Hard School FULL LEAK Discussion **NO LINKS**7 Day Suspension For Asking For Links**

3 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The point is they're unheard Axl songs and better versions of CD songs... plus the leaks were probably the only way we were ever gonna hear Atlas with Brian May. rock4

Very true. I just treated it like an EP and was more than grateful for the series of events that played out. It boggles my kind that Hardschool wasn’t on CD. Any of those songs really deserved to heard and represented. I would have loved to read reviews of CD if it was a double album. That’s assuming The General is badass and some of the instrumentals do have lyrics. 

18 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Very true. I just treated it like an EP and was more than grateful for the series of events that played out. It boggles my kind that Hardschool wasn’t on CD. Any of those songs really deserved to heard and represented. I would have loved to read reviews of CD if it was a double album. That’s assuming The General is badass and some of the instrumentals do have lyrics. 

He planned on two albums, and maybe he didn't have that many "fast" songs, so HS may have been saved for CD II in order to distribute the "big guns" uniformly. 

29 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

That’s the best assumption, but you would think he would want the album to be undeniable.

Yes but that'd be debatable whether just one song - HS or other - would change that. And maybe there wasn't as much material as we thought for the sequel to be as good as CD. Well, all speculations ofc. 

25 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Yes but that'd be debatable whether just one song - HS or other - would change that. And maybe there wasn't as much material as we thought for the sequel to be as good as CD. Well, all speculations ofc. 

I believe you are one of the few here that anticipate one last album from GNR? I think that’s you. It’s always nice to see some optimism regarding new music.

22 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I believe you are one of the few here that anticipate one last album from GNR? I think that’s you. It’s always nice to see some optimism regarding new music.

I was purely speaking about the alleged CD II that was supposed to happen some time later after CD. I don't really associate that thing with whatever the upcoming record will be. And yes, I absolutely don't doubt we'll see a new album from the reunited band, and I don't think it will be just revamped CD leftovers (aka CD II) either, or at least I hope not. 

People seem to love extremes. According to some, we're either getting new material regularly, or we're currently not getting anything, which must inevitably mean there's nothing available and nothing planned. I don't subsrcibe to this POV; I belive we're getting some stuff sooner or later, but unfortunately, we've been stuck with a troublesome combination of perfectionism, uneven distribution of power in the band, and terrible management - which also frustrates fans and makes one think they couldn't ever come up with the kind of promo AC/DC are doing right now (even though it's an easy thing to do). Again, we'll see what happens, and I still have hope they'll manage somehow when the time comes. Unlike others, I don't believe it's all Axl solely at the helm and the rest just sitting there quietly. Axl would be fucked without Slash, and Slash can make money (albeit less) without GNR. He's almost as powerful of an element in the current band as Axl IMO. 

Edit:

The trouble with these fuckers is that they never update us on their work, and they are old school, thinking keeping everything under the lid is cool. May have been back in 2002, but no, not any longer. And in combination with everything else, we’re in for a tough path. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

I was purely speaking about the alleged CD II that was supposed to happen some time later after CD. I don't really associate that thing with whatever the upcoming record will be. And yes, I absolutely don't doubt we'll see a new album from the reunited band, and I don't think it will be just revamped CD leftovers (aka CD II) either, or at least I hope not. 

People seem to love extremes. According to some, we're either getting new material regularly, or we're currently not getting anything, which must inevitably mean there's nothing available and nothing planned. I don't subsrcibe to this POV; I belive we're getting some stuff sooner or later, but unfortunately, we've been stuck with a troublesome combination of perfectionism, uneven distribution of power in the band, and terrible management - which also frustrates fans and makes one think they couldn't ever come up with the kind of promo AC/DC are doing right now (even though it's an easy thing to do). Again, we'll see what happens, and I still have hope they'll manage somehow when the time comes. Unlike others, I don't believe it's all Axl solely at the helm and the rest just sitting there quietly. Axl would be fucked without Slash, and Slash can make money (albeit less) without GNR. He's almost as powerful of an element in the current band as Axl IMO. 

Edit:

The trouble with these fuckers is that they never update us on their work, and they are old school, thinking keeping everything under the lid is cool. May have been back in 2002, but no, not any longer. And in combination with everything else, we’re in for a tough path. 

