Jump to content

CD Leaks Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**


Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, Olorin said:

Ok thanks sir. Funny how he was described as a "beaten dog" then ripped out pretty much all of CD a year or 2 later, something doesnt add up to those early reports and how these 99 vocals ended up on the 2008 release. 

What doesn't add up though? Axl had a case of writer's block (or a dry spell, or depression, or whatnot) for a long while until 98/99, when he apparently snapped out of it and got a lot of work done in a relatively short amount of time. Just not enough done to avoid people like Robin or Josh becoming frustrated or unsure about the project eventually.

As regards the vocals on the 2008, it seems after 1999 they (whoever "they" might be: RTB, the execs, eventually Axl himself, whatever) thought lot of CD's tracks had to be re-recorded multiple times... except for Axl's own takes. He probably did additional choruses and stuff here and there (like his backing vocals on Going Down), and possibly kept working on new songs/reworked songs (like Better), but all points to him being satisfied with what he had laid down in 99.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let's just make this clear. We will not allow any discussion relating to any correspondence that was intended to be private.  This is none of our business and just as we would want others to resp

Even though the content of the storage locker wasn't intended to be released by its creator, I'm glad I got to hear it. It's music. But private e-mails are another story. As much as curious I am

Posted Images

3 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Before the bicycle photo was taken at Hong Kong 2002? Probably this (first image of the article):

http://chinesedemocracysoon.blogspot.com/2007/05/chinese-democracy-album-timeline.html?m=1

wrote:

I’d love to see all the official album covers....maybe if we ever get all the unreleased crap we get the artwork too

Edited by Stoymatic
Pic wouldn’t post
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/08/2019 at 3:56 PM, BucketFinckFortus said:

Maybe Perhaps, the other one supposed to have Brian in it

 

On 29/08/2019 at 3:53 PM, ZoSoRose said:

I think its clear any other all "new" songs sans Atlas and AfD99 are unfortunatly off the table at this point... At least for a long time.

So, Id like 1999 Silkworms and Atlas at this point tonight. The rumored 1999 Shacklers would be killer too. Was there a 99 Better?

Thatd pretty much be the entire 1999 album.

Two things, didnt know Shacklers was that old, and what is the earliest Better version we have?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

I seem to remember reading that at the Hong Kong show in 2002 they put the album artwork up on the screens during Chinese Democracy, and that it was a picture of a bicycle. So I'm not sure if it's the same as the final artwork, but it sounds like it was more or less the same concept. 

Wow, didnt know that.  What was the picture of Asian man tying a head scaff around his forehead?

4 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Before the bicycle photo was taken at Hong Kong 2002? Probably this (first image of the article):

http://chinesedemocracysoon.blogspot.com/2007/05/chinese-democracy-album-timeline.html?m=1

That's the image I was thinking of, thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

Josh's drumming on TWAT is awesome. There's a "modern" UYI feel to it. He's got Matt's "human drum machine" quality but with more groove.

Brain is one of my favourite drummers but Josh sounds great on these demos. And these demos sound good overall - CD, The Blues, TWAT, Hardschool, Catcher, and Prostitute (3) should've been mixed and released asap with OMG and whatever else.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Declan Burke 1994 said:

No in 2005 a instrumental version of better leaked I can remember because an instrumental version of twat also leaked from the same source 

I have a short and long version. Short is 6:01 long is 6:43 both dated 17/02/2006. Then instrumental long and short dated march 15th. March 27th 2006 the razz version. MSL leak from may 2007. Antiquiet version from June 18th 2008. One labeled 2001 leak dated June 10th 2008 and then the new one from Thursday which is a better quality of the razz?

5 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Josh's drumming on TWAT is awesome. There's a "modern" UYI feel to it. He's got Matt's "human drum machine" quality but with more groove.

Brain is one of my favourite drummers but Josh sounds great on these demos. And these demos sound good overall - CD, The Blues, TWAT, Hardschool, Catcher, and Prostitute (3) should've been mixed and released asap with OMG and whatever else.

I prefer version 2 of Prostitute myself

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, lightBLASTER said:

The Josh version of CD might be my favorite thing that I've heard from that era of the band. It's really a shame that things didn't work out. Imagine if we'd have gotten 3-4 albums of material with that lineup and Buckethead.

