2018 CD Leaks Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

11 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Earlier in this thread we were talking about how the leaks from 2003-2008 probably influenced the final tracklist of the 2008 album.

another piece to the puzzle is this alleged back cover that leaked in 2006: BACKCOVER-GNR3.jpg

everyone thought it was fake at the time, but it had almost the exact same back cover format that ended up on the final album, and pre-dates the Antiquiet leaks of Riad and Prostitute (both missing here). Plus, it lines up with Axl’s claim from around that same time that the record would only have 13 songs, as well as Dizzy’s claim from also that same time that Riad wouldn’t be on the record. I think this screenshot also predates the first ever Catcher leak (again missing here), and lines up with Bumble’s claim that Atlas was almost on the album. Also, why else would the band be using a sample from The General as their tour intro around that time unless it was for a reason?

Assuming the rumor of an EP at the end of this year ends up being true, it’d be interesting if the songs on it end up being The General, Atlas, Thyme, Ides of March, and Seven.

In other words, the band now with Slash and Duff will record some old stuff from CD era. I'm curious how that is gonna work with the new lineup.... If it happens!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vini the saint said:

In other words, the band now with Slash and Duff will record some old stuff from CD era. I'm curious how that is gonna work with the new lineup.... If it happens!

I would think it’d be simple. Slash replaces Robin/ Buckethead/ Bumblefoot/ Brian May. Richard replaces Tobias. Duff replaces Tommy. Melissa replaces Chris.

Brain is the only one I can’t see being replaced by Frank, unless it’s like for a song or two, like how Frank replaced him on just 3 songs for the album in 2008 (title track, Better, and If the World).

Edited by rocknroll41

30 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Earlier in this thread we were talking about how the leaks from 2003-2008 probably influenced the final tracklist of the 2008 album.

another piece to the puzzle is this alleged back cover that leaked in 2006: BACKCOVER-GNR3.jpg

everyone thought it was fake at the time, but it had almost the exact same back cover format that ended up on the final album, and pre-dates the Antiquiet leaks of Riad and Prostitute (both missing here). Plus, it lines up with Axl’s claim from around that same time that the record would only have 13 songs, as well as Dizzy’s claim from also that same time that Riad wouldn’t be on the record. I think this screenshot also predates the first ever Catcher leak (again missing here), and lines up with Bumble’s claim that Atlas was almost on the album. Also, why else would the band be using a sample from The General as their tour intro around that time unless it was for a reason?

Assuming the rumor of an EP at the end of this year ends up being true, it’d be interesting if the songs on it end up being The General, Atlas, Thyme, Ides of March, and Seven.

Sounds like fake if we look at the info we have now. Thyme seems to be a intro to PRL and PRL surely isnt TWAT. 

Edited by default_
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Huh, never saw that before. Before I read your description even I said "holy shit, that's identical to the actual back cover for the final album". Same font, same color scheme, everything. Pairing that with the discussion we've been having in this thread about the 2002 album artwork being the same or almost identical to the final release, it's really amazing how all this stuff was in place for so long before the album came out. If that tracklist truly dates 2006, I don't see any scenario where that isn't legit.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, default_ said:

Sounds like fake if we look at the info we have now. Thyme seems to be a intro to PRL and PRL surely isnt TWAT. 

Maybe at one point Axl considered using it as a TWAT intro instead? Not trying to debunk you, cause I actually think now that you might be right and that this is fake. Just figured I’d play devil’s advocate.

15 hours ago, Rovim said:

I've listened to the official release again just cause it's been a while since I have and wanted to see how it stacks up against the new leaks.

First thing I've noticed is I still love the album but compared to these it lost it's balls somewhere. Chinese with Josh sounds so fuckin' mean and in your face with Tommy's bass playing a vital role when it's not buried under the added guitars. Thing is I love those guitars and especially Bucket's added solo after Robin and leads throughout the song. I like both versions.

Tommy's bass parts are great in all of the tunes. Mixed way too low. Damn shame. There Was A Time ain't worth a shit without Bucket's outro, Pitman was great, Catcher was overcooked and lost it's original feel. I still like the final version but it just pales in comparison to the leak imo.

Prostitute sounds nice here but Bucket's solos added a lot to the tune. Riad probably rocks the hardest here. Studio version is very fussy, lacks the punch it's got here and the intro detracts from the tune cause it's a "get to the point" song imo but I like both versions.

