ATLAS SHRUGGED - Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

12 minutes ago, life_247 said:

You probably need something a bit more powerful than Audacity.

I assume Imsorry has done some form of mastering on the track (I don't think I've heard it but there is a slightly alterted version i've heard) - its probably a combination of EQ, and multi-band compressors etc. to give it a more polished sound and stop the drums cutting through. Its not as simple as just going "less drums please Mr Computer"

Plus, the guitars are on the entire stereo field. So, you can't even isolate the center channel to raise or lower the drums.

1 hour ago, life_247 said:

For me Pop music today suffers from a cronic lack of music. Its essentially programmed drums/beat with some low level bass or keyboard sample with vocals on top. Its almost hyper minimal - its simply a back beat.

I suspect this is because people are making it in their bedrooms with recording tools and its a lot easier to compose a beat and loop some samples if you don't play instruments. (As in anyone with a musical ear can tap out a beat but wouldn't be able to do shit with a keyboard or guitar unless you play it for years first)

Its not all of hip hop - as an easy example "Express yourself" by NWA has loads of musical hooks in it and the chorus is based around that sampled riff. (I'm ok with sampling if your chopping it up quite a lot).

NWA was real rap this shit today is garbage

• Like 3

There's all these comments about how Atlas wouldn't be a hit, doesn't have catchy hooks or a chorus, etc. People saying an album needs to have a hit song to be successful, and that's why CD failed. That is simply put, not true. Look at Exile On Main St; it's one of the biggest albums of all time, with no real hit song. It does have one song that gets played at every Stones gig, another that gets played with high regularity, and a third that's played somewhat often, but that's the closest it came to spawning any "hits". Sometimes an album can be about the full picture, the album experience, and still be successful. The lack of a mega radio hit is not what kept CD from being more successful. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

Like I said fuck hits give me deep cuts

34 minutes ago, axlweave said:

NWA was real rap this shit today is garbage

Bunch of soundcloud rappers, mumbling.

Wiley's decent though.

13 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

There's all these comments about how Atlas wouldn't be a hit, doesn't have catchy hooks or a chorus, etc. People saying an album needs to have a hit song to be successful, and that's why CD failed. That is simply put, not true. Look at Exile On Main St; it's one of the biggest albums of all time, with no real hit song. It does have one song that gets played at every Stones gig, another that gets played with high regularity, and a third that's played somewhat often, but that's the closest it came to spawning any "hits". Sometimes an album can be about the full picture, the album experience, and still be successful. The lack of a mega radio hit is not what kept CD from being more successful. 

I firmly believe that Better would have been a massive hit if the music industry machine was behind GnR and Slash was on the track. And then songs like CD and TWAT would also still be getting radio play if Slash were on those tracks. He had some radio friendly songs (or rock radio in some cases), but the industry just wasn't behind what Axl was doing at the time.

• Like 1

You know i'm pissed off with the band, bla, bla.

But i need to say Atlas is a good song. Really, something different from the usual Axl Rose (not epic, not rock, not even industrial) is welcome. I like it, needs some work (it's just a demo) but is better than Scraped and even If The World. Not saying is a piece of art but, i think is a nice little song. And that's fine for me.

It's confirmed Brian May is making the solo @RussTCB?

Edited by fernomenoyde
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheHelgo said:

meh - finally heard Atlas, and it's ok but not a tune that I would play over and over again.  Nor would I get super pumped to hear it live.  Fits right in there with CITR, Prostitute, and other CD good but not great tunes.

Well, keep in mind that this is still technically the unfinished version... We both know songs from that era that leaked in 2006 remained identical when the album came out, but Axl did talk about Oh my god getting a complete new chorus and edit so who knows what he might have done with this in the 8 years after thois version. 

I think you're not completely off with your assessment, I wouldn't say "meh" though :P. It is good, but to me it sounds unfinished like there's a whole other section of this song that still needs to be written. This song with a better arrangement, great solo and some new vocals (in places) could be great! It's an overused thought on this forum, but Slash could do something great with this song. Lawd praise the curly haired one!

Not a hit