2018 CD Leaks Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

15 minutes ago, Arnuld said:

I’m trying to forget that era of the band. Axl overweight with the handle bar mustache. DJ Ashba. The whole thing makes me shutter...

To be fair, as much as Ashba winds me up and probably shouldn't ever have gotten the gig (not good enough from a musicianship / musical ability, and his copycat image accelerated the band towards pantomime) I saw NewGuns with Ashba at Nottingham Uk in (I think) 2014 and the overall sonic vibe and performance was actually very good.

However I can't see me ever pining after this era and wanting to rewind the clock like I do with AFD/UYI or the Bucket/Brain eras.

2009-2010 and 2011-2014 are almost two different era's... Dj wasn't that bad at first, and with Axl sounding as good as he did it was easier to ignore him. Fast-forward to 2011-12 and Axl seemed to have given up, Dj's stage antics and "social media personality" had become grating, Bumblefoot was in his pissed off emo phase (after dealing with a fuckin' car wreck), the shows had become stale.... but that line-up did have potential at first.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I could be wrong, but I think Quick Song, Nothing and Eye On You are the only ones left with vocals. 

When the guy who was posting pics of the CDs on Reddit was doing an AMA he listed 15-16 songs with Axl vocals, but he deleted the post & now I can't find it anywhere but I'm pretty sure Zodiac, me & my Elvis & Oklahoma we're on it.

3 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

That’s it? I thought the initial story was a member here drive to purchase a CD with 15 songs on it. Wasn’t that the narrative? What happen to that guy?

I seem to remember this as well....and it would line up with what any people around during that era said “lots of instrumentals, very little vocals” obviously these weren’t recorded like afd or lies when they were all in the studio and did most of their parts together.

From what it sounds the different iterations of the lineups would record a shit ton of music and give it to axl, when axl felt like it he’d drop some vocals. I always felt like the re-recorded AFD was a warmup for both axl and the band and never meant for release.

56 minutes ago, AxlIsGod. said:

Ashba WaterTM  was quite good.

Ashba explaining his water:

“Everybody keeps asking me, ‘Why water?’ For many, many years, I’ve been wanting to do an alcohol or… like a vodka or a tequila… And I was actually in my clothing store at the Stratosphere [in Las Vegas] designing a vodka bottle, and a kid came in and asked if we had some water. And he left. Probably thirty minutes later, somebody else came in asking if we carried water. And a third person walked in [asking for water]. And I just sat there and I go, ‘You know what? Why am I not doing water?’ Because everybody can buy water. And, to be honest, there’s very few really good good-tasting waters out there. So we did an extensive amount of research, found the best bottling company we could possibly find, and that was it. And we went to work. So it is awesome. And it’s really fucking killer quality — 21-gram plastic bottles, so it’s not the kind where you open it up and shit goes all over the place.”

I love it how Ashba somehow sells it as a positive that his water uses MORE single-use plastic with heavier bottles... Terrible.

Anyway, don't want to derail this thread into Ashba-bashing, so last comment on this from me.

Edited by ToonGuns
spelling

10 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

2009-2010 and 2011-2014 are almost two different era's... Dj wasn't that bad at first, and with Axl sounding as good as he did it was easier to ignore him. Fast-forward to 2011-12 and Axl seemed to have given up, Dj's stage antics and "social media personality" had become grating, Bumblefoot was in his pissed off emo phase (after dealing with a fuckin' car wreck), the shows had become stale.... but that line-up did have potential at first.

2011 was more hit than miss, there were some great shows, 2012 was 50/50 but still had some great shows, 2013 had no energy or excitement, 2014 near the end of the residency had great concerts. Very interesting years

1 minute ago, MrMojo said:

2011 was more hit than miss, there were some great shows, 2012 was 50/50 but still had some great shows, 2013 had no energy or excitement, 2014 near the end of the residency had great concerts. Very interesting years

I don't know if "interesting" is the right word, lol.

The shows I saw in 2011 were lots of fun. 2012 was cool to see Axl and Izzy play some songs together but the shows themselves were probably the 'worst' GNR shows I've seen. I saw the last 2 shows in 2014 and they were good, but most shows that year were pretty bad honestly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Argentino said:

About the less relevant material, I guess the next leak is the version of wttj by that nugnr

I remember a 1999 afd clip circulating on youtube a couple of years ago

The only thing we got from AFD was the scom version edited for Big Daddy back in 1999.

