2018 CD Leaks Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

I'm not a big fan of Shackler's Revenge. I think the song sucks to be honest. It was the worst song of Chinese Democracy for me. Would prefer to have had Silkworms or Oh My God on Chinese Democracy.

Scraped is ok, but to me Scraped is no better than Shotgun Blues. It's a rushed filler. You quickly forget about it and move on. It's catchy, but nothing more than that.

Riad is a great song, but needs a new solo and some lyrics instead of the "OOOOOOH OOOOOH WOOOOOOW"

Edited by Propaganda

Just now, Propaganda said:

I'm not a big fan of Shackler's Revenge. I think the song sucks to be honest. Would prefer to have had Silkworms or Oh My God on Chinese Democracy.

I like Scraped, but to me Scraped is no better than Shotgun Blues. It's a rushed filler.

Riad is a great song, but needs a new solo and some lyrics instead of the "OOOOOOH OOOOOH WOOOOOOW"

Scraped live in 2010 is what it should have been.

Shackler needs a revamp.

Rhiad is cool but I agree.

Just now, brownstone91 said:

What they need is to be stripped down and re-worked. Riad's lyrics are just terrible. Shackler is catchy as fuck

Shackler does need to be stripped a little, drums need to hit harder. Love the chorus on riad but it does feel like an unfinished song.

3 minutes ago, MrMojo said:

Shackler does need to be stripped a little, drums need to hit harder. Love the chorus on riad but it does feel like an unfinished song.

Just take the first verse, without any context and without listening to the music...

"Riad and the Bedouins

Had a plan and thought they'd win

But I don't give a fuck about them

'Cause I am crazy"

That is the worst lyric writing I think I've ever seen. It completely alienates the listener from relating to the song because it's just incoherent rambling... It reminds me of something a homeless street prophet or someone who is mentally deranged trying to talk shit to you in an altercation might say - it's just cringe-worthy coming from someone who wrote the Illusions albums.

3 minutes ago, MrMojo said:

Scraped live in 2010 is what it should have been.

Shackler needs a revamp.

Rhiad is cool but I agree.

I can't stand Shackler. Especially those clean voice takes and the guitars. I hate it. It's the worst song of Chinese Democracy for me. Oh My God would have made that album Awesome, if it was there instead of Shackler. Hey I'm being honest! I understand if other people might like it.

Let me tell you what I like about Silkworms. Although, it's a bit repetitive and it probably needed a bit of work and the old intro back, The guitars sound like The Smashing Pumpkins, a bit of the same style, as "Siva":

And so to me it sounds like a mix of Punk Rock old GNR and a new Smashing Pumpkins line of sound.

Imagine a "Down on the Farm" but with modern Smashing Pumpkins sound and parts. To me that's what Silkworms is.

Also that Acapela is amazing! I mean who could have thought of putting that part in the middle of the song. Totally mysterious, totally unexpected, and it sounds great!

If you're hearing Silkworms for the first time, and you haven't checked all those Live versions we had before from RIO, you're gonna be surprised!

I think it's a great song, and a great creative effort. I hope Axl has done more songs like this and they eventually come out.

• Like 1

Just now, brownstone91 said:

I don't think anyone actually "waited" 17 years for this...

Well, I waited for five long years, actually.  Specially for Silkworms. 

It's a long story, involving the old chorus, and Guess what?! the version with that didn't leaked. Technically, i'm still waiting.

ISN'T THAT ABSURD?

5 minutes ago, NeonKinight said:

Well, I waited for five long years, actually.  Specially for Silkworms. 

It's a long story, involving the old chorus, and Guess what?! the version with that didn't leaked. Technically, i'm still waiting.

ISN'T THAT ABSURD?

The fact that you're waiting for something that was never promised to you is absurd, yes...

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I'll start by saying I love OMG. 

However, you might be on to something with the My World / Silkworms thing! 

Silkworms is a hundred times better than My World. Just saying, :P

2 hours ago, brownstone91 said:

The fact that people are so intrigued by it makes me wonder what they typically think is great music...

I think Oh My God is a decent song and I love Josh Freese's drumming on it. When it first came out I hated it because it wasn't the GNR I grew up on, but as I got older I realized that if they had released an album in 1999 with that caliber of material it would have sold better than Chinese Democracy.

