2018 CD Leaks Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

Just now, zigzagbigbag said:

Have there been any actions/reactions by TB regarding the recent leaks? I am asking because (aside from YT) there are still everywhere. 

Don't think so. I bet Fernandouche is STILL exhausted from that 3 hour meeting back in 2013. 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, soon said:

I believe the tracks are only protected if copyrights were filed? So the officially released versions are copyright protected. But with some of the leaked versions being so different then officially released they might be in a grey area. Certainly with the previously unreleased tracks - they may not have been filed for protection? For instance if they copyrighted Goin Down before the addition of the lead guitar melodies, theyd need to file all over again - typically one waits for the finished product to copyright for these reasons. 

Today music can be filed for copyright by sounds recording or musical notation (if you follow the Stair Way case you'll know what a terrible system musical notation copyright is). But its possible that when Brain had the entire CD recordings with Freese staffed out, they may have filed that? However drums/ rhythms are not considered Original enough to protect. But if the person staffed out the chords and melody (which is entirely likely) then the entire Fresse era maybe copyright protected in a Musical Notation file.  

https://blog.reverbnation.com/2018/04/25/music-law-101-what-does-copyright-law-protect/

Under the impression that copyright would arise automatically in the creation of the recording. Based on what we think we know about the band at the time, copyright would probably rest with the employer, i.e GNR, i.e Axl. 

The recordings themselves may need to be registered as such but the compositions would be copyright protected at the moment of creation. 

It's a tough area of law, as it's very jurisdictional dependent. In the EU we have the copyright directive (one of many) that the UK CDPA kind of works with, but even then it's a bit of a minefield. 

14 minutes ago, TeeJay410 said:

I asked earlier but it got buried, does anyone have any album artwork they are using for these?

And yeah. Even if silkworms isn't my favorite, an album of just these leaks plus silkworms and oh my God would make a hell of an ep/short album/bonus disc

Yes!

0b7dcefca1adc0bfb56ee5de0a08dbcf.jpg

For the B-Sides I use this one (this was from the Shackler's Revenge single, but it was never released, obviously):

guns3.gif

Edited by Legendador
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

I’d like to take this opportunity to, once again, remind everyone that it is not a good idea to PM a mod asking for leaks, current or old. Our suspension policy applies to any materials leaked at any time, it’s not specific to leaks that have just recently happened. 

But we like seeing you as a human being and a gnr fan first. And a mod second. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I could be wrong, but I think Quick Song, Nothing and Eye On You are the only ones left with vocals. 

Someone somewhere said nothing has a Pink Floyd vibe. If this is true.....I’m ready. Also literally the only people who care about this shit are diehard super fans. Is anyone else surprised that not a single media outlet is reporting on this stuff? Is UM working behind the scenes to keep this out of the news? I figured Alternative Nation, Metal Sludge, Blabbermouth, ect...would be all over this? Bizarre.....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Creed said:

the other rumor is Axl was finally informed about the leaks by TB and Universal.

He's flippin' yo'

Gimme dat TONTO.

LOL, we can count on several hands the amount of rumors our "insiders" have provided in the past month that haven't panned out. 

Who really knows what's going on with TB, UMG and / or Axl. 

If anything, I hope they're reading this and seeing all the positive reaction to these leaks. I also hope they're seeing how many people would love to pay GNR for this music. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Creed said:

the other rumor is Axl was finally informed about the leaks by TB and Universal.

He's flippin' yo'

Gimme dat TONTO.

Yup heard that one too! :blink:

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

LOL, we can count on several hands the amount of rumors our "insiders" have provided in the past month that haven't panned out. 

If anything, I hope they're reading this and seeing all the positive reaction to these leaks. I also hope they're seeing how many people would love to pay GNR for this music. 

This is why I made a point earlier of saying I wish I could pay for this

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

When your “base” (who are the only ppl listening) are freaking out about how badass your demos from 20 years ago are I would think it would make you somewhat happy? GNR please take my money. I’m happy to buy expensive concert tickets, new music (in every format available), cool art work, books, concert blu ray compilations (think HOB 01, Saskatoon, NITL troubadour) ect....Not 1000$ box sets of 30 year old songs, toy trucks, laundry bags. You are the most badass band of all time. Put out badass content and we will buy the fuck out of it!!!!! 

