

So Jackie Chan and Hardschool are indeed the same song.

Duff told Howard Stern in 1996 (before Slash quit) that the band was “doing a song for a new Jackie Chan movie.” Was he in fact talking about the song Jackie Chan/ Hardschool? Hard to say.

For what it’s worth, tho, Fortus said in 2014 that one of the chidem2 songs was built from a riff that slash recorded for the band in the mid 90s.

Agree

16 minutes ago, Michael Van Gerwen said:

Yeah Axl confirmed Jackie Chan as a title. But what if that song is a separate song? we all think Jackie Chan is Hard school when in reality Jackie Chan could be a 96 sessions song and we haven't figured it out for ourselves.

That is the thing ultimately, Axl's Jackie Chan as the reference to the "Checkmate" clip and question could even be just an inside joke as to why they call it that.  Right now none of us know enough in order to definitively say Hard School dates back to Duff-era mid 90s GNR sessions

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Axl said in 2008 that Jackie Chan was the real name of Checkmate, which is what we used to call the Hardschool snippet that leaked back in 2006, before we knew what it really was.

So Jackie Chan and Hardschool are indeed the same song.

Duff told Howard Stern in 1996 (before Slash quit) that the band was “doing a song for a new Jackie Chan movie.” Was he in fact talking about the song Jackie Chan/ Hardschool? Hard to say.

For what it’s worth, tho, Fortus said in 2014 that one of the chidem2 songs was built from a riff that slash recorded for the band in the mid 90s. Was that riff the one for Hardschool? Again, hard to say.

Exactly! And I would emphasize the "hard to say" -parts. You can speculate all you want, but when people start to act like their theories are basically confirmed facts, that's when people fall flat on their faces.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

Exactly! And I would emphasize the "hard to say" -parts. You can speculate all you want, but when people start to act like their theories are basically confirmed facts, that's when people fall flat on their faces.

That's why I said "most likely". 

9 minutes ago, Michael Van Gerwen said:

It could explain why Hard School has a Sorum like drumming style, And the tempo is a very basic classic GNR sounding tempo. It could also be Axl trolling us cause and trying to confuse us.

Sorum mentioned that there were 7 completed songs and 7 songs they were working on at the time before Slash left. 

• Like 1

We won't know, unless/until Axl says something - or Slash or Duff, if it really dates from 1996.

Fortus was asked about the "Checkmate" clip (someone referenced the lyrics) in the same 2014 interview/guitar clinic where he mentioned that there were songs Slash "had helped plant the seed for", and he said it didn't ring a bell. Maybe he didn't pay attention to the lyrics, maybe he didn't want to say or, maybe, Hard School wasn't revisited/reworked after 2001.

Maybe someone should ask Matt Sorum... 

7 hours ago, Blackstar said:

We won't know, unless/until Axl says something - or Slash or Duff, if it really dates from 1996.

Fortus was asked about the "Checkmate" clip (someone referenced the lyrics) in the same 2014 interview/guitar clinic where he mentioned that there were songs Slash "had helped plant the seed for", and he said it didn't ring a bell. Maybe he didn't pay attention to the lyrics, maybe he didn't want to say or, maybe, Hard School wasn't revisited/reworked after 2001.

Maybe someone should ask Matt Sorum... 

That’s actually a very obvious but good idea - he most likely would give a straight answer!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Pretty funny coincidence, the new rehearsal clip of Axl singing on Hard School is just as long as the leaked clip in 2006, same amount of lyrics and all.

A coincidence or something more sinister.....🧐

😂

12 hours ago, Draguns said:

It could be a possibility, but I doubt it. If you look at how Hard School is structured, it has a similar structure to classic era GNR. CD songs sound much different than this. 

I disagree. There are some instrumental songs in the Village Sessions that are too more classic GNR than the CD songs, like Quicksong and Oklahoma. 

It seems to me that Axl wanted to push for a different approach (epic ballads, mid-tempo rockers with weird riffs and synths), but the band itself also tried a more straightforward hard rock songs.