People have different opinions. I for one quite enjoy Silkworms. I prefer the live version from 2001 to the studio track that leaked, but I do enjoy both.

Just because you do not enjoy something, doesn't mean others can't.

Myself personally would rather listen to Silkworms over Get In The Ring. 

Bottom line, to each their own.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, F*ck Fear said:

Silkworms is a hundred times better than My World. Just saying, :P

People have different opinions. I for one quite enjoy Silkworms. I prefer the live version from 2001 to the studio track that leaked, but I do enjoy both.

Just because you do not enjoy something, doesn't mean others can't.

Myself personally would rather listen to Silkworms over Get In The Ring. 

Bottom line, to each their own.

In my personal opinion, a song verse that starts with "Listen motherfuckers to this song that should be heard" and ends with "pussy full of maggots" is probably not a song that should be heard because its drowning in substituting shock value for musical creativity

As I've previously stated earlier in this thread, not every song needs to have meaningful/deep lyrics to be good. It's more about the atmosphere of the song.

Shock value over musical creativity? I again bring up Get In The Ring. I'll also add Shotgun Blues.

But I totally understand why some people do not like it.

Apples/Oranges my friend.

Just now, F*ck Fear said:

As I've previously stated earlier in this thread, not every song needs to have meaningful/deep lyrics to be good. It's more about the atmosphere of the song.

Shock value over musical creativity? I again bring up Get In The Ring. I'll also add Shotgun Blues.

But I totally understand why some people do not like it.

Apples/Oranges my friend.

You're free to like it... by all means... have fun with that. Get in the Ring had a meaning behind it - it was directed at the media and Slash's lead parts soften the lyrics to make it catchy. Shotgun Blues at least sounds like a Guns N Roses song. Silkworms is a pure piece of shit that you can tell was written by Dizzy and Chris Pitman, who've never actually written anything close to a hit...

3 hours ago, Propaganda said:

Oh My God would have made that album Awesome, if it was there instead of Shackler. Hey I'm being honest! I understand if other people might like it..

Believe me, today there'd be people saying things like "oh my god iz not zu gut, chicken dinner would fit in a sehr besser way, what the fudge is zis reggae part, zis is not guns n rozis, ziz iz axl with friends......" 
Besides that, Silkworms sounds A LOT like the prodigy 

Edited by NeonKinight

2 hours ago, bumcheecksmcghee said:

bahaha... lay off the crack pipe ?? better>shadow of your love ...

On second listen, the Better remix with DJ Ashba is pretty good and his rework of the guitar parts make it sound less robotic and crunchy - Ashba's version gives it more bite and commercial appeal. I think that version should've been on the album had Ashba been in the band a year or two sooner.

8 hours ago, brownstone91 said:

I think we can all agree that the studio version of Shadow of Your Love is better than every song on Chinese Democracy.

I disagree. I think shadow is a, albeit well produced, pretty average b-side at best. I think the verse is ok, but the chorus does nothing for me. I think it pales in comparison with nice boys, reckless life or move to the city.

Chinese Democracy is a masterpiece. I would much rather have more CD-material, remixes etc. rather than appetite leftovers. When the reunion started I feared they would ignore CD and release a generic Appetite 2 rock album. Thankfully, that did not happen :-)

Edited by Thorbear

3 minutes ago, Thorbear said:

I disagree. I think shadow is a, albeit well produced, pretty average b-side at best. I think the verse is ok, but the chorus does nothing for me. I think it pales in comparison with nice boys, reckless life or move to the city.

Chinese Democracy is a masterpiece. I would much rather have more CD-material, remixes etc. rather than appetite leftovers. When the reunion started I feared they would ignore CD and release a generic Appetite 2 rock album. Thankfully, that did not happen :-)

You misunderstood my comment and then compared the song to songs off of GNR Lies. Chinese Democracy is not a masterpiece - it's a melting pot of re-worked and re-hashed B-sides in and of itself.

9 hours ago, brownstone91 said:

I think we can all agree that the studio version of Shadow of Your Love is better than every song on Chinese Democracy.

Chinese Democracy contains some of the best tracks in the whole GnR catalogue. You're nuts.