It's so. fucking. good. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Declan Burke 1994 said:

No in 2005 a instrumental version of better leaked I can remember because an instrumental version of twat also leaked from the same source 

Nope. Better was 1st mentioned by Axl himself in his Rolling Stone short interview in that Korn party in early 2006. I guess a week after, Better leaked - first in snippets longer and longer, and then the full song and its instrumental version. TWAT and IRS leaked at that same time. 

What we had back in 2005 was nothing more than the shitty IRS from the Eddie Trunk radio show.

38 minutes ago, Pskihq92 said:

I have a short and long version. Short is 6:01 long is 6:43 both dated 17/02/2006. Then instrumental long and short dated march 15th. March 27th 2006 the razz version. MSL leak from may 2007. Antiquiet version from June 18th 2008. One labeled 2001 leak dated June 10th 2008 and then the new one from Thursday which is a better quality of the razz?

You mean TWAT, right? Yeah, it leaked back then, obviously before the Hammerstein gigs, in May 2006. This one labeled 2001 I believe you meant June 2018, right?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow this version of Riad flows a lot better and sounds like, you know, an actual song! Da fuck happened?

EDIT: upon further listens, the final version might actually be better, now that I think about it, but nonetheless, I really like the “unfiltered” vocals in this version.

Edited by rocknroll41
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/08/2019 at 4:18 PM, WhazUp said:

I personally prefer the old-GNR-esque heavy start to The Blues!  And never was fond of Ron's solo on Riad, and like the beefed up CD from this leak more than the final version

Different strokes for different folks for sure, but these songs groove way way harder with the drums higher in the mix, the guitars beefed up, and the layers not existing yet

Totally agree, was thinking the same way 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

10 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

I seem to remember reading that at the Hong Kong show in 2002 they put the album artwork up on the screens during Chinese Democracy, and that it was a picture of a bicycle. So I'm not sure if it's the same as the final artwork, but it sounds like it was more or less the same concept. 

Resultado de imagen para chinese democracy bicycle

 

 

I remember this artwork showing up before the release. It's seems fan made, but it's very accurate with the concept

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've listened to the official release again just cause it's been a while since I have and wanted to see how it stacks up against the new leaks.

First thing I've noticed is I still love the album but compared to these it lost it's balls somewhere. Chinese with Josh sounds so fuckin' mean and in your face with Tommy's bass playing a vital role when it's not buried under the added guitars. Thing is I love those guitars and especially Bucket's added solo after Robin and leads throughout the song. I like both versions.

Tommy's bass parts are great in all of the tunes. Mixed way too low. Damn shame. There Was A Time ain't worth a shit without Bucket's outro, Pitman was great, Catcher was overcooked and lost it's original feel. I still like the final version but it just pales in comparison to the leak imo.

Prostitute sounds nice here but Bucket's solos added a lot to the tune. Riad probably rocks the hardest here. Studio version is very fussy, lacks the punch it's got here and the intro detracts from the tune cause it's a "get to the point" song imo but I like both versions.

The Blues is a great song no matter what you do to it. Axl tinkered a lot with it but I prefer the official version with the orchestration and especially Bucket's outro but Pitman's synts are really cool in the leak.

Never liked Going Down. Here it's much better, I like it now but I miss Axl's backing vocals on it.

I guess you can't have it all. You can't take a song, a good song, and force on it every good idea for a decade without losing sight of what it was you wanted to communicate musically in the first place.

I think there is a chance that what Axl wanted the album to be changed a lot cause it's what the album sounds like to me: layers and layers of more ideas added to the same songs maybe in hope to improve until it's the best it could possibly be when perhaps the better approach for Axl would have been to work on his ability to let go and know when it's done. It's like knowing when to stop talking after you've already expressed yourself as best as you could in that moment. I don't think he learned this lesson even now.

 

Edited by Rovim
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

You mean TWAT, right? Yeah, it leaked back then, obviously before the Hammerstein gigs, in May 2006. This one labeled 2001 I believe you meant June 2018, right?

Yes,oops. I have a few different versions of Better too though.. none of which are from 2005. It was released June 10th 2008 and the title says " 2001 demo".

 

For Better:

Darknemus leak Feb 2006

Instrumental from March 2006

One from Feb 2007 that says" probably the same as HD" in the title

June 18th 2008 Antiquiet

 

Then the BBF and DJ versions

 

Edited by Pskihq92
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pskihq92 said:

Yes,oops. I have a few different versions of Better too though.. none of which are from 2005. It was released June 10th 2008 and the title says " 2001 demo".

