2018 CD Leaks Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

26 minutes ago, Finck2006 said:

Cd Maddy and The Blues were so much better on lockers leak than the final product.

Only TWAT got some improvement ( the leak from 2006 w/Bucket) the best version ever

I agree, I also liked the locker If The World (minus the weird high pitched sounds) and Riad. 

I used to be baffled as to why they never kept the guitar intro to The Blues, but having heard the studio takes, it doesn't capture the same energy that it did live and thus I feel that the album version is better. I'd say the same for Madagascar, Prostitute and most definitely There Was A Time among others. 

I'd say the only ones I could argue a case for is the title track and Catcher in the Rye. The version of Chinese on RM01 is fucking ferocious. No fucking about. All killer. The demo of Catcher is one of the greatest GNR songs for me, the album version had it's testicles removed, mostly by cutting Brian Harold May and some beautiful synth from Mothergoose himself. Does not come close to the demo version. For the record, I also love the '99 version of IRS. PHT at his best. I have never enjoyed the sound of police sirens like I did in that demo!!!

57 minutes ago, Dean said:

I'd say the only ones I could argue a case for is the title track and Catcher in the Rye. The version of Chinese on RM01 is fucking ferocious. No fucking about. All killer. The demo of Catcher is one of the greatest GNR songs for me, the album version had it's testicles removed, mostly by cutting Brian Harold May and some beautiful synth from Mothergoose himself. Does not come close to the demo version. For the record, I also love the '99 version of IRS. PHT at his best. I have never enjoyed the sound of police sirens like I did in that demo!!!

I'm thankful we got a nice quality version of the '99 (or 2000) Catcher. It sounds exactly like the old leak, but with the added guitar in the intro that was also on the album version, and of course in way, way better quality. The old IRS also sounds better than the previous '99 leak, though I never really cared for that song much in general.

Like many of us have said many times, a 1999 or 2000 release of CD with the follow-up in 2002-2004 with Buckethead and Brain would have been amazing, with another album following with Ashba and Bumble (or whomever), then an additional album with the reunion lineup in or around 2016. All of that would have happened, in a perfect world. We need a dimensional traveler to get us those alt timeline albums. Haha

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

6 hours ago, Dean said:

I used to be baffled as to why they never kept the guitar intro to The Blues, but having heard the studio takes, it doesn't capture the same energy that it did live and thus I feel that the album version is better. I'd say the same for Madagascar, Prostitute and most definitely There Was A Time among others. 

I really like the final version but totally agree with this - this version is a proper punch in the face....no OTT effects and proper bass heavy too.

• GNFNR 1

7 minutes ago, The Matinator said:

Although I didn’t like it at the time I will say the finished version of SOD/The Blues is a good compromise between the various versions they came up with. The original will always be my favorite though.

The mix with the old Josh drums is my favorite. The keyboard synth or whatever it is in the background seems to be louder in that mix, you can hear it in the early live versions too. 

They are either removed, or buried too far in the mix of the album version for me to notice. 

10 hours ago, Finck2006 said:

Cd Maddy and The Blues were so much better on lockers leak than the final product.

Only TWAT got some improvement ( the leak from 2006 w/Bucket) the best version ever

Prostitute was better on final album....probably about 1/4 of the album was improved actually with the rest being better back in 2000(ish)....IMO

2 hours ago, The Matinator said:

Although I didn’t like it at the time I will say the finished version of SOD/The Blues is a good compromise between the various versions they came up with. The original will always be my favorite though.

My only issue with the final mix, beyond removing the badass guitar lick that made the song feel like an Illusions era tune, is that when you listen to the Village Session versions and come back to the final album version, the drums on the final version sound so tame and quiet in the mix overall

I was previously a fierce advocate for the village versions of the album songs, however, over time I am gradually moving to the anti/MSL leaks for my 'go to' versions.  

With saying that, when I have a spare hour, and intently listen with high quality headphones,  and want to drift off into 'fantasy and dream of what could have been', nothing beats the Josh/pre RTB versions.

• 7 months later...

There is some rumors circulating that State of grace is an early version of the General - it could make sense based on some descriptions of the General and Axls high pitched screams, I guess they could have changed a lot of the lyrics and intros etc. 

Any opinions?

2 hours ago, betterman said:

There is some rumors circulating that State of grace is an early version of the General - it could make sense based on some descriptions of the General and Axls high pitched screams, I guess they could have changed a lot of the lyrics and intros etc. 

Any opinions?

Interesting rumor. 

If I had to guess, I would say they are different songs. 

I'm not convinced State Of Grace advanced much, if at all beyond the demo we heard. I hope I'm wrong, as I think that it is a great song in need of finishing and then released officially. It would make a great album closer, with such intense vocals in the end.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, betterman said:

Any opinions?

I don't think so. the General was written by Brain and State of Grace is from Beavan sesions. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, betterman said:

Any opinions?

Bill Brasky is a troll and a liar.

35 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

State of Grace is my fav of the leaks would be gutted if we never hear a final version ... But this is GNR

Aye, I agree, it's definitely my fave too. Really like that track to be honest. Most of the other songs/ideas are fairly underwhelming to me. Though I think we are now legally obliged to say that Atlas Shrugged is possibly the greatest piece of music never released! 

21 hours ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Heard this rumour a while back it makes sense to me if you compare the vocal pattern to the cell phone recording it is similar. 

Been saying that for years too... Def can hear the same patterns from that audio phone call. Especially the "oh my love what can it be blinded by grace with me",  part. Would love to hear a final mix one day too...