2018 CD Leaks Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

6 hours ago, El Nono Pololo said:

Not to push the subject, but in many cases I don't know if you can put quality aside when talking about this. The exact same trait can be a plus or a drawback depending on the effect it produces on the listener. I like Janis Joplin because she screams all the time. I dislike Christina Aguilera because she screams all the time. It sounds contradictory. Thing is, it's not the same voice, and it's not the same scream.

But I get what you're saying.

I also understand your POV. But I'm talking more about the production and structure than the performancing. I mean, it's ok to say "I dislike the key changes in this song". But to say "key changes sucks" is another thing in my opinion.

5 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

If you listen to Atlas, the chorus and verses could almost be different songs just stuck together on pro tools. It just sounds a bit unnatural. 

I also think they pasted a note or 2 of Brian May on the end of the solo. 

I recall Brian was apparently a bit confused because when he listened it didn’t sound at all like what he had played. 

Pretty sure it was intentional. The key change in this case makes you think it's like two different songs, but those changes makes sense even though they sound like a dry cut. Like many people said, this could even be smoothed out in a proper mix/editing. To me, its not jarring - the drums and vocals are what keeps the flow. I actually like the change as it is, to me it's very interesting.

The thing with May's solo is something Axl did in Catcher too. It's something I dont necesseraly like, but it worked just fine in another songs like Better. To me, the worst case of this editing work was Bucket's outro in Scraped. It's good when you listen in the final mix, but it was from very different performances and tones, pasted together for a cool solo, but sounding rather weird and not cohesive.

1 hour ago, TheSeeker said:

He admitted to using autotuning on his vocals in the 2006 interview with Eddie Trunk - Baz brought it up and Axl got kind of weird about it

There's also the Osaka 2002 in-ear mix where Axl starts yelling at the monitor guy to take the filter off his voice - so there's that as evidence that he was using something on his voice during live shows

I dont remember much of his interview in 2006, but I can say that the Osaka 2002 in-ear mix is not pro tooling his performance. He always said he used effects in his voice, such as reverb, delay or even an envelope filter. But those are not enhancements tools like autotune. Its kinda like a guitar pedal - you can put some weird stuff there, but the performance will always be the untouched.

On the topic of Axl copying and pasting guitar solos - I read an Eddie Van Halen interview where he admitted to doing this himself on albums.

The problem was then when Eddie had to learn to play the solos live, he would be like "how the fuck do I get my hands from here to there on the fret?". Copying and pasting leads to some unnatural progressions for guitarists.

5 hours ago, TheSeeker said:

He admitted to using autotuning on his vocals in the 2006 interview with Eddie Trunk - Baz brought it up and Axl got kind of weird about it

There's also the Osaka 2002 in-ear mix where Axl starts yelling at the monitor guy to take the filter off his voice - so there's that as evidence that he was using something on his voice during live shows

Yeah it was awkward... not as awkward as when baz asked how West Arkeen was doing.

3 hours ago, TheSeeker said:

On the topic of Axl copying and pasting guitar solos - I read an Eddie Van Halen interview where he admitted to doing this himself on albums.

The problem was then when Eddie had to learn to play the solos live, he would be like "how the fuck do I get my hands from here to there on the fret?". Copying and pasting leads to some unnatural progressions for guitarists.

Not a problem when you use 3 guitar players live. :bbf06: :dj: :4tus:

3 hours ago, TheSeeker said:

It's funny because there is on note like that slash plays in the outro to November rain. I've never seen him or anyone pull it off live.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jw224 said:

I don't understand why people keep talking about things needing to be done in one take or being "stitched together". This has absolutely no bearing on how a final mix and master will sound. 

It depends on what aspect of "stitching together" we are talking about

With Chinese, I absolutely do believe that the stitching together of random instrumentalist's parts periodically over the course of 10 years for some of these songs definitely affected things for the worse. 

Musicians love the organic feeling of feeding off each other, you can't get that if you are Bumblefoot laying down a random fretless guitar part for a track that was mostly tracked in the 90's, over a half a decade before he was even considered for joining the band.  Even the greatest mix in the world can't randomly add those random fills, the changes of expression and instrumental nuances that occur when you are playing with other people in the moment, allowing each other's musical personalities to react in real-time with each other - as opposed to tracking way way after the fact when the parts are set in stone and all spontaneity gets thrown out the window

Chinese, for as much as I like it, sounds a bit cold to me.  Because none of the musicians were actually in a room together, and a song like Chinese features a drum part 3 times removed (Josh, to Brain, to Frank all recording and replacing each other's parts eventually)

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, WhazUp said:

With Chinese, I absolutely do believe that the stitching together of random instrumentalist's parts periodically over the course of 10 years for some of these songs definitely affected things for the worse. 

Musicians love the organic feeling of feeding off each other, you can't get that if you are Bumblefoot laying down a random fretless guitar part for a track that was mostly tracked in the 90's, over a half a decade before he was even considered for joining the band.  Even the greatest mix in the world can't randomly add those random fills, the changes of expression and instrumental nuances that occur when you are playing with other people in the moment, allowing each other's musical personalities to react in real-time with each other - as opposed to tracking way way after the fact when the parts are set in stone and all spontaneity gets thrown out the window

Chinese, for as much as I like it, sounds a bit cold to me.  Because none of the musicians were actually in a room together, and a song like Chinese features a drum part 3 times removed (Josh, to Brain, to Frank all recording and replacing each other's parts eventually)

I understand what you're saying but I still don't really think that changes how the final song will sound. It definitely affected Chinese negatively but like you said ten years, I think it's a pretty rare case and its situation shouldn't be applied to music production in general, which is the attitude some seem to have. Doing something in one take doesn't instantly make it sound better and artists not being in a room together a bad album does not make. 

Edited by Jw224
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, WhazUp said:

This is one of the better posts explaining what's wrong with Chinese Democracy that I've read over the years. 

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

Perhaps does feature May on guitar, but it's not the only other song with vocals. 

Really? Was just going by what I saw. Hope you're right and these songs keep coming. Seems to have gone quiet but hopefully it's just a question of whoever getting around to it. 

30 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

Apparently 'Perhaps' is the only other song with vocals on these CDs, and also features Brian May on guitar. Interesting!

So you are saying that of all the unreleased songs we havent heard from these CDs only 1 song has vocals

5 minutes ago, zombux said:

how reable is that info actually? I mean, do we have any proof of that?

1 minute ago, RedHook said:

So you are saying that of all the unreleased songs we havent heard from these CDs only 1 song has vocals

There was a rumour there were 7 songs with vocals, but Rick said it was more.

Haha "Ok nevermind..."

It's become clear from other people that have heard from the leakers that there may be a few songs with vocals, one of them being "Perhaps" which also features Brian May on guitar. 

I guess the only way the rest of us will know for sure is when these fuckers leak. Ahem.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, zombux said:

how reable is that info actually? I mean, do we have any proof of that?

Just going by what I was told. I know everyone has a "reliable source" these days, but mine is pretty darn reliable and I'm told Quick Song, Perhaps, Nothin, Eye On You and State Of Grace all have vocals. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

Just going by what I was told. I know everyone has a "reliable source" these days, but mine is pretty darn reliable and I'm told Quick Song, Perhaps, Nothin, Eye On You and State Of Grace all have vocals. 

I hope they eventually tire of all this, and just drop the motherload and be done with it. Then we can really party like it's 2006. :lol:

• Like 2