Nothing else.

4 hours ago, RussTCB said:

LOL, we can count on several hands the amount of rumors our "insiders" have provided in the past month that haven't panned out. 

Who really knows what's going on with TB, UMG and / or Axl. 

If anything, I hope they're reading this and seeing all the positive reaction to these leaks. I also hope they're seeing how many people would love to pay GNR for this music. 

Amen. There is no way Dexter hasn't been online and seen the love and positivity. And like with the Antiquiet leaks he's sharp enough to know the difference between damage and underground positivity. Media are watching. People are ready for new stuff in the best way. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Finck2006 said:

Lo único que obtuvimos de AFD fue la versión de scom editada para Big Daddy en 1999.

Nada más.

No, there was a clip with fragments of Nightrain, Rocket Queen and some other song with studio quality different from what can be heard on the Live ERA. The video title was something like "AFD 1999?"

Just got back from vacation, seems like I pick the worst times to be away from the internet for 24 hours :lol: quick thoughts:

State of Grace-  Rough, but it has potential to be a grunge classic in the catalog.

Perhaps-  Glorious, belongs on an album.  Has to be the song about Lennon too.  The instrumentation is fantastic, May kills it.  Axl's vocal delivery is pretty unique here too.

Knockin' acoustic- Really can't care less about covers of songs Guns already covered, but it's a nice style for the song; definitely belongs as just a B-side to a single though

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

True. Axl’s voice was great in 2010. Still really missed Robin. Always loved his stage presence and especially his weird wizard look in 2006-2007. 

• Like 2

Look at all them Gunners browsing down there!! You see this Dexter?!! We want your stuff!! 

15 minutes ago, Gackt said:

Just got back from vacation, seems like I pick the worst times to be away from the internet for 24 hours :lol: quick thoughts:

State of Grace-  Rough, but it has potential to be a grunge classic in the catalog.

Perhaps-  Glorious, belongs on an album.  Has to be the song about Lennon too.  The instrumentation is fantastic, May kills it.  Axl's vocal delivery is pretty unique here too.

Knockin' acoustic- Really can't care less about covers of songs Guns already covered, but it's a nice style for the song; definitely belongs as just a B-side to a single though

Bring back b sides. Don't care in what context. ITunes exclusive, online only cd. Bring it and we will come 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jordan Rose said:

Look at all them Gunners browsing down there!! You see this Dexter?!! We want your stuff!! 

Bring back b sides. Don't care in what context. ITunes exclusive, online only cd. Bring it and we will come 

We will come.. and come hard :headbang:

12 minutes ago, Arnuld said:

True. Axl’s voice was great in 2010. Still really missed Robin. Always loved his stage presence and especially his weird wizard look in 2006-2007. 

The absence of Robin and Brain was one of the reasons why I had almost no interest in this era. 

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, MrMojo said:

Those last few shows in 2014 were great. Axl seemed to be trying to make a point busting out some killer vocals, bringing back yesterday's, twat, prostitute. It felt a little bit exciting again.

• GNFNR 1

46 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

Ashba explaining his water:

“Everybody keeps asking me, ‘Why water?’ For many, many years, I’ve been wanting to do an alcohol or… like a vodka or a tequila… And I was actually in my clothing store at the Stratosphere [in Las Vegas] designing a vodka bottle, and a kid came in and asked if we had some water. And he left. Probably thirty minutes later, somebody else came in asking if we carried water. And a third person walked in [asking for water]. And I just sat there and I go, ‘You know what? Why am I not doing water?’ Because everybody can buy water. And, to be honest, there’s very few really good good-tasting waters out there. So we did an extensive amount of research, found the best bottling company we could possibly find, and that was it. And we went to work. So it is awesome. And it’s really fucking killer quality — 21-gram plastic bottles, so it’s not the kind where you open it up and shit goes all over the place.”

I love it how Ashba somehow sells it as a positive that his water uses MORE single-use plastic with heavier bottles... Terrible.

Anyway, don't want to derail this thread into Ashba-bashing, so last comment on this from me.

*bottled by Massengill