2018 CD Leaks Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

45 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Just to be clear, I don't think any of the staff have ever said it's OK to leak music. 

However, discussing GNR music is a big part of this forum so we've allowed people to discuss the leaks because it's GNR music and there's very little of that to go around. 

Allowing posting and discussion of emails that were always meant to be private (financial info and so on) just seems wrong to me. 

Yeah. I tend to agree with this. It's like doxxing people pretty much and could do a whole lot more damage to a persons career/life/mental state of mind than leaked tunes ever could. Let's be honest here because Axl/Guns can always write more songs and make more money but some damage once done... impossible to undue in most cases 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Just to be clear, I don't think any of the staff have ever said it's OK to leak music. 

However, discussing GNR music is a big part of this forum so we've allowed people to discuss the leaks because it's GNR music and there's very little of that to go around. 

Allowing posting and discussion of emails that were always meant to be private (financial info and so on) just seems wrong to me. 

Totally agree - no one on the staff said anything. I agree on not sharing whatever the staff decides - this was more of a devils advocate debate. Have I listened to the leaks? Yes! Would I read the emails? Yes.... I just don’t think anyone can easily justify one being more ok than the other if both were intended to be private. 

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

To the people who don't see the difference:

It's not okay to leak music that wasn't intended to be released either, but it's a different level of privacy.

Maybe it would help to understand it if you tried to think of yourself being in a position when 1) You did some creative work, which you didn't intend to release or intended to do so in the future, and which people who you worked with have heard/seen, and this work ends up getting leaked 2) Your private correspondence, where you shared your thoughts on whatever with a person you trusted, gets stolen and becomes public.

I guess you wouldn't like either, and in the first occasion you would potentially suffer financial damage. But which one would violate your rights the most?

Also, other artists' music has leaked as well, but I don't think there's a precedent where their private correspondence was leaked while they were alive and without any of the parties consent - it's not even the case where the sender or the receiver of the mails/letters makes them public.

And, ffs, it's just a band, it's not the Iraq War or something the future of a country or the world relies upon, where the right of the public to be informed might be above the right to privacy.

QFT. 

You said what I was thinking WAY better than I could've. Thanks! :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lio said:

How can you not see the difference in listening to unreleased songs and reading other people's private e-mails?

Songs were meant to be heard, although not in this version per se, but they were made with the intention to have us listen to it.

Those e-mails were never meant for us or anyone else than the people who the were addressed to.

Private emails and conversations can damage people's relationships for life and perhaps reveal information that could be very damaging to one's image.

Its many levels of ethical wrongness above art being leaked out that was designed for public consumption. People have committed suicide over leaked private information, its just not right.

Edited by ax1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

You don’t know the songs were meant to be heard. They were never officially released so I’d imagine they weren’t meant to be heard. 

We'll Axl said were not working on all this to keep it buried. 

Just now, RussTCB said:

No, the actual content of the emails hasn't leaked. Just the list of them. 

I seem to recall reading content waaay back?  I'll take your word for it because you're far more of an authority on the subject.  Maybe I read the email titles and my brain made the rest up, or maybe I read discussions and theories of what the contents were.  Thanks :)

4 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

...but one of the emails has already leaked. Unless you don't think it's legit?

(Better Video Treatment is the one that's leaked... it's uninteresting.)

Well yeah, I meant the rest. I think that and the list of emails is all anyone has. That's just my guess though. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

...but one of the emails has already leaked. Unless you don't think it's legit?

(Better Video Treatment is the one that's leaked... it's uninteresting.)

Not only uninteresting...it’s fucking bizarre. So glad they never made that video!