ATLAS SHRUGGED - Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

ATLAS SHRUGGED (Lyrics) 1999

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Why should I try and judge

The things they say, they just won’t budge

I’m letting go

And shelter from the blind, storm

You managed to be kind

But still not to show me how to keep it together

When my heart’s crying out in vain

No matter who’s to blame

There are still ways to go

So if you ask me to believe your heart will follow you

It’s got a mind of its own

When it’s as wrong and the road gets rough

And you’re the one

Whose shoulders just

Ain’t wide enough

Whose shoulders shrug when they’ve had enough

I’ll be the last to say « don’t follow your heart »

There’s more to what it takes to be a man

Than what you’ve known

What you’re shown 

And what we know you understand

It’s another thing, if I were you

I would say all that I do to be half as strong

Or still belong

You really should take the time 

To look back at all of your past misadventures

When it’s as wrong and the road gets rough

And you’re the one

Whose shoulders just

Ain’t wide enough

Whose shoulders shrug when they’ve had enough

But there’s more to what it takes to be a man

Than what you know

What you’re shown

That’s what we know you’ll understand

Don’t ever say « don’t follow your heart »

If I’m wrong, that’s what it takes to make amend (could be "that's what it takes to make a man")

From what you’ve known

And all that you’ve been shown

Jesus now I hope you understand

But there’s more to what it takes to be a man

Than what you know

What you’ve shown

And what we know you understand

I never said « don’t follow your heart »

If I’m wrong, that’s what it takes to make amend

More than you know

And all that you’ve been shown

Jesus now I hope you understand

Edited by RedHook

Michael Jackson released NINE fucking singles from Dangerous with zero b-sides ranging across an absolutely crazy amount of styles.

Jam

Black or White

Give In To Me

Gone Too Soon

Heal The World

In The Closet

Will You Be There

Remember The Time

Who Is It

If we're talking '99-'01 with proper video treatments, full label support, award shows and tv appearances, interviews, magazine covers etc etc etc they could have released loads of stuff from Chinese.

6 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Apparently I should explain that it's Russ - TCB.... As in, my name +Elvis' motto of "TCB" LOL. 

Haha, had to Google that reference. My boss is called Russ and privately we affectionately call him Rusty Buckets lol.

Do you have any idea what state TB/Axl/Guns camp are in over all this? I'm guessing it's either a non-issue or total meltdown, nothing inbetween.

• Haha 1

I’ve only listened to Atlas once, dying to listen to it again here during lunch. It’s a good song, just a horrible mix. I definitely think Hard School would’ve done better as a single, but by no means is Atlas a bad song. I like the direction and the ideas they were going with. 

Edited by GNRfanJen

Easiest explanation for Chinese's bad promotion at the time is the budget was blown many times over, so music videos weren't an option.  Shackler's showing up on Rock Band 2 likely helped the most with moving units, but the Best Buy deal did the band no favors whatsoever.

The label at least pushed out single discs for ChiDem, SoD & Better, but there's several other tracks that could have taken off given the right promotion.

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

I have no idea what TB or GN'R are thinking but I sure as shit just received an email from the GNR store trying to sell me.......I SHIT YOU NOT.........a GN'R branded LAUNDRY BAG. W T F 

If this band released music as often as they release stupid garbage that nobody wants we’d have the whole vault by now.

• GNFNR 2

26 minutes ago, Gackt said:

The album as a whole would be much more forgettable if it didn't include Bucket & Bumble's contributions.

Yeah I don’t like bumble as a person all that much (from what I’ve seen in interviews) but he and bucket saved Chinese Democracy’s ass. These demos are cool, and some aspects are actually superior to the final versions, but as far as overall songs are considered, I’m still glad we got the album we got in 2008.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I mean this in a funny way, but I love how everyone is still listing the other leaks you'd like to have happen.... Y'all waited 20 years to hear the two recent leaks.....enjoy them for a minute before looking for more! Sheesh! Lol

This just inspired me to go make another Terminator thread

• Haha 1

It's funny, I have almost opposite pros and cons for Atlas and Hard School.

With Hard School I tend to skip the first minute; with Atlas the first minute is my favourite part.

With Hard School I love the chorus but not super big on the verses; with Atlas I love the verses but the chorus does nothing for me.

With Hard School I love the outro; Atlas is anticlimactic for me.

Regardless, I'd love to hear what Slash and Duff can bring to one or both tracks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I have no idea what TB or GN'R are thinking but I sure as shit just received an email from the GNR store trying to sell me.......I SHIT YOU NOT.........a GN'R branded LAUNDRY BAG. W T F 

Saw that...They also may be clearing out some inventory by including a hat and a shirt. That might be a good sign

About the song, I know I'm late in the thread, but here's my opinion anyways:

I love the odd time signatures and key changes. It's totally different from the GNR style, but I really don't care about that. 
The keyboard intro reminds me a bit of a Mellotron, kinda like Beatles-ish. Funny how some of you thought it was weird. Strawberry Fields Forever came to my mind.
The drums are fenomenal. Sounds like Josh Freese to me.
The guitar work is ok throughout the song, but Brian May solos (IMO, it's all Brian May, no Robin or Paul at all) are awesome. Kinda funny to see some people here saying he emulated Slash, when it there's a lot of things Slash actually got "inspired" by May.
I like Axl's melodies, but I agree that it's nothing special. Like the lyrics too. 

I just don't think Axl wanted to make this song to be a hit or a single. Neither with Prostitute, Catcher or The Blues - all those songs lack a really catchy chorus. I don't think Axl was interested in write a radio hit at all, but Shaclker's, Sorry and Better all sounded like they were worked with that in mind. 

About the edit: it does sounds odd how it has a dry cut. But then again, there's tons of this stuff on the album. I'm not conviced that this leak in particular is fan-edited or not.

3 minutes ago, Gackt said:

Easiest explanation for Chinese's bad promotion at the time is the budget was blown many times over, so music videos weren't an option.  Shackler's showing up on Rock Band 2 likely helped the most with moving units, but the Best Buy deal did the band no favors whatsoever.

The label at least pushed out single discs for ChiDem, SoD & Better, but there's several other tracks that could have taken off given the right promotion.

IRS, Madagascar, Sorry, This I Love, Shackler’s, and If the World would’ve ALL been better singles than Street of Dreams.

Got to admit I’m underwhelmed after the 20 years of mystique surrounding this tune. It’s probably a grower. Hear Skynrd in the arrangement and May’s solo. Not sure if it’s Beavan or Baker production? It’s very much in the vein just less impactful. I doubt Bumble’s solo added to the latter recording. No classic but maybe a grower. Still better than Goin Down, but flatter than HardSchool. Suspect that General might be underwhelming too! That said I love Chinese Democracy the album