2018 CD Leaks Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

23 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

I am guessing that since OMG was released in '99 and not intended for the album, since these are for working mixes of songs potentially for the new album at the time, OMG wouldn't be included

I do agree that this is probably a drop in the bucket regarding how much actual material existed, and most likely has exponentially increased since then as well

Never considered that actually - whether it was going to be on an album or a b-side.?The fact that Bumblefoot added guitars to a version later on suggested it may have been going to be on something. Plus Axl clearly likes it enough to add it to the sub setlist!

It's kinda peculiar to me how separate the BH tracks are to the others. Like, when you hear them, they are CLEAR Buckethead tracks. It just kinda further shows how fragmented the writing process was for all of this. It almost feels to me like there was one band centered around Axl/Finck/Tobias and then another that was Axl and Buckethead. There was certainly an issue with lack of focus or direction from these sessions, but it's pretty awesome what came out of it. Few artists can say they created this many different kinds of sounds across two years. 

This is from memory but TIL is mentioned in the Robert John documentary, something like "I wrote this tune last weekend yadayadayada" lockdown when that was filmed & you can tell when it was written.

I know it was written to a hip hop beat originally and I would love to hear that version. I wonder if the leak is actually closer to the original version than the album one is.

1 hour ago, Mac daddy ax said:

the 1992 or the 1998 this I love?

The 1992 Tape was destroyed in 1998.

There is no 1998 Tape as far as I know.

56 minutes ago, Shacklermyrye said:

This is from memory but TIL is mentioned in the Robert John documentary, something like "I wrote this tune last weekend yadayadayada" lockdown when that was filmed & you can tell when it was written.

I know it was written to a hip hop beat originally and I would love to hear that version. I wonder if the leak is actually closer to the original version than the album one is.

Only the orchestral bridge was written to a hip hop beat. Not the whole song.

I wanted to just jump in here before I start babbling about the leaks and publicly apologize to RussTCB for directly asking him for them last week:facepalm::P

I haven't been around in a good while, had a few whiskeys in me when I hopped on, and I recognized his name from fifteen years ago!

Did not realize he had become a mod here.  I'm sorry!

BTW-My wife laughed heartily at me for being a grown man who got school suspension from a GNR board...I deserved it! LOL

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

I wanted to just jump in here before I start babbling about the leaks and publicly apologize to RussTCB for directly asking him for them last week:facepalm::P

I haven't been around in a good while, had a few whiskeys in me when I hopped on, and I recognized his name from fifteen years ago!

Did not realize he had become a mod here.  I'm sorry!

BTW-My wife laughed heartily at me for being a grown man who got school suspension from a GNR board...I deserved it! LOL

All good :)

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Shacklermyrye said:

It isn't mentioned. Axl just said that he had started writing songs "this weekend":

Axl: [...] So I kind of wanted to wait, so that I develop some new ideas of what I want to do with photography, so that we can move forward. It’s like, I haven’t really written songs for a new album, until I started, like, this weekend, because I’ve been trying to get my head in a certain space that I was actually growing, rather than staying in the same place. [...]

http://www.a-4-d.com/t3461-1994-06-19-guns-n-roses-the-photographic-history-documentary

(The Photographic History was filmed in May 1993)

---------

The only time Axl mentioned TIL in the 90s (saying that it was the "heaviest thing" he'd ever written) was in an interview conducted in December 1992 during the SA tour (so earlier than May 1993) and printed in various outlets in 1993:

Axl: I wrote and recorded a new love song that I want on the next record called This I Love, that's the heaviest thing that I've ever done. Other than that, we're not even sure how we're gonna approach writing for this next album. 

---------

According to Chinese Whispers: Curiously, onstage in both Antebonné and Paris in September 2010, Axl would refer to This I Love as "the only GNR song written in France".

So the best guess is that it was written in France in the summer of 1992.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Thanks 1

Based on the following quote by Dave Dominguez (and also on what Axl said in the 2000 Rolling Stone interview) Oklahoma must be one of the earliest written tracks of the whole bunch, if not the earliest:

'Oklahoma' was pretty much written by the time they got to the studio. Axl wrote that with inspiration from the Oklahoma City bombing (more as a tribute to those who died, if I'm not mistaken).  [Dave Dominguez, Sp1at, 02/07/05]

So there must have been a few earlier, probably a lot simpler/more basic, versions of it before the version that is found on the storage locker CDs.

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Based on the following quote by Dave Dominguez (and also on what Axl said in the 2000 Rolling Stone interview) Oklahoma must be one of the earliest written tracks of the whole bunch, if not the earliest:

'Oklahoma' was pretty much written by the time they got to the studio. Axl wrote that with inspiration from the Oklahoma City bombing (more as a tribute to those who died, if I'm not mistaken).  [Dave Dominguez, Sp1at, 02/07/05]

So there must have been a few earlier, probably a lot simpler/more basic, versions of it before the version that is found on the storage locker CDs.

If it was brought in that early it’s pretty shocking there is no version with vocals on these discs. 

7 minutes ago, Arnuld said:

If it was brought in that early it’s pretty shocking there is no version with vocals on these discs. 

It is indeed, more so since it seems that Axl had lyrics for it (and probably had also written the basic composition). Maybe a version with vocals existed elsewhere, but just happened not to be on these CDs? But it also seems that Axl changed his mind about the lyrics, since it later was titled Berlin.

• Like 1

On 27.9.2019 at 7:10 PM, SoulMonster said:
Then why isn't This I Love found in demo form on the locker CDs? Maybe they started working on it afterwards, or maybe they worked on it before 2000 but stopped and it wasn't found on the locker CDs because Axl didn't want to release it, at least not as part of GN'R? We know that Robin and Caram insisted that it should be included, so presumably work then happened on it after 2000, and likely quite close to 2008 when CD was released.

6 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

I'm hearing Slash all over oklahoma, devious bastard, quick song ....maybe some others too that i don't remember right now.

I hear his style, feel, the wha pedal and i think i even hear a talkbox somewhere.

Is there zero chance that it's him ?

Could any of those song have slash matt and duff ?

Really are u asking that?

Edited by Finck2006