2018 CD Leaks Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

There's some really nice sounds and textures in it but I'm not sure that someone hasn't dicked around with it before putting it out there.

Some very amateurish sounding cuts in it. It's not like it's just an odd time signature, rather someone is shite at moving sections on a grid.

• Like 1

It's pretty obvious it's a work in progress. This latest leak doesn't have the synth that comes after "what it takes to be a man" from the one minute clip from a few weeks back, though maybe this is one of those ChiDem songs where the synth was pared back in later versions in favour of more straight-up rock sound (i.e. once RTB came on board).

And there's no way the final version will end that abruptly, i'm sure Axl will have some epic outro added to it.

The guitar solo isn't bad (Robin Finck), would be curious to hear what the Bumblefoot solo would have sounded like. I'm sure Slash will kick ass on it.

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I like it. The melody is really nice. I like the tempo shifts, the drumming. Good song. Would have been great for CD2. 

A few places where I feel the song "clips". Bumble was correct that it needed to some more work and mixing before it was ready to be released.

Got a link to the Bumblefoot interview where he says that?

Quoting a post @axlsalinger made in 2013 with a list of quotes about Atlas:

"In addition to these leaked tracks, Classic Rock has heard versions of Rhiad And The Bedouins, Prostitute, Atlas Shrugged (another track featuring the signature guitar of Brian May) and Silkworms." (Classic Rock, 07/07)

'Atlas Shrugged' is described as being somewhere between 70's glam rock and 'November Rain'. (Jeff Leeds, Sp1at Website 2005)

"'We were finishing tracks [in October],' confirms Tom [Zutaut]. 'Doing overdubs with Buckethead and Robin Finck and some stuff with Tommy Stinson. I felt we had a well finished version of The Blues, Madagascar, Chinese Democracy. Atlas Shrugged was pretty good.'" (Classic Rock, 04/08)

"Atlas Shrugged, I was going to tell a little story about that song. Right now on my laptop, I actually have the old guitar solo that I played for that song, when, two days before the album was going to be mastered, I was like, let's see if we can squeeze it on to the album. I busted out some guitar tracks for it, I have my own studio...

But, because the CD could only be 74 minutes max, and it would've taken it past the limit of what a CD can store, we couldn't put Atlas Shrugged on Chinese Democracy. It wasn't worth making a two-CD album with just one song on the other CD, so hopefully, on ChiDem 2, it'll have Atlas Shrugged on there. Interesting song." (Bumblefoot, Eat More Heat, March 2013)

3 minutes ago, Amir said:

Got a link to the Bumblefoot interview where he says that?

Hey buddy.

Not an interview but what I think was a chat with a fan club.

Bumblefoot: "I don't think we ever really finished that song. That would be the kinda thing where we'd have to get into the studio and lay some more tracks and just see where it goes and what state it is in" [Axl Rose Fa Clube, April 2014].

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Hey buddy.

Not an interview but what I think was a chat with a fan club.

Bumblefoot: "I don't think we ever really finished that song. That would be the kinda thing where we'd have to get into the studio and lay some more tracks and just see where it goes and what state it is in" [Axl Rose Fa Clube, April 2014].

Thanks; haha, listening to the song, it does sound like that. Some neat ideas, but never really coalesced into something that I think Axl would be happy to release. I think it was more than just "album space" that prevented him from including it on Chinese (he could have easily removed something like Scraped to make room :P ). Maybe with Slash and Duff he'll finally feel the song is complete :)

• Like 1

Pretty great that we now have three more songs from the CD era: Atlas Shrugged, Hardschool and Going Down. To me, it really broadens the output of that era in more senses than just adding songs. It makes me appreciate CD more, too, because I feel it fits together. All of these three songs are more easily accessible to me than what CD in general was. Together it just feels better. 

