ATLAS SHRUGGED - Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

Just heard the full version, and it is a real head scratcher why it was decided that Catcher, scraped or Rhiad made it on the record over this. This has a much more upbeat feel than any song on CD. It might not have fit the tone of the original record though, so that's probably the reason. Definitely sounds like a properly mixed version though. Great to finally hear it though!

Remember when Axl was talking about this song in the 2008 chats? Imagine going back in time to like the day after that and telling yourself and everyone else that the song wouldn’t be heard publicly for another 11 years, and once it was finally heard, it’d be in the form of a 1999 leaked demo.

...imagine also telling those same people about NITL and Axl/DC!

• Like 1

I think a polished version of this song, with the same upbeat tempo and sound, would do well in today's pop-rock market. It just needs to be cleaned up a bit, maybe add in another solo to break it up, and include some more verses in lieu of the repeated chorus.

Edited by Live Like a Suicide

The more I listen to it, the more I like it.

I hope that if we get to hear a definite version of the song, this includes Axl new vocals (the verses sound like that little part in estranged "I don't know how you're supposed to find me later..."; I think it needs louder vocals and more rasp con the "choruses" if they can be called that. 

I think Hardschool and this one are GREAT songs for Slash to start with

11 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I think a polished version of this song, with the same upbeat tempo and sound, would do well in today's pop-rock market. It just needs to be cleaned up a bit, maybe add in another solo to break it up, and include some more verses in lieu of the repeated chorus.

What is today's "pop/rock" market, and why in the living hell should any of us care how future songs would chart? I don't get that line of thinking in 2019 for determining success. There are many other attributes. One being people not taking a pee break when it gets played live and actually recognizing a song. 

20 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

What is today's "pop/rock" market, and why in the living hell should any of us care how future songs would chart? I don't get that line of thinking in 2019 for determining success. There are many other attributes. One being people not taking a pee break when it gets played live and actually recognizing a song. 

Here's a playlist of modern pop rock examples:

Not all are pop rock, but they are all super popular songs. I think Atlas, being a softer rock song with a poppy tempo/melody and softer vocals, would do relatively well among this competition. Indeed, i think it would be more of a mainstream hit than Hardschool would be (even though i prefer Hardschool over Atlas at this stage).

Why should we care? Well, this is a band we all love and follow. It would be great to hear it on the radio and see it charting well, no? Of course there are other determinants of success, but just because there are, shouldn't mean we can't have this discussion on how well a reworked Atlas may chart.

6 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Not all are pop rock, but they are all super popular songs. I think Atlas, being a softer rock song with a poppy tempo/melody and softer vocals, would do relatively well among this competition. Indeed, i think it would be more of a mainstream hit than Hardschool would be (even though i prefer Hardschool over Atlas at this stage).

Why should we care? Well, this is a band we all love and follow. It would be great to hear it on the radio and see it charting well, no? Of course there are other determinants of success, but just because there are, shouldn't mean we can't have this discussion on how well a reworked Atlas may chart.

He should give the song to Pink and let her take it to #1

Completely serious when I say that

GNR is never going to have a hit song again

So I’m currently on a Skype conference call for my job (tech industry) and I was thinking just now about Atlas and wondering if the rumors are true that the NITL lineup will finally release the final version of it at the end of this year, and then all of a sudden the guy talking on the call goes “we should have atlas, with all of our wants and desires included, ready for release by the end of this year.”

It’s a sign!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, axlweave said:

The problem today is that pop music is so consumed with hip hop which completely sucks now so over blown just like hair metal at the end of the 80s music needs an enima 

For me Pop music today suffers from a cronic lack of music. Its essentially programmed drums/beat with some low level bass or keyboard sample with vocals on top. Its almost hyper minimal - its simply a back beat.

I suspect this is because people are making it in their bedrooms with recording tools and its a lot easier to compose a beat and loop some samples if you don't play instruments. (As in anyone with a musical ear can tap out a beat but wouldn't be able to do shit with a keyboard or guitar unless you play it for years first)

Its not all of hip hop - as an easy example "Express yourself" by NWA has loads of musical hooks in it and the chorus is based around that sampled riff. (I'm ok with sampling if your chopping it up quite a lot).

Edited by life_247
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, silkchild said:

I really like it! And pleased to hear a version without Robin. Not knocking the talent he obviously has, or wanting to upset anyone, but I'm glad he's not in the Band anymore. Loved the 99 Chinese though too! Good times!! :D

According to Russ this song is actually about the first time he left the band, in 1999.

19 minutes ago, life_247 said:

For me Pop music today suffers from a cronic lack of music. Its essentially programmed drums/beat with some low level bass or keyboard sample with vocals on top. Its almost hyper minimal - its simply a back beat.

I suspect this is because people are making it in their bedrooms with recording tools and its a lot easier to compose a beat and loop some samples if you don't play instruments. (As in anyone with a musical ear can tap out a beat but wouldn't be able to do shit with a keyboard or guitar unless you play it for years first)

Its not all of hip hop - as an easy example "Express yourself" by NWA has loads of musical hooks in it and the chorus is based around that sampled riff. (I'm ok with sampling if your chopping it up quite a lot).

There's a lot of people out there like FKA twigs, Machinedrum, Jimmy Edgar etc. doing some really interesting things with a minimal electronic sound (Aphex Twin, anybody?)

But yeah, stuff like that doesn't get near the charts. Instead of intentional minimalism, it's simply lazy producers churning out product ASAP.

And the complete nothingness that is "mumble rap" gives risk of ear cancer.

1 minute ago, axlfans said:

this is a technical question. on audacity how do you turn the drums down? if i can tackle this then i'll have same great atlas shrugged remix as imsorry does!

You probably need something a bit more powerful than Audacity.

I assume Imsorry has done some form of mastering on the track (I don't think I've heard it but there is a slightly alterted version i've heard) - its probably a combination of EQ, and multi-band compressors etc. to give it a more polished sound and stop the drums cutting through. Its not as simple as just going "less drums please Mr Computer"

• GNFNR 1

6 minutes ago, axlfans said:

this is a technical question. on audacity how do you turn the drums down? if i can tackle this then i'll have same great atlas shrugged remix as imsorry does!

You can mess around with the EQ - adjusting certain frequencies can highlight or reduce certain elements of a mix, but it's nothing like working with the stems.

Edit: yeah, what @life_247 said

Edited by Azifwekare