2018 CD Leaks Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

10 hours ago, CAFC Nick said:

The drums on Hardschool are vastly superior compared to Hard Skool.

Anything Josh did is superior to anything any drummer who came after him did. Would have loved to hear him with them live

16 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I agree, but what is odd is they didn't leave any of Josh's parts at all. I would have expected them to keep him on at least one or two songs or in parts of others like with they did with Bucket and others who were not in the band at the time of release.

The only assumption I can make about this is that Josh (with Robin, who then returned) was the first one to leave and Axl, at that point, still believed in having an album by whichever the current line-up was, so he had Brain to re-record everything and, if I remember correctly, he was talking about re-recording most of Robin stuff as well before he returned. Then, as musicians started to come and go through revolving doors, he might have changed his mind about this, but I guess at that point Brain had already re-recorded everything as far as drums go, and that might be why he didn't consider Josh's parts again.

Of course, pure speculation, but that's the only thing I can think of.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Twinaleblood said:

The only assumption I can make about this is that Josh (with Robin, who then returned) was the first one to leave and Axl, at that point, still believed in having an album by whichever the current line-up was, so he had Brain to re-record everything and, if I remember correctly, he was talking about re-recording most of Robin stuff as well before he returned. Then, as musicians started to come and go through revolving doors, he might have changed his mind about this, but I guess at that point Brain had already re-recorded everything as far as drums go, and that might be why he didn't consider Josh's parts again.

Of course, pure speculation, but that's the only thing I can think of.

That makes a lot of sense! Great explanation/theory. 

• Like 1

My sense is that Freese's drums sound infinitely better largely because those recordings were done in a proper band situation and were fresh. If you start layering new drums on top of an existing track, which is what appears to have happened, things inevitably end up losing their feel and edge. 

Nine times out of ten I prefer listening to the early versions of the songs than what eventually ended up on Chinese Democracy - they have more energy and are more cohesive than the patchwork mess of so much of CD.

• Like 1

• janrichmond changed the title to 2018 CD Leaks Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**