The Blues is a great song no matter what you do to it. Axl tinkered a lot with it but I prefer the official version with the orchestration and especially Bucket's outro but Pitman's synts are really cool in the leak.

Never liked Going Down. Here it's much better, I like it now but I miss Axl's backing vocals on it.

I guess you can't have it all. You can't take a song, a good song, and force on it every good idea for a decade without losing sight of what it was you wanted to communicate musically in the first place.

I think there is a chance that what Axl wanted the album to be changed a lot cause it's what the album sounds like to me: layers and layers of more ideas added to the same songs maybe in hope to improve until it's the best it could possibly be when perhaps the better approach for Axl would have been to work on his ability to let go and know when it's done. It's like knowing when to stop talking after you've already expressed yourself as best as you could in that moment. I don't think he learned this lesson even now.

To me, the 99' versions sounds better because they are more aggressive. The mix is clearly pointing to industrial, the bass, the guitars, drums. I remember AXL looking for the "smell like teen spirit" drums sound.  I think the album changed a lot when they realized that industrial rock wasn't selling anymore and decided to turn the songs to a hard rock style.

With that change, the essence of the music was kind of lost.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

I would think it’d be simple. Slash replaces Robin/ Buckethead/ Bumblefoot/ Brian May. Richard replaces Tobias. Duff replaces Tommy. Melissa replaces Chris.

Brain is the only one I can’t see being replaced by Frank, unless it’s like for a song or two, like how Frank replaced him on just 3 songs for the album in 2008 (title track, Better, and If the World).

Yeah, apparently that s is going to happen but i don t think this 13 songs of this back cover art will be at the next album at least not all of them. Axl Slash and Duff must have something new for record

Edited by Vini the saint
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

I think it's a real mockup. The General is probably a working title and now we know Thyme=Perhaps

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Thyme = PRL.

Perhaps is the 3rd song with Brian May. I don't think PRL and Perhaps are the same song? Thyme is an instrumental piece intended for PRL, like a 'stem', as far as I know.

I think Thyme= Perhaps= PRL.

Much like how Leave Me Alone= Me & My Elvis= Elvis Presley & the Monster of Soul= Soul Monster= Monstrosity.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

Maybe at one point Axl considered using it as a TWAT intro instead? Not trying to debunk you, cause I actually think now that you might be right and that this is fake. Just figured I’d play devil’s advocate.

Yeah, theres no way to know that! Those songs shouldve been a mess at the time. 

2 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

I had not seen that before. Looks incredibly legit, especially given the fact pattern. “IRS” doesn’t appear to be capitalized - appears to be all small caps...🤔

Chinese Democracy is so interesting - the timeline, line up changes, the mountain of recording.  To think the bulk of Axl’s 30s, 40s, and now 50s have been wasted (only formally releasing 15 songs)

The sum of all these leaks is substantial.  Hope it continues and light is further shed on this mystery. 

Although it’s only rock n roll!

Edited by nycgunner

the only reason I think this is BS is that, based on the leaks we've heard from '00/'01, Chinese Democracy (the song) has always had an extended intro that would be indicative of an album opener.  Having it appear after Better seems weird.  Plus, isn't "The General" supposed to be an epic, Estranged-like song - why would they open an album with something like that (although I guess UYI II opens with Civil War).

4 minutes ago, surforia said:

the only reason I think this is BS is that, based on the leaks we've heard from '00/'01, Chinese Democracy (the song) has always had an extended intro that would be indicative of an album opener.  Having it appear after Better seems weird.  Plus, isn't "The General" supposed to be an epic, Estranged-like song - why would they open an album with something like that (although I guess UYI II opens with Civil War).

Riad (album version), Scraped, Hardschool and Silkworms all have unnecessary intro's. CD with the shorter intro could've easily been in the middle of the album.

8 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Not sure. Feel like someone who has heard Thyme would’ve already said so if that was the case tho.

I dunno, the idea of Axl scrambling for a 10-second intro to TWAT and screaming "start cannibalizing our bad songs!" to find it instead of coming up with something new sounds very Axl

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, NOVEMBER COMA said:

Silkworms is a Dizzy song just like Tommy & BBF had their tracks. Can't see it ever being on an album, lyrics are too weird. Played live back in the day, that's it. OMG similar, was on a soundtrack then played live, just a moment in time never to be repeated. 

Yeah I don’t see Silkworms, Going Down, or OMG ever making it onto a record at this point, which is fine imo. Make room for other songs!