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

6 hours ago, WhazUp said:

Quoting a post @axlsalinger made in 2013 with a list of quotes about Atlas:

"In addition to these leaked tracks, Classic Rock has heard versions of Rhiad And The Bedouins, Prostitute, Atlas Shrugged (another track featuring the signature guitar of Brian May) and Silkworms." (Classic Rock, 07/07)

'Atlas Shrugged' is described as being somewhere between 70's glam rock and 'November Rain'. (Jeff Leeds, Sp1at Website 2005)

"'We were finishing tracks [in October],' confirms Tom [Zutaut]. 'Doing overdubs with Buckethead and Robin Finck and some stuff with Tommy Stinson. I felt we had a well finished version of The Blues, Madagascar, Chinese Democracy. Atlas Shrugged was pretty good.'" (Classic Rock, 04/08)

"Atlas Shrugged, I was going to tell a little story about that song. Right now on my laptop, I actually have the old guitar solo that I played for that song, when, two days before the album was going to be mastered, I was like, let's see if we can squeeze it on to the album. I busted out some guitar tracks for it, I have my own studio...

But, because the CD could only be 74 minutes max, and it would've taken it past the limit of what a CD can store, we couldn't put Atlas Shrugged on Chinese Democracy. It wasn't worth making a two-CD album with just one song on the other CD, so hopefully, on ChiDem 2, it'll have Atlas Shrugged on there. Interesting song." (Bumblefoot, Eat More Heat, March 2013)

That lends some credence to the theory that this is a pretty early version. The leak is 4:24 with a few seconds of silence at the beginning. So the song would have to be a couple minutes longer by 2008 for it to not fit on CD.

5 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Pretty great that we now have three more songs from the CD era: Atlas Shrugged, Hardschool and Going Down. To me, it really broadens the output of that era in more senses than just adding songs. It makes me appreciate CD more, too, because I feel it fits together. All of these three songs are more easily accessible to me than what CD in general was. Together it just feels better. 

I agree - I don't necessarily think the songs that made the album are the best songs from the CD era, but I think the 14 songs that made the cut form the most coherent album. 

• GNFNR 1

So with the most recent leaks, my version of CD has been updated 

1. Chinese Democracy
2. Atlas Shrugged
3. Better (2006 Demo)
4. Catcher in the Rye (1999 Demo)
5. Hard School
6. I.R.S. (1999 Demo)
7. T.W.A.T
8. Riad (Josh Freese Version)
9. Madagascar (2001 RTB Demo)
10. Prostitute
11. Street of Dreams

49 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

So with the most recent leaks, my version of CD has been updated 

1. Chinese Democracy
2. Atlas Shrugged
3. Better (2006 Demo)
4. Catcher in the Rye (1999 Demo)
5. Hard School
6. I.R.S. (1999 Demo)
7. T.W.A.T
8. Riad (Josh Freese Version)
9. Madagascar (2001 RTB Demo)
10. Prostitute
11. Street of Dreams

I'd go this route:

1. Chinese Democracy (99 Demo, Fresse Version)
2. Hard School
3. Better (Album Version)
4. If The World (Album Version)
5. The Blues (99 Demo)
6. Catcher in the Rye (99 Demo)
7. Atlas Shrugged
8. TWAT (Album Version)

9. I.R.S. (99 Demo)
10. The Blues (99 Demo)
11. Riad (Josh Freese Version)
12. Sorry (Album Version)
13. Madagascar (2001 RTB Demo)
14. This I Love (Album Version)

15. Prostitute

• GNFNR 1

I'll say...

Chinese Democracy

1. Chinese Democracy (Freese demo) - 3:29

2. Oh My God (End of Days soundtrack) - 3:40

3. Better (album) - 4:58

4. Hard School (demo) - 3:57

5. I.R.S. (demo) - 4:13

6. Street of Dreams (album) - 4:46

7. Sorry (album) - 6:14

8. There Was a Time (album) - 6:41

9. Madagascar (album) - 5:38

10. Prostitute (album) - 6:15

Total runtime: 49:51

Edited by TheSeeker

10 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

Something tells me a lot of these songs with intros are supposed to sequence with other songs 

For example, the intro to atlas kind of goes with TWAT. The intro to Hard School kind of falls in line Atlas, etc...

I was just thinking - do any GNR songs that have been officially released have endings that fade out?