2018 CD Leaks Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

2 minutes ago, El Nono Pololo said:

I don't think people necessarily have a problem with complex songs per se. They just don't think most of those in CD work. I love Zappa, Beefheart, Adebisi Shank, The Cardiacs and the rest. Listening to their catalogues again doesn't exactly make me see CD with better eyes, nor does the record benefit from the comparison IMO. It just seems meandering and lost to me for the most part. To each his own, of course.

But I wasnt talking about the quality of the songs. Of course they are entitled to not like it, in general or even in a specific piece and it's context. The thing to me is always the reasons on why they dislike something specific about a song when it's totally ok if the same thing happened in other classic old songs. Atlas intro is a good example: its just some keyboard riff, nothing different from Baba O'Reilly or Strawberry Fields. But when the leak came out, people were treating it like it was the most alien sound in the universe.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

But I wasnt talking about the quality of the songs. Of course they are entitled to not like it, in general or even in a specific piece and it's context. The thing to me is always the reasons on why they dislike something specific about a song when it's totally ok if the same thing happened in other classic old songs. Atlas intro is a good example: its just some keyboard riff, nothing different from Baba O'Reilly or Strawberry Fields. But when the leak came out, people were treating it like it was the most alien sound in the universe.

Not to push the subject, but in many cases I don't know if you can put quality aside when talking about this. The exact same trait can be a plus or a drawback depending on the effect it produces on the listener. I like Janis Joplin because she screams all the time. I dislike Christina Aguilera because she screams all the time. It sounds contradictory. Thing is, it's not the same voice, and it's not the same scream.

But I get what you're saying.

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

If you listen to Atlas, the chorus and verses could almost be different songs just stuck together on pro tools. It just sounds a bit unnatural. 

I also think they pasted a note or 2 of Brian May on the end of the solo. 

I recall Brian was apparently a bit confused because when he listened it didn’t sound at all like what he had played. 

5 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

If you listen to Atlas, the chorus and verses could almost be different songs just stuck together on pro tools. It just sounds a bit unnatural. 

I recall Brian was apparently a bit confused because when he listened it didn’t sound at all like what he had played. 

Probably because it's not finished, haha. 

4 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

Brian meant that he was used to creating solo ideas from start to finish. Axl and his producer chopped up phrases from several different passes that Brian did on the tracked he played on, they didn't take individual notes etc. and piece it together like a midi track or anything like that. What Axl did is common practice with recording guitar solos, it's also the norm for recording vocals, sometimes word by word, line by line; all of which may be sang multiple times and then the producer will mark them and note which are the best takes and choose from them. 

The Solo in Atlas towards the end definitely uses the Brain May harmony idea, whether it was actually him on that track? I don't know. To me it doesn't sound like Brian Mays guitar sound. I've heard Brian play through different amps but he nearly always sounds the same. I think If Axl was getting Brian May to appear on his record, then he'd get Brian to have 'his' sound.

I agree that the chorus and verses can definitely be two different songs. I guess that probably was what Axls intention was for that song, but it doesn't quite come off. It's a bit of a challenge to nail that arrangement idea. 

• Like 1

Just now, evader said:

This x1000. I still can't believe they took a Buckethead guitar solo out of a song written by Buckethead.

Would be interesting to hear it, but Bumbles solo is excellent. I'd say besides the outro solo in Better or the solo in This I love, it's the best solo on CD.

It seems like Prostitute v2 is the demo form where Prostitute v3 was the final product ready for release.

Is there an even earlier Prostitute based off the numbers? 

But overall I think the final product ('08) is a lot better in every respect to the '99 version (v3) although I do really enjoy the sonics of v3 and how when the song starts it seems like multiple guitar & vocal tracks start playing one after the other really interesting sound. 

Musically Prostitute is one of my favorite songs off Chinese & in GnR's catalog. 

9 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Would be interesting to hear it, but Bumbles solo is excellent. I'd say besides the outro solo in Better or the solo in This I love, it's the best solo on CD.

Ron is spectacularly gifted, and you are right about the solo. I like it too. I've just always wanted to hear Bucket's original intent.

• GNFNR 1

33 minutes ago, evader said:

This x1000. I still can't believe they took a Buckethead guitar solo out of a song written by Buckethead.

Ron's a nice guy, but I'm not a fan of the fretless guitar noodling that ended up all over the album versions for whatever reason.  The worst Bucket solo is better than that stuff. IMO of course.

8 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

It doesn't have vocals unfortunately. 

Not a loss, Shackler's fantastic instrumentally.  Wouldn't be long before a fan edit pastes Axl on top of a vocal-less version anyway.

I've always liked this little fan edit of what a Bucket solo on it would be like:

36 minutes ago, evader said:

Ron is spectacularly gifted, and you are right about the solo. I like it too. I've just always wanted to hear Bucket's original intent.

There's few things that would make me part with cash, but if they put a Chinese boxset out even with just the 14 songs, and a bonus disk or two of alternative takes I'd gladly pay for it. I'd definitely love to hear the origins of the song and his solo

• GNFNR 1

20 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

Ron's a nice guy, but I'm not a fan of the fretless guitar noodling that ended up all over the album versions for whatever reason.  The worst Bucket solo is better than that stuff. IMO of course.

It's great on Chinese (defintely gave it a layer of Sleaze/grit previous demo versions didn't have) and Shacklers. I'd probably have left to just those two new songs, but Axl loved it apparently, and Ron obviously needs no encouragement when it comes to getting whacky :D 

12 hours ago, RussTCB said:

The number of songs with vocals is now down to something super low, like 7 (I think). Of which, we've already heard 3 in full. 

And I heard only 4 or 5 of them are any good including Jackie Chan and Atlas 

Edited by Arnuld

9 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Did Axl admit he used vocal tuning tho? I don't remember that. I'm sure he have, but I just don't remember any quotes about that besides when he denied using it in live performances.

He admitted to using autotuning on his vocals in the 2006 interview with Eddie Trunk - Baz brought it up and Axl got kind of weird about it

There's also the Osaka 2002 in-ear mix where Axl starts yelling at the monitor guy to take the filter off his voice - so there's that as evidence that he was using something on his voice during live shows