 

For Better:

Darknemus leak Feb 2006

Instrumental from March 2006

One from Feb 2007 that says" probably the same as HD" in the title

June 18th 2008 Antiquiet

 

Then the BBF and DJ versions

 

There was no full songs studio quality leak before 2006. My memory is not so great anymore, but I remember too well how everything exploded in 2006. 

The only thing that came out before that was that IRS shitty recording from the Trunk show and the snippets of Chinese Democracy, The Blues and Madagascar in the 2002 NA Tour promo (which I still remember how A LOT of people said it wasn't studio recordings). 

The Feb 2006 Better demo is probably from Mike Piazza/Eddie Trunk CD with three songs on it - IRS, TWAT and Better. 

The Feb 2007 Better seems like the same as used in the Harley-Davidson black sheep ad in late 2006.

The 2008 Antiquiet leak seems similar to the HD ad, but I'm not sure and I don't have those anymore. All the Antiquiet leaks IMO are from the batch that Andy Wallace mixed in 2006.

BBF (accoustic) and DJ (shitty) version of Better leaked in 2012? I can't remember, I really had no interest in those tracks. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

There was no full songs studio quality leak before 2006. My memory is not so great anymore, but I remember too well how everything exploded in 2006. 

The only thing that came out before that was that IRS shitty recording from the Trunk show and the snippets of Chinese Democracy, The Blues and Madagascar in the 2002 NA Tour promo (which I still remember how A LOT of people said it wasn't studio recordings). 

The Feb 2006 Better demo is probably from Mike Piazza/Eddie Trunk CD with three songs on it - IRS, TWAT and Better. 

The Feb 2007 Better seems like the same as used in the Harley-Davidson black sheep ad in late 2006.

The 2008 Antiquiet leak seems similar to the HD ad, but I'm not sure and I don't have those anymore. All the Antiquiet leaks IMO are from the batch that Andy Wallace mixed in 2006.

BBF (accoustic) and DJ (shitty) version of Better leaked in 2012? I can't remember, I really had no interest in those tracks. 

2013 - same time as Blood In The Water and Going Down, along with the 15 second clips of the remixes, Ballad Of Death, Mi Amor, etc. 

The one I can't remember when it originally leaked is Better Gone. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

2013 - same time as Blood In The Water and Going Down, along with the 15 second clips of the remixes, Ballad Of Death, Mi Amor, etc. 

The one I can't remember when it originally leaked is Better Gone. 

I kinda erased Better Gone, Ballad of Death and Mi Amor from my memory haha

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to all the leaks we had before the album, plus last year’s massive wave of leaks and now this year’s massive wave of leaks, I now have three personal “bootleg” versions of ChiDem:

Chinese Democracy - Demos (2008, uses the red hand cover)

1.Chinese Democracy (MSL) 2.Better (MSL) 3.There Was a Time (MSL - Long Version) 4.Madagascar (MSL) 5.Street of Dreams (MSL) 6.If the World (Antiquiet) 7.IRS (1999) 8.Catcher in the Rye (1999) 9.Riad N’ the Bedouins (Antiquiet) 10.Prostitute (Antiquiet) 11.There Was a Time (Antiquiet)

Chinese Democracy - Remixes & More (2018, uses the grenade cover)

1.Mi Amor 2.Better (Acoustic) 3.If the World (Brain Remix) 4.Shackler’s Revenge (Brain Remix) 5.This I Love (Brain Remix) 6.Prostitute (Brain Remix) 7.La Bella Vita 8.Street of Dreams (2001) 9.Oh My God (Bumblefoot Remix) 10.The General (Evader Remix) 11.Going Down 12.Silkworms 13.Better (DJ Ashba Remix) 14.The Ballad of Death

2000 Intentions (2019, uses the HOB2001 flyer art)

1.Chinese Democracy (w/ Freese) 2.Hardschool 3.IRS (2000) 4.Catcher in the Rye (2000) 5.Oh My God 6.There Was a Time (2000) 7.Silkworms (Evader Remix) 8.Street of Dreams (2000) 9.Riad N’ the Bedouins (2000) 10.Going Down (2000) 11.Chinese Democracy (w/ Brain) 12.Prostitute (Version 2)

has anyone else made similar personal bootlegs from all of these?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...