ATLAS SHRUGGED - Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

7 minutes ago, Setzer said:

If you don't have 4 minutes left on the disc, a 4 minute song is too long. Simple math.

The record is only 71 minutes long. They had NINE minutes left on the disc. This AND Hardschool would’ve fit on there.

FWIW, both this song and Hardschool grow on me more and more with each listen. Slash should really sink his teeth into all this stuff.

4 minutes ago, Gimpy Hewitt said:

The one you know is a kick ass song

Yeah it’s up there with all the classic era AIC songs. All three albums with Duvall have kicked ass so far! Couldn’t think of anyone better to replace Layne. He emulates Layne, without imitating him.

Edited by rocknroll41

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I've posted this previously but I was told years ago that the lyrics are about the first time Robin left. 

Wasn't it referenced in the the '99 Rolling Stone interview though? 

I'm seriously jealous of all the people loving it. 

Remember that Axl played ALL the leaked songs at Hammerstein' 06. Plus he's got Slash and Duff to encourage playing new stuff if they choose to. 

I hope Wanker and Mofo are really mad us plebs have got  this shit now. 

It's funny people always said Axl was trying to do an industrial record and was chasing trends from the late 90s when in fact it seems pretty clear he was chasing the trends Guns missed out on in 1991-1993 with UYI. The only song that could be argued is industrial (and it isn't, but it has some tinges) is Oh My God and Axl didn't have anything to do with the music for that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jordan Rose said:

Remember that Axl played ALL the leaked songs at Hammerstein' 06. Plus he's got Slash and Duff to encourage playing new stuff if they choose to. 

I hope Wanker and Mofo are really mad us plebs have got  this shit now. 

You don't like it?

Just now, Stro said:

It's funny people always said Axl was trying to do an industrial record and was chasing trends from the late 90s when in fact it seems pretty clear he was chasing the trends Guns missed out on in 1991-1993 with UYI. The only song that could be argued is industrial (and it isn't, but it has some tinges) is Oh My God and Axl didn't have anything to do with the music for that. 

Shackler’s,Silkworms, Riad, and Scraped all kindly disagree. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, D.. said:

You don't like it?

I always make snap judgements. Prince's Rainbow Children sounded like lukewarm garbage when I first heard in at 18 and never listened to jazz. Then it became one of my favourite albums ever. I appreciate Atlas is a really different style. Lots of comparisons here to bands I don't really know much from. 

But no. I guess I just like big melodies and soaring vocals. The solo just sounds meh to me. Like a placeholder. But it may well be my ignorance. 

22 minutes ago, GoForJMark said:

I may or may not be there in the minority here, but it's kinda meh. I don't know, maybe Hard school kinda raised the bar for me. 

Unfortunately, I feel the same way. Hardschool, minus maybe the mid section, unnecessary guitar noodling, did set the bar a bit high. The best part of Atlas was/is the first minute, which is exactly the section that was leaked earlier in the cellphone clip.

Akin to how occasionally a movie trailer gives away the best moments of the movie, but you don't realize it until you see the movie? Yeah, it's kinda like that.

The snippet was a tease but a good one. However, the rest of this song is just SO embarrassingly.... Average. The guitar solo is even not that impressive. Its way too short, not memorable in the least. I stick by my previous statement: Catcher has it beat, easily. 

But don't misunderstand. I do like it! I just expected more, I suppose. I'm 99.9 percent sure Axls got stronger material than Atlas, despite its mythical reputation of being an A-List "Big Gun"

Edited by Estrangedfx

17 minutes ago, Jordan Rose said:

I honestly don't remember what was said previously. I just know I was told that personally. Hearing the lyrics now, it totally makes sense. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jordan Rose said:

I always make snap judgements. Prince's Rainbow Children sounded like lukewarm garbage when I first heard in at 18 and never listened to jazz. Then it became one of my favourite albums ever. I appreciate Atlas is a really different style. Lots of comparisons here to bands I don't really know much from. 

But no. I guess I just like big melodies and soaring vocals. The solo just sounds meh to me. Like a placeholder. But it may well be my ignorance. 

You like dramatic songs, I take it ; ) 

I think it will grow on you, given your tastes.

Don't worry, I happen to make snap judgements too (except on the last Tool album, gave it a few try, it's fucking garbage, for my taste anyway, wanker album of the year).