2018 CD Leaks Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

13 hours ago, Sweersa said:

It is what CAFC Nick posted.

That list is from January 24, 2008.

I've had it for almost ten years.

I always believed it was real, but the locker leaks confirmed it with a number of song titles matching that were previously unheard of. (Like Perhaps and Nothin) I actually didn't even think Perhaps was a track, I thought it was in reference to an adjacent song in the list as being considered as an alt over another in the literal sense of the word "perhaps" 

Yeah, I don't think there has been any other reference to Perhaps or Nothing before the locker leaks so it would be a pretty big coincidence that they got two track titles right by chance.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Yes, but in his own work. Do you really think after a minimal input on CD, he would suddenly become a producer with Axl and Caram? And leave Slash out of it? And being so out of loop in those interviews? 

I wouldn’t put it past him to have some involvement in production, but all of this is moot if the list is BS which it most likely is.

Jeez we need something positive from Guns right now 🤞 

• GNFNR 1

17 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Yes, but in his own work. Do you really think after a minimal input on CD, he would suddenly become a producer with Axl and Caram? And leave Slash out of it? And being so out of loop in those interviews? 

He produced psychedelic furs, love spit love

Edited by Finck2006
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Finck2006 said:

He produced psychedelic furs, love spit love

He was a band member, not an employee. It's a totally different scenario with a huge band with a lot more money involved. 

I'm not saying he's not capable, he has the chops. This guy is truly a talented professional, and I really like his guitar playing. I'm just saying that it seems very odd that Axl would want him to produce this record with Slash and Duff back in the band. 

• Like 2

Have listened to the Chinese Democracy takes from the Leaks again and I know this has been discussed previously but one thing that I thought about again and it really amazes me.

Chinese Democracy (RM1) vs. Chinese Democracy (2007 first leak) - the way they nerfed the bass on this is and replaced it with weak synths is truly staggering to me. Assuming this was done as part of the infamous story of RTB making them re-record the whole thing so I can really see why Tommy hated him. Quite staggering the idea of Axl being in the studio, listening to the 2007 first leak version and thinking "Yes, that's better!". Wow.

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

3 minutes ago, CAFC Nick said:

Have listened to the Chinese Democracy takes from the Leaks again and I know this has been discussed previously but one thing that I thought about again and it really amazes me.

Chinese Democracy (RM1) vs. Chinese Democracy (2007 first leak) - the way they nerfed the bass on this is and replaced it with weak synths is truly staggering to me. Assuming this was done as part of the infamous story of RTB making them re-record the whole thing so I can really see why Tommy hated him. Quite staggering the idea of Axl being in the studio, listening to the 2007 first leak version and thinking "Yes, that's better!". Wow.

Thought the same thing... The bass in chi dem demo is badass... 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CAFC Nick said:

I don't think Axl even remembered how the CD from 2001 sounded. He was just adding shit up and making it sound bloated within time. 

But how accurate is this re-record thing RTB asked for? A lot of guitars (including leads) in the demos sounded the exact same to me in the album version, just heavily muffled in the mix.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I don't think Axl even remembered how the CD from 2001 sounded. He was just adding shit up and making it sound bloated within time. 

But how accurate is this re-record thing RTB asked for? A lot of guitars (including leads) in the demos sounded the exact same to me in the album version, just heavily muffled in the mix.

It's a good point regarding guitars (solos especially - The Blues, CD, ITW, IRS) but there are definitely changes, at least to my ears anyway, between some of the rhythms.

E.g.

- Chinese Democracy -- opening guitars are almost certainly re-recorded, much more industrial sound to the riff, plus its the original short intro. Also that bass - I haven't listened to the MOGGs so it could just be that the volume was majorly reduced.

- Rhiad -- As above, more industrial sounding rhythm. Album version had the rhythms re-recorded, i think by Ron(?), a bit more loose and "sleazy"

- IRS -- Barely listen to the version from RM1 but some of rhythm removed and replaced, very noticable.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CAFC Nick said:

It's a good point regarding guitars (solos especially - The Blues, CD, ITW, IRS) but there are definitely changes, at least to my ears anyway, between some of the rhythms.

E.g.

- Chinese Democracy -- opening guitars are almost certainly re-recorded, much more industrial sound to the riff, plus its the original short intro. Also that bass - I haven't listened to the MOGGs so it could just be that the volume was majorly reduced.

- Rhiad -- As above, more industrial sounding rhythm. Album version had the rhythms re-recorded, i think by Ron(?), a bit more loose and "sleazy"

- IRS -- Barely listen to the version from RM1 but some of rhythm removed and replaced, very noticable.

You're right in those three. But in Riad the guitars are still there, just mixed together in the left channel to give room for the new Bumblefoot layer.

IRS seems like it actually had a lot of the rhythm guitars re-recorded. But the lead (Robin's licks) in the slow part are the there. Both of his solos sound the same to me too, but the slow one was re-amped to have more gain. It's funny how the Josh Freese version have this totally different arrangement, though. Maybe when Brain re-recorded someone thought it would sound better with a different guitar approach.

On 29/04/2020 at 1:47 PM, Voodoochild said:

A lot of guitar parts were re-amped. Same part just re-recorded after being re-amped

On 4/29/2020 at 5:27 AM, bumcheecksmcghee said:

Thought the same thing... The bass in chi dem demo is badass... 

That bass is amazing. I'd rather have that than the keyboards or whatever was in the first leak from 2007, and over Bumble's leads on the album version too, though all are cool in their own way IMO, but I'd vote for the bass over it all. 

I do like the later and final intro though.

Edited by Sweersa

13 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

That bass is amazing. I'd rather have that than the keyboards or whatever was in the first leak from 2007, and over Bumble's leads on the album version too, though all are cool in their own way IMO, but I'd vote for the bass over it all. 

I do like the later and final intro though.

Caram buried Tommys bass...

1 minute ago, Amir said:

Wasn't just the title track that had great bass that got buried in the mix. TWAT and Riad had some really good bass parts, the latter especially is almost bass-driven in the demos.

I wonder if the CD2 tracks (in their final form with Duff) will have the bass mixed better.