2018 CD Leaks Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

5 minutes ago, Jordan Rose said:

Can we all here at MYGNR just take a moment to reflect upon and enjoy the thought that those two insufferable shitheads Slowmo and Walker are probably losing their tiny minds right now because the common folk are getting to enjoy all this stuff :D

Yasssssssssssssssssss. 

• GNFNR 1

6 minutes ago, Jordan Rose said:

How fucking sad is it that Axl sat at a piano with Ashba ten years ago playing and singing songs he'd recorded ten years earlier and we're here ten years later still waiting to hear them. And there's as good as Hard School.

If this record had come out in 1999 and been toured and a follow up with Bucket in 2002.....they wouldn't have needed to play all of Appetite every night and would have made a whole new generation of fans. If you think back to what the musical landscape was....Baby One More Time and Limp Biscuits.....this would have cut so hard through everything. 

I really don't think it would've made as big a splash among a younger generation to be honest, and even by then expectations where unreasonably high for this album among critics and older fans. But with proper promotion, proper videos (not released years after the song is out at least...), etc., it would've  still been an event, I'm sure. And if a followed up had appeared sooner than later, yeah, it would've been a COMPLETELY different story for the band. Sp. compared to CD's blip on the radar release in 2008.

But in retrospect, I just don't think Axl was ready or, deep down, willing. If anything, this proves it - the album WAS there already, in essence.  Just like there's apparently been enough material for a follow-up, or enough to make a follow-up feasable, for the last 11 years. Oh well...

Hopefully soon we'll get to hear Yokashima Arsehole after all this years in some form at least.

Heard Hardschool all the way through last night about 3 or 4 times and I thought it was terrible. Pretty weak all the way through and the solos are basically dodgy noodling. Intro was pretty bland. 

I need to lower my expectations 

2 minutes ago, El Nono Pololo said:

I really don't think it would've made as big a splash among a younger generation to be honest, and even by then expectations where unreasonably high for this album among critics and older fans. But with proper promotion, proper videos (not released years after the song is out at least...), etc., it would've  still been an event, I'm sure. And if a followed up had appeared sooner than later, yeah, it would've been a COMPLETELY different story for the band. Sp. compared to CD's blip on the radar release in 2008.

But in retrospect, I just don't think Axl was ready or, deep down, willing. If anything, this proves it - the album WAS there already, in essence.  Just like there's apparently been enough material for a follow-up, or enough to make a follow-up feasable, for the last 11 years. Oh well...

It would have been coming on the heels of the VMA show and....that was such a public disaster that Axl was already poised to be public punching bag of the year.

I totally, totally think the album should have come out at the turn of the century, one way or the other - but its clear to me that while the album would have had a MUCH higher profile, that would have come at the expense of Axl being looked at, for all the wrong reasons.

Finally have the time to listen those '99 "sessions"... if CD was released in 1999/2000 then I guess it wouldn't sound so outdated as in 2008. I mean, in all those years a bunch of other bands had released their stuff with similar ("post-rock-era") sound.

2 minutes ago, appetite4illusions said:

It would have been coming on the heels of the VMA show and....that was such a public disaster that Axl was already poised to be public punching bag of the year.

I totally, totally think the album should have come out at the turn of the century, one way or the other - but its clear to me that while the album would have had a MUCH higher profile, that would have come at the expense of Axl being looked at, for all the wrong reasons.

To be fair, I was responding to Jordan Rose, who did say "If this record had come out in 1999 and been toured and a follow up with Bucket in 2002..."

If that had been the case, the whole 2002 VMA disaster would've been averted (probably).

Did the band even write any tracks after 1999 that weren't included on the final album?

If this 15-disc set leaks then Axl's vault of unreleased tracks is pretty much empty

A deserved end to Team Brazil's years of endless bullshit

Edited by TheSeeker
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

5 minutes ago, El Nono Pololo said:

To be fair, I was responding to Jordan Rose, who did say "If this record had come out in 1999 and been toured and a follow up with Bucket in 2002..."

If that had been the case, the whole 2002 VMA disaster would've been averted (probably).

I just have this fantasy that was once a belief in the future.....if the friggin drummer from Nirvana can get himself over as one of the biggest and most loved rock bands and frontmen on the planet then Axl Rose with the ridiculous amount of talent he had around him bloody well should have made himself bigger than ever. I keep having weird moments because it's 2019, i'm nearly 40 and i'm STILL on MYGNR talking about leaks of songs Axl told Rolling Stone about when I was SIXTEEN in 1999. For fuck's sake. 

If in a few day's time we have all the unreleased songs from the 15 CDs with vocals it's gonna be a really weird feeling.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

Did the band even write any tracks after 1999 that weren't included on the final album?

If this 15-disc set leaks then Axl's vault of unreleased tracks is pretty much empty

A deserved end to Team Brazil's endless years of bullshit

The general I guess

9 minutes ago, appetite4illusions said:

The VMA performance wasn’t necessarily the public disaster it’s thought to be here. It was the riot in Philly/canceled tour that put a nail in the coffin for a lot of mainstream fans. Then throw the end of 2006 on top of it and the trust was gone 

Success can be defined in multiple ways. Albums sales can be one, but for me I wouldn’t look at it in that regard. If people who were into something such as OK Computer era Radiohead thought this record was good, that holds more weight for the era. If it started to pop up with people’s favorite albums of that time period years later, that matters more. The sound they were going for is right up that alley in the late 90’s. Sure it’s not “GNR” soundwise in a lot of ways, but I do think it would have hit a nerve with some and have been influential down the line. That to me matters more than units sold and beating Nelly in the charts 

Sonically they were on to something before they added the guitar layer after layer

Right I have to go to the pub, and knowing my luck after last night everything will leak and ill miss it all. 

Ill check when I get back, if I'm able to function.