It really is kinda weird to me how those other songs were not picked to be released first, as Axl said on record early on that he would first release a more guitar driven songs and then push for more "agressive electronica" in the second album. Those instrumentals also sound different from the few other "confirmed" CD 2 songs we heard: Silkworms, Going Down, OMG reworked and The General (from what I could tell in that shitty recording). Maybe he changed his mind after Buckethead joined and just ditched those more classic GNR sounding tracks, which would still be his plan until Slash and Duff came back.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

That’s actually a very obvious but good idea - he most likely would give a straight answer!

Yeah, although,  supposing it dates from that time, it most likely didn't have lyrics yet. So Matt should be sent the leak and/or the rehearsal clip, too, and asked about the "Jackie Chan" song.

But I think at this point even Slash or Duff could be asked by an informed interviewer, as HS has become kind of semi-official now, since it's been rehearsed and it's not just a leak anymore - like, "I heard you rehearsed a new song in Mexico, what is it all about?" :lol:

9 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah, although,  supposing it dates from that time, it most likely didn't have lyrics yet. So Matt should be sent the leak and/or the rehearsal clip, too, and asked about the "Jackie Chan" song.

But I think at this point even Slash or Duff could be asked by an informed interviewer, as HS has become kind of semi-official now, since it's been rehearsed and it's not just a leak anymore - like, "I heard you rehearsed a new song in Mexico, what is it all about?" :lol:

Very true. Although same could be said of the other ‘classic’ sounding ones like Quick Song I guess! Let’s just fire him all 15ish discs and get him to pick out which ones he knows! 😂

Seriously though - would love to know what tracks were ‘done’ he alluded to before he was sacked. Don’t see why he wouldn’t be open about answering?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/9/2020 at 10:00 AM, Kranich said:

Has anyone got the tabs for hardschool ?

Its easy to learn by ear for the simplified version of it

To my ear,m: There are basic rhythm guitars that play the verse riff only using single notes (not power chords), theres a guitar thats panned to the center that plays a power chord variation of the riff, and then theres also a pair of guitars that are playing a very odd octave-chord melody, that are buried deep in the mix.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Alabaster said:

Some rumbo studios reel tapes:

https://ibb.co/4tffQLH

These are mostly Duff's material, were forgotten in a storage space, the owner notified the band and Duff has collected them.

The only reel tape that is related to GnR is the one containing Machine Gun and Tooth Puller, which is from the Duff-Izzy demos in 1995 (the same sessions Down By The Ocean came from). Has nothing to do with the Village leaks and Zutaut's locker.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Alabaster said:

The one labeled as "GNR" could include some Slash... since the rest are labeled as Duff+Izzy. It's from 1995 so it could contain the riffs that Fortus talked about. Who knows!

From all the interviews and the information we have, those demos were just Duff and Izzy. Slash was touring with Snakepit and didn't work at all with GnR in 1995 (except in the beginning of the year with Zakk Wylde). 

Also I don't think all these are from Rumbo studios. 

Do we think if all the leaked tunes we heard became part of CD2 we would actually still like them as much as we do now or do we only like them this much because they are rare leaks? I for one love Hardschool and Atlas but i wonder if these were released under normal circumstances the songs would be as ‘good’ in a sense.

On another note im hoping they play Hardschool at their next concert. I watched every show of the final leg of NITL thinkinf they’d play it and now its actually been rehearsed its the time to release some new stuff.

7 hours ago, Mendez said:

Its easy to learn by ear for the simplified version of it

To my ear,m: There are basic rhythm guitars that play the verse riff only using single notes (not power chords), theres a guitar thats panned to the center that plays a power chord variation of the riff, and then theres also a pair of guitars that are playing a very odd octave-chord melody, that are buried deep in the mix.

I don't know, to me it sounds like regular power chords. I tried to send you a DM with the video I made playing the song, but the point is that it was possible the octave-chord melody was played together with the main verse riff.