2018 CD Leaks Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

6 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Thanks. I think this came from the GNR Central interview, right? https://gnrcentral.com/2019/01/19/guns-n-roses-central-interview-chinese-democracy-engineer-interview-dave-dominguez/

I can see this being something worked on for years. Robin brought it in 1998, but it was nothing more than the verses chord progression and maybe the main riff. Then in 2002, when Richard came on board, he added the small bridge and chorus. That was when Bucket also worked on his lead guitar. But then Axl only went back to record his vocals by 2003/04.

Yes that's the interview

3 hours ago, Edward Nygma said:

Anybody expect any of the recent leaks to be featured on the next official album release?

Probably. I have a theory that Chinese democracy was a radically different album and Axl just said fuck it and put the majority of tracks heard via leaks on it as a fuck you.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JMDSNCCP said:

Probably. I have a theory that Chinese democracy was a radically different album and Axl just said fuck it and put the majority of tracks heard via leaks on it as a fuck you.

Yeah I feel like they’d wanna get final versions of Hardschool, Atlas, and The General out now, to “bury” the demos that have leaked. Maybe Silkworms too (assuming Slash and Duff are willing to embarrass themselves enough by being associated with that song). No point in doing anything else with Going Down now tho since Tommy is gone and that was his song more than anything else.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

I’m guessing the band chose to leave Hardschool off ChiDem in 2008 cause they figured the 16-second clip that leaked in 2006 wasn’t “damaging” enough to compromise the “surprise” of the full song, whereas the rest of the leaks from that time were way more revealing.

same could be said about Silkworms. The updated version of the song (which Axl talked about in 2008) is so different from the live version from 2001 that it’s basically a completely different song, so no need to put it on the album cause nothing substantial had really been spoiled with that song yet (at that point, at least).

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

I’m guessing the band chose to leave Hardschool off ChiDem in 2008 cause they figured the 16-second clip that leaked in 2006 wasn’t “damaging” enough to compromise to “surprise” of the full song, whereas the rest of the leaks from that time were way more revealing.

but instead they chose Scraped :wacko:

1 hour ago, RedHook said:

I think one of the problems with releasing new Guns N Roses material is that the band did not release many albums to begin with.

I think this makes it important that each release has to be amazing, anything else will just water down the bands legacy.

I agree and at the same time, it's a shame that this band relies so much on its classic and older material. I get the fans who buy tickets want to hear the classics but at the same time that just seems like its a nostalgia feel to the shows. I want new songs and show the band want to add to the catalog, these guys have a chance now to better the catalog of songs by creating two, three, four albums and increase the amount of music in GNR. 

• GNFNR 1

21 minutes ago, Edward Nygma said:

I agree and at the same time, it's a shame that this band relies so much on its classic and older material. I get the fans who buy tickets want to hear the classics but at the same time that just seems like its a nostalgia feel to the shows. I want new songs and show the band want to add to the catalog, these guys have a chance now to better the catalog of songs by creating two, three, four albums and increase the amount of music in GNR. 

Speaking of relying on older material, I wonder if that new rumor is true that there will be like four or five new studio songs lumped with an NITL live album at the end of this year. Would sorta fit with the “EP at the end of the year” rumor from earlier. If that ends up being true, it would mean that the band and/or label feels more comfortable releasing this new stuff alongside Jungle, Sweet Child, and Paradise City.

• Like 1

Something I haven't seen anyone mention yet in regards to this new version of Catcher; the guitar part over the intro on the album is present in this version, but was notably absent from the 2006 leak. Leaves me wondering when these two versions of Catcher date back to in relation to one another. Additionally I thought the consensus was that Bumblefoot had played this guitar part, but apparently not. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

Something I haven't seen anyone mention yet in regards to this new version of Catcher; the guitar part over the intro on the album is present in this version, but was notably absent from the 2006 leak. Leaves me wondering when these two versions of Catcher date back to in relation to one another. Additionally I thought the consensus was that Bumblefoot had played this guitar part, but apparently not. 

Wow, I was just about to post this. The right channel guitar is the same as in the album, but different from the 2006 leak (also with Brian May). Robin's guitar is in the left channel in that one, and in the right channel in the new one, which leds me to believe that this guitar in particular is Robin's.

Edited by Voodoochild
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jimisbatman said:

Do we know what art work was intended for the 2000/2001 release?

I seem to remember reading that at the Hong Kong show in 2002 they put the album artwork up on the screens during Chinese Democracy, and that it was a picture of a bicycle. So I'm not sure if it's the same as the final artwork, but it sounds like it was more or less the same concept. 

22 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

I seem to remember reading that at the Hong Kong show in 2002 they put the album artwork up on the screens during Chinese Democracy, and that it was a picture of a bicycle. So I'm not sure if it's the same as the final artwork, but it sounds like it was more or less the same concept. 

