2018 CD Leaks Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

I can’t believe there is much demand outside hardcore GNR fan circles for these leaks. I don’t really get the effort from the management team to get these removed from the internet or attempt to bring legal cases against anyone. Unless they are planning to release these officially at some point as part of a new album there’s no way they can monetise this any serious way, they should just let them out and see if any of them gain any buzz online

19 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Didn't mean to suggest that you're saying it's a conspiracy but the rest of your questions are pretty much what I'm asking.

Its just completely odd that literally none of the rock press is covering the fact that first full GNR songs since Chinese Democracy was released 11 years ago are openly available on the internet now. 

I guess that rock press isn't consider it was GNR ❓

1 hour ago, Lio said:

I do wonder about how this all happened. It seems such a crazy story, so I look forward to finding that out one day.

Axl knows about this, I think. I can't imagine him not knowing it. It's not as if he's locked in a basement.

I just don't think the world cares about it, that's why it's not in any news outlet. Axl's CD project was intriguing 20 years ago, but not today. People have moved on.

I agree.

And I think that an additional reason, at this point, that the media are not reporting about this is that the songs are not out there in the open.

Maybe if the leaked songs were on youtube, they'd write something like "Listen to this unreleased song", but without that it's not much newsworthy to them to just report about an "obscure" song from an "obscure" era Axl was working on 20 years ago that has leaked somewhere.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, D.. said:

More people care than for the new album, at least on this forum, apparently. See how this topic is way hotter than the one about the new album.
Personally, I don't care a lot for the upcoming album. I will listen to it, but I'm more interested in the CD era stuff.

Well the songs are leaking now that’s why it’s a hot topic. 

If a song leaked with the big 3, the forum would possibly crash. 

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

To answer the first question: Ultimate Classic Rock is just one of the many music news sites that posts literally anything and everything going on out there. 

That site, along with places like Blabbernouth and Alt Nation would immediately post a story if Axl burped in public. So the silence is deafening at least to me, that none of them have even posted the tiniest of articles on this. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not buying into any conspiracy theories or anything. I just can't believe not one site out there hasn't posted a word about this whole deal. 

Totally agree. How are media outlets silent on this but covered Rock the Rock?

I get one is a leak and one was on television, but that distinction doesn’t overwhelm legit, unheard songs vs a joke song for a cartoon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

He probably still gives a shit. With how much the internet has evolved though, it's almost impossible to stop people from trading/leaking unreleased material and it's pointless to try. It's like whack-a-mole, you shut down one source leaking the material and another one pops up.

Yes, you are right. The St. Louis incident isn't would happened today too. This thechnology kill Axl want to go to law.

• GNFNR 1

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I like HS and AS but I've barely listened to them. Not nearly as much as I would have if they didn't come with the knowledge that this shit has been sitting around for 20 years, but Axl just refuses to sell it to his fans. 

It's weirdly anti-climactic for me, which is strange, because it doesn't have anything to do with the actual songs themselves. They're both good songs. Hard School is great, Atlas is really good. I like them both, but I totally know what you mean. It's hard to get the same buzz from something when you know the artist themselves didn't feel passionate enough about it to see it through. 

It's the same with the posthumous albums of MJ and Prince. I didn't even buy the last Prince one, whereas when he was alive I used to buy every new album on the day of its release. But it's not the same once that ship has sailed. 

As a GNR fan, I would like to hear music Axl Rose WANTS me to hear. I want to hear something that he is proud of enough to put out there officially. Something properly mixed and mastered, that he has taken pride in. I don't feel that way about HS or AS, which has nothing to do with the quality of the songs themselves. But these songs are outtakes, not new Guns N Roses songs. 

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 2

About newsites not doing anything. That's just how they do it now. 

A few years ago RHCP had 2 demo discs with some new songs with Frusciante leaked and one demo song with Dave Navarro. News ignored literally everything except that Navarro song cause he reacted to it on the twitter and it kinda made it legit

No proper news website or any journalistic venue would ever sign or accept a gag-order or any kind of censorship like this. If it was an official release, they could raise an embargo, but that's not the case. 

If anything, the news would post with fanfare about how Axl wants to control the media for some 20 years old demos that only a few thousand nerds care about.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

No proper news website or any journalistic venue would ever sign or accept a gag-order or any kind of censorship like this. If it was an official release, they could raise an embargo, but that's not the case. 

If anything, the news would post with fanfare about how Axl wants to control the media for some 20 years old demos that only a few thousand nerds care about.

The thing is. They'd ruin relationship with GnR. GnR is bigger brand than any music news site. That's why they don't do that. You'll see that there're almost none really negative press about bands in those. All the negativity comes from TMZ, Daily Mails and shit like that

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

The thing is. They'd ruin relationship with GnR. GnR is bigger brand than any music news site. That's why they don't do that. You'll see that there're almost none really negative press about bands in those. All the negativity comes from TMZ, Daily Mails and shit like that

That's just ridiculous. It's a news site. They're supposed to bring news, not what bands dictate. If they're so scared of ruining their relationship with GNR (I wonder if they even have a relationship with GNR), why would they all report on Axl trying to get his fat picture off the internet? Makes no sense at all. They did report on the rumours about reunion and about Izzy and his loot. Why on earth would they be hesitant to report on something that anyone who's interested could just google?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

Wait. 

What? 

Since when does journalism have anything to do with the reporters relationship to the subject being reported on? 

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I'd be surprised if Axl has any idea any of this is going on. 

Though, I do remain surprised that not even the sites like Blabbernouth, Ultimate Classic Rock and at least Alt National haven't run stories about the leaks. 

There was some news when HS leaked, but nothing for Atlas.

4 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

What do you mean? That if they had publish anything about the leaks it would "ruin relationship" with GNR?

I don't believe any professional music news site would put their "relationship" with the band before any actual news. We're talking about facts here. If they only publish things good for their relationship with the band, they are just doing PR work. 

• Like 1

I strongly believe huge news outlets doesnt care and doesnt feel people would be interested on 20yo GNR demos that doesnt even comes from the current lineup nor a lineup with popular members. 

NuGNR is pretty much forgotten by now. Not that they were popular before the regroup, CD just became news because of its mythcal status. 

Edited by default_
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Wait. 

What? 

Since when does journalism have anything to do with the reporters relationship to the subject being reported on? 

Journalists working in the entertainment industry can sometimes be beholden to the power of providers. However, since GNR does jackshit media relations, it doesn’t really matter.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nycgunner said:

Totally agree. How are media outlets silent on this but covered Rock the Rock?

I get one is a leak and one was on television, but that distinction doesn’t overwhelm legit, unheard songs vs a joke song for a cartoon

I think all in all, because Rock the Rock is current and new.  It is a new and recent Axl appearance and his first major one outside of live shows since the reunion - and to do a TV cartoon show appearance like that is pretty cool

The leaks are mostly rough demos of songs that are on an album that didn't live up to the hype of its own legacy with a few unreleased tracks that sound not totally finished yet, by a lineup that doesn't have Slash in it. 

All in all, nobody besides us really cares about demos from the Chinese sessions

• Like 2