Excellent post. I enjoy when people discourse with logic and reason on this forum. A rarity. I agree with you the secrecy is outdated at this point. A little insight into the what’s happening would go a long way, but I still love GNR. And I’m hopeful for new music. Kick ass new music, too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jamillos said:

Edit:

I personally think the hush hush is mostly driven by axl.

When slash does a new SMKC release he promotes alot on twitter and he has a good promotional vehicle. Plus he has meeghan communicate to fans what sort of product is in the works.

Im sure slash would be happy during any press interviews to really say they are working on material and give his thoughts. How many songs on the album, album art work, promotional plans etc.But i personally think the whole quietness is from Axl and i guess the band have to respect his wishes. I really dont know why axl cant be open about the new material or plans the band have. Im sure he has a reason we just dont know what that is. I also feel its axl as to why we havnt got a NITL dvd.

Edited by Sydney Fan

24 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

I personally think the hush hush is mostly driven by axl.

When slash does a new SMKC release he promotes alot on twitter and he has a good promotional vehicle. Plus he has meeghan communicate to fans what sort of product is in the works.

Im sure slash would be happy during any press interviews to really say they are working on material and give his thoughts. How many songs on the album, album art work, promotional plans etc.But i personally think the whole quietness is from Axl and i guess the band have to respect his wishes. I really dont know why axl cant be open about the new material or plans the band have. Im sure he has a reason we just dont know what that is. I also feel its axl as to why we havnt got a NITL dvd.

It sounds reasonable, yes. I meant more like I don't believe Slash (and Duff) would want to just stay a touring act without ever releasing anything new. As for the dvd, that's a mystery. When else than now?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jackparker123 said:

Still loving this leak, easily a strong 8 or 9/10 tune for me.

yup!  jut listened to it yesterday.  It is so strange that they will not release one new song.  What could it hurt to keep the interest? Look at the excitement the new AC/DC song is generating.  This band is so weird  

• Like 1

I won't use this opportunity to turn this thread into a "Fantasy Chinese Democracy album tracklist" but my thoughts are...

If Hard School had replaced Shackler's Revenge on the album I think it will have quite substantially better received.

I think a lot of GN'R casuals and general Rock N' Roll casuals will have picked up the album, listened to the title track and been relatively happy but then once it went into Shackler's will have been quite turned off by it. As much as I love Shackler's, I remember hearing the Chicken Dinner leak for the first time and actually finding the track quite abhorrent :lol: Definitely took me a bunch of listens to warm up to it, a perseverance that I don't think many people would've endured!

Still love HS and listen to it a few times a week, a good old school GN'R vibe mixed with a more contemporary edge - qualities that I think casual GNR fans/RNR fans would've warmed to and therefore made the album more palatable and ultimately better received!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CAFC Nick said:

I won't use this opportunity to turn this thread into a "Fantasy Chinese Democracy album tracklist" but my thoughts are...

If Hard School had replaced Shackler's Revenge on the album I think it will have quite substantially better received.

I think a lot of GN'R casuals and general Rock N' Roll casuals will have picked up the album, listened to the title track and been relatively happy but then once it went into Shackler's will have been quite turned off by it. As much as I love Shackler's, I remember hearing the Chicken Dinner leak for the first time and actually finding the track quite abhorrent :lol: Definitely took me a bunch of listens to warm up to it, a perseverance that I don't think many people would've endured!

Still love HS and listen to it a few times a week, a good old school GN'R vibe mixed with a more contemporary edge - qualities that I think casual GNR fans/RNR fans would've warmed to and therefore made the album more palatable and ultimately better received!

I totaly agree. The album would have a totaly different vibe if it was:

1. Chinese Democracy

2. Hardschool

3. Better with the new/a different intro and generally more old school approach

4. The Blues

and so on. Chinese with a shorter intro like the older, leaked versions.

I believe the album, as it existed in 2008 (and now) would have been better (no pun intended) received if they promoted the hell out of it using Better as a single with a lot of radio play, a good music video, etc. The album is a hidden gem in music in general. 

6 minutes ago, Creed said:

The production value of the album was SHIT. The tracks rerecorded by Duff, Slash, Matt and Izzy + new Axl vocals + VR's tech would have made it a much better album

I believe a 2000-ish version of CD would have been better than the 2008 album, for the most part. Most of the rough mixes sounded better than the album IMO, which is funny.

I don't think there was anything wrong with the vocals, in fact I bet a considerable amount of the next album (CD2 or whatever with Slash and Duff thrown in) will have 1999-2007 Axl vocals with some touch-ups.