It was the same cover, but it was in black and white I think? The colours were somehow different but it was the same bicycle picture, from what I've read.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

40 minutes ago, jimisbatman said:

Do we know what art work was intended for the 2000/2001 release?

Before the bicycle photo was taken at Hong Kong 2002? Probably this (first image of the article):

http://chinesedemocracysoon.blogspot.com/2007/05/chinese-democracy-album-timeline.html?m=1

Edited by rocknroll41

Can anyone tell me how these 99 versions line up to when Moby said Axl was like and beaten dog and wouldnt sing and also when Robin first left saying he didnt want to work on unnamed song 3657 version 1012 anymore, or something to that regard?

Cheers ;)

46 minutes ago, Olorin said:

Can anyone tell me how these 99 versions line up to when Moby said Axl was like and beaten dog and wouldnt sing and also when Robin first left saying he didnt want to work on unnamed song 3657 version 1012 anymore, or something to that regard?

Cheers ;)

Moby was brought in during 1997. Axl only recorded vocals starting in 1998. By the time robin left in 1999 there was probably about one album worth of songs with vocals and then like one or two other albums worth of instrumentals. Robin specifically said “I was tired of working on songs that had names like Instrumental 34.” A lot of these songs with silly working titles like Curly Shuffle and D-Tune or whatever probably only got those placeholder names when the discs themselves were made in late 2000/ early 2001.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Olorin said:

Ok thanks sir. Funny how he was described as a "beaten dog" then ripped out pretty much all of CD a year or 2 later, something doesnt add up to those early reports and how these 99 vocals ended up on the 2008 release. 

What doesn't add up though? Axl had a case of writer's block (or a dry spell, or depression, or whatnot) for a long while until 98/99, when he apparently snapped out of it and got a lot of work done in a relatively short amount of time. Just not enough done to avoid people like Robin or Josh becoming frustrated or unsure about the project eventually.

As regards the vocals on the 2008, it seems after 1999 they (whoever "they" might be: RTB, the execs, eventually Axl himself, whatever) thought lot of CD's tracks had to be re-recorded multiple times... except for Axl's own takes. He probably did additional choruses and stuff here and there (like his backing vocals on Going Down), and possibly kept working on new songs/reworked songs (like Better), but all points to him being satisfied with what he had laid down in 99.

3 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Before the bicycle photo was taken at Hong Kong 2002? Probably this (first image of the article):

http://chinesedemocracysoon.blogspot.com/2007/05/chinese-democracy-album-timeline.html?m=1

wrote:

I’d love to see all the official album covers....maybe if we ever get all the unreleased crap we get the artwork too

Edited by Stoymatic
Pic wouldn’t post

On 29/08/2019 at 3:56 PM, BucketFinckFortus said:

Maybe Perhaps, the other one supposed to have Brian in it

On 29/08/2019 at 3:53 PM, ZoSoRose said:

I think its clear any other all "new" songs sans Atlas and AfD99 are unfortunatly off the table at this point... At least for a long time.

So, Id like 1999 Silkworms and Atlas at this point tonight. The rumored 1999 Shacklers would be killer too. Was there a 99 Better?

Thatd pretty much be the entire 1999 album.

Two things, didnt know Shacklers was that old, and what is the earliest Better version we have?

4 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

Wow, didnt know that.  What was the picture of Asian man tying a head scaff around his forehead?

4 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

That's the image I was thinking of, thanks

11 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

The earliest version of Better is from the early 2006 demo. Probably from the Piazza disc, which could be dated to 2014 or 2013-ish?

No in 2005 a instrumental version of better leaked I can remember because an instrumental version of twat also leaked from the same source 

Josh's drumming on TWAT is awesome. There's a "modern" UYI feel to it. He's got Matt's "human drum machine" quality but with more groove.

Brain is one of my favourite drummers but Josh sounds great on these demos. And these demos sound good overall - CD, The Blues, TWAT, Hardschool, Catcher, and Prostitute (3) should've been mixed and released asap with OMG and whatever else.

1 hour ago, Declan Burke 1994 said:

No in 2005 a instrumental version of better leaked I can remember because an instrumental version of twat also leaked from the same source 

I have a short and long version. Short is 6:01 long is 6:43 both dated 17/02/2006. Then instrumental long and short dated march 15th. March 27th 2006 the razz version. MSL leak from may 2007. Antiquiet version from June 18th 2008. One labeled 2001 leak dated June 10th 2008 and then the new one from Thursday which is a better quality of the razz?

5 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Josh's drumming on TWAT is awesome. There's a "modern" UYI feel to it. He's got Matt's "human drum machine" quality but with more groove.

Brain is one of my favourite drummers but Josh sounds great on these demos. And these demos sound good overall - CD, The Blues, TWAT, Hardschool, Catcher, and Prostitute (3) should've been mixed and released asap with OMG and whatever else.

I prefer version 2 of Prostitute myself

• Like 2