2018 CD Leaks Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

He also said that there was a full album with vocals at the time he did the sessions (late 1999):

MAH: ... There are many many people, who've spoken to journalists, who've have played with Axl over a number of years now, who have laid claims recently that the only one track that Axl has ever laid down a vocal part for is "Oh My God", which is obviously featured on the Schwartzenager film, "End Of Days", but you're saying there are more vocal parts then?

Brian May: Oh yeah - there's a whole album of vocal parts - in fact there's two albums' worth that they've got there, at least. Um, they played me EVERYTHING. Axl actually sat down and MADE ME listen to everything (laughing) and there's some wonderful stuff there. Yeah.

I really wonder how deep this rabbit hole goes for how much has been recorded in the two decades this Chinese Democracy project dominated the band.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, djtripp20 said:

The General cell phone clip is the most intriguing thing left out there for me. It sounds so friggin mean man.

Agreed! I was listening to "Hospitality" by Buckethead and it reminded me of that guitar lead on "The General". I often wonder if Buckethead low key plays unheard GN'R guitar leads/solos on his Pikes albums... 

Edited by DarkLotus1111
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Yep. The difference is that they already recorded the demos layers to be ready to use in the final product. In a normal band, this is really good to mantain the original intention and feeling of the performance. With GNR tho, it's kinda like they were throwing around ideas and hoping something stick and survive the editing and mixing process.

I believe the accoustic demo could be all Tommy, including guitars and drums (are they even real drums or just some programmed drum machine?).

good point of course.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Atlas feels a hell of a lot more completed than Hard School does to me 

I'm not sure what else you'd put on Hard School - Atlas feels like some of the intro and synthy sounds need work.

It needs a proper mix to seperate out some the guitar layers and give it a little air (it sounds a bit like its being played in a small room) but instrumentation wise I'd say its pretty done.

I'm assuming both of these are from the late 2000 rough mixes CD's - the stuff that Roy Thomas Baker worked on.

Has anyone worked out where the 1999 tapes came from - because it doesn't seem to be clearly part of the locker.

On 10/09/2019 at 4:46 PM, Voodoochild said:

I know Axl made that same laugh as used in this song, but I can't see any good reason on why would he cover this song. I hope it's just a joke in the title. 

I see. Well, I still cant hear much of those artefacts in the transition of the notes as its not something I think it's as robotic as you say. I do think that when he sings "too hard school" is a bit more weird (or maybe unnatural) to me.

Did Axl admit he used vocal tuning tho? I don't remember that. I'm sure he have, but I just don't remember any quotes about that besides when he denied using it in live performances.

From the Eddie Trunk 2006 Interview:

"Bach: Hey, how do you feel about Pro Tools on lead vocals?

Axl: What do you mean?

Bach: Like, I mean I just went through this horrible experience doing this album with this guy that like took my lead vocals and like put them and made them so perfect that it was nauseating, like that's the style now of producing lead vocals, like making it so perfect that to me it sucks

Axl: I think that there all types of different ways to do it, I mean you can definitely overproduce it and make it too perfect that it's a nightmare and it makes it sterile. Or you can use a little bit of everything. You can push it every way possible using the technology and doing it, everything you can do. We.... the only thing you have heard has been the leaks but there's different things where its just like.... I don't like to stretch things with Pro Tools or anything like that. I don't like that kind of cheating...It's a lot faster. "

So he's not using Auto-Tune/Melodyne like a pop music producer that would be rediculous - you can use vocal tuning just to simply tighten up the vocals. Also some people prefer to do 1 or 2 takes and use a complete take of the song and use a little touch of tuning rather than chopping up multiple takes. I highly doubt Axl uses it live - it doesn't really work live very well unless you are wanting to do the Auto-Tune brickwall effect (Cher effect), due to the issue of having to decided how much it attacks and holds.

I'm pretty sure the 1999 versions have no tuning on it, whereas the RTB era recordings have had vocal tuning done on them. Of course it could be some form of other vocal processing that has created the slight phasing/lack of clarity you get from it (its also present on everything made in the last 20 years to some extent so everyone (myself included!) is so used to it now). The final album has vocal tuning on all vocals, its standard procedure - it must of been incorperated when they completly re-recorded the album with RTB, which is when I believe they moved to Pro-Tools (Eric Caudeix et al.).

Edited by life_247
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

What’s the bets there is another leak this weekend? Seems that’s when these songs appear!

My money is on "no". It seems like the hoarder bitchfight has died out and the people that were handfed bits and pieces of info don't have anything to say anymore. 

2 hours ago, life_247 said:

Bach: Like, I mean I just went through this horrible experience doing this album with this guy that like took my lead vocals and like put them and made them so perfect that it was nauseating, like that's the style now of producing lead vocals, like making it so perfect that to me it sucks

Axl: I think that there all types of different ways to do it, I mean you can definitely overproduce it and make it too perfect that it's a nightmare and it makes it sterile. Or you can use a little bit of everything. You can push it every way possible using the technology and doing it, everything you can do. We.... the only thing you have heard has been the leaks but there's different things where its just like.... I don't like to stretch things with Pro Tools or anything like that. I don't like that kind of cheating...It's a lot faster. "

So he's not using Auto-Tune/Melodyne like a pop music producer that would be rediculous - you can use vocal tuning just to simply tighten up the vocals. Also some people prefer to do 1 or 2 takes and use a complete take of the song and use a little touch of tuning rather than chopping up multiple takes. I highly doubt Axl uses it live - it doesn't really work live very well unless you are wanting to do the Auto-Tune brickwall effect (Cher effect), due to the issue of having to decided how much it attacks and holds.

I'm pretty sure the 1999 versions have no tuning on it, whereas the RTB era recordings have had vocal tuning done on them. Of course it could be some form of other vocal processing that has created the slight phasing/lack of clarity you get from it (its also present on everything made in the last 20 years to some extent so everyone (myself included!) is so used to it now). The final album has vocal tuning on all vocals, its standard procedure - it must of been incorperated when they completly re-recorded the album with RTB, which is when I believe they moved to Pro-Tools (Eric Caudeix et al.).

I think the IRS 99 demo had a bum note that Axl hit but was corrected in the later demos - can't remember but it was, but I noticed it right away

1 hour ago, username said:

My money is on "no". It seems like the hoarder bitchfight has died out and the people that were handfed bits and pieces of info don't have anything to say anymore. 

We can but hope I guess but if not, just getting Hard School will do for me!

8 hours ago, DarkLotus1111 said:

Agreed! I was listening to "Hospitality" by Buckethead and it reminded me of that guitar lead on "The General". I often wonder if Buckethead low key plays unheard GN'R guitar leads/solos on his Pikes albums... 

I'm positive some of what went into Buckethead's "Enter the Chicken" was material intended for GNR.

2 hours ago, username said:

It does seem like its all done for now. And I think we got most of the best quality stuff on these discs already. 

1 minute ago, RedHook said:

It does seem like its all done for now. And I think we got most of the best quality stuff on these discs already. 

It's funny, if I had to pick 2 of any of the unheard tracks on those CDs it would have been Atlas Shrugged and Hardschool/Jackie Chan.  I'd say we made out pretty good, if they are in fact done sharing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, life_247 said:

Thanks, thats a very informative post. I love to read those kind of stuff. :)

It's perfectly normal to use ProTools and some of its conveniences. It's kinda ridiculous to expect an artist in the digital age to not use it, it would be like asking a movie producer to not edit it on Avid. The thing is when they use the grid to make a drum sounding like a machine. 

I recommend this channel. Rick Beato is an awesome producer and has a lot to teach on those kind of things:

• Like 1