• Like 1

"There's been some concern... that if we play five or six new songs, then there can't be that many more on the album. Au contraire, mon frère. We're just playing the songs we're not considering putting out as singles or anything. So, you'll get 18 songs, and about 10 extra tracks. And when that... when the record company feels that has run its course, then you'll get it all over again. By that time, I should be done with the third album. So we'll see if all goes well, boys and girls."

Axl, 26th August 2002

Edited by Amir
  • Sad 2

I try and look at things in life from an objective/subjective approach.  Hard to take shots at TB.  They could be genuinely nice people and just have a position within the band to help in some form obviously.  I am aware of their actual positions, but it obviously goes deeper.  I look at it from perspective of, TB and others we think might probably don't have the control many/we think.  Ultimately the band, their attorney's, their publicists, their label, marketing, and conglomerates that own the labels, and who knows who else have control.  I think we didn't hear this stuff all of these years because as Axl once said "how do you take something that was once so big and re-create with an entirely new group of people." It's a big risk when you are the sole survivor regardless of who is at fault, you add in a label and several managers who envision things certain ways that they would like things to be and it becomes a clusterfuck.  We all agree we love the band pretty much in all forms.  I defended the band to friends all of the time since I was 13 years old that "CD" was coming, over and over, buying metal edge and reading the metal wire, spin, rolling stone magazine just to catch a glimpse of news.  We went from hearing all about the band was doing in the early 90's to absolutely nothing.  That is what sucks.  That is the slap in the face to me.    They don't have to do individual interviews if they don't want to.  I could understand them not wanting to do that much so words aren't twisted.  What would be best is have a random fan or person from here even ask them the hard questions about releasing new/old music.  Or they could do a youtube livestream of only axl/slash/duff having that discussion with nobody interview them.  Just them and the world.  They would be in control.  Bottom line they technically don't have to do anything and they will still make millions.  They could re-release all of these leaks in complete polished form and we would all buy them as we all did with Chinese.  They do owe it to their fans to give more explanations and more information regarding such things.  The mystique is old an annoying.  Fans make anyone in a media spotlight.  I've played music for years myself and had mediocre success throughout my own life and some of those people still follow my music to this day, albeit very few. This band doesn't have to worry about.  I understand the artistic integrity portion whole-heartedly too, but there comes a point where you have to let go or time passes you buy and we all end up forgotten or a was or has been.

1 minute ago, Creed said:

we aint 'the base'. and even 'we, the nerds' dislike things about the leaks.

just play 'perhaps' to your friends or in bar, etc and people will say 'can you skip the track / change the radio station, please?'. These leaks are no 'hit material' at all. and the masses won't like it. 

Fuck the masses, the masses are morons

6 minutes ago, TeeJay410 said:

If TB and Axl are reading I will pay money for a mixed and mastered official release of these five songs. They are good. We WANT TO GIVE YOU MONEY. Not for a toy truck or candles, for good music, which you have!

If they dropped a box set release for this and UYI I'd drop a couple of hundred on each easily

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

45 minutes ago, Creed said:

He's flippin' yo'

Gimme dat TONTO.

The person you're getting this information is a joke.  

He's not an "insider."  

He's been wrong more times than right to the point where he's just playing a guessing game and seeing what sticks.  According to this "insider" GNR was suppose to be done a year or two ago and Axl was going to be touring and recording with AC/DC.  

When that didn't pan out he deleted his account at another forum, removed his posts, but now is somehow positioning himself as some sort of bonafide insider again.  

The guy is a sad and pathetic joke and not to be taken seriously.  

That said, I think anyone here with half a brain could put two and two together and guess that Axl ain't happy with what's transpired in the last four or five weeks.  As @RussTCB said, hopefully Axl sees how much joy it's bringing his fans but all things considered, it's not much of a wager to assume Axl ain't loving some of his life's work is spilling out onto the internet in a manner and form not of his choosing.