ATLAS SHRUGGED - Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

Apparently, these are unheard songs with Axl vocals on them:

PRL

Eye On You

Moustache

Quicksong

Quicksong w Buckethead

Zodiac 13

Tonto

Real Doll Dot Com

Atlas Shrugged

Silkworms (not the 2018 leak)

Billionaire

State of Grace

Devious Bastard

Hardschool

Dummy

Me & My Elvis

When the story about the locker first broke, somebody posted this list somewhere (can't remember which thread) and I copy and pasted it. 

• Like 1

It's okay. Just... okay. Atlas Shrugged was a song that has long floated around, and it sounds every bit like it. That's not to say it's a bad song. It just sounds like Axl's foray into grunge. Kind of almost Soundgarden/Alice In Chains sounding to some extent to me. 

I like it, but it's more filler than "big gun" to me. I don't think it'd be a top 10 track on the Chinese Democracy album we got, which was lackluster as a whole.

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Did Axl walk off during OMG or did his mic just stop working? Was his voice similar to other 2001/02 shows or did he sound more like 2006? (He looked physically a lot more like 2006 Axl than Rio 2001 Axl, so I've always wondered if his vocals were more raspy at those shows).

Yes his mic did stop working and he did walk off. Came back later and said that of course everything was going wrong because it was the 1st show he had asked to do in 8 years. Robin threw his guitar down at the end. Robin sang most of the song. Similar to other 2001/02 shows vocally. 

Edited by Arnuld

@D.. to answer your question regarding present-day rock music, I and many others agree that Slipknot’s new record that they just dropped last month, We Are Not Your Kind, is easily their best since 2004’s Subliminal Verses, maybe even 2001’s Iowa! Tool’s new record that they just dropped was also great (tho Tool itself has always been an acquired taste for most, which I understand).

Metallica’s Hardwired record that they dropped a few years back was easily their best since The Black Album (tho I guess that’s not saying much since everything in between sucked). Greta Van Fleet’s double EP was pretty good (tho admittedly the full-length album that followed was disappointing but they’re still just kids so I’ll give them a pass). RHCP’s most recent record The Getaway is very different from their other stuff and a bit of an acquired taste but personally I like it. Then you have bands that may not necessarily still make great albums in full but still manage to put out kickass hit singles like Smashing Pumpkins, Alice In Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, The Struts, and hell even our very own SMKC.

i guess the point I’m trying to make is that, as far as I see it, rock is alive and well. The slipknot record just went to number one all over the world! That’s gotta count for something still, right?

Edited by rocknroll41

14 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Haven't heard it but it seems like it's not that great of a song? Not as great as expected? What do you all think?

It’s good. I think a reworked version with Slash has the potential to be great

Edited by Arnuld
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Hell yeah can't get enough of SMKC. Best RnFnR band since VR.

Which is better, Hardschool or Atlas?

I like Hardschool better but it’s all subjective... Hardschool has a more traditional song structure and a catchier melody, but atlas goes into more unique territory, so it’s a matter of personal taste, I suppose.

Edited by rocknroll41

5 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

There's more too- Kaleo, Royal Blood, Dirty Honey, Greta Van Fleet, etc

Anyone tried Magick Touch from Norway. I love them.

I loved the melody from the minute long leak of atlas and was expecting great things.

Turns out that is the best bit and I find the rest just average.

Hopefully it will grow on me.

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

Slipknot

That is like... little kid music, man... 

Back on topic though, for as unconventional as this song sounds (lack of traditional-type chorus and all that), it also seems surprisingly easily digestible.  Like, it’s not extremely complex and almost  EverythingWentBetterThanExpected.jpg in song form.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DarkLotus1111 said:

meets Our Lady Peace

Man it does sound like Our Lady Peace, haha. So random. Feels pretty messy... meandering...  Finck is the best thing about nu-gnr. 

Axl really was bored a.f. with blues rock.

I just saw this with Finck it's pretty sweet: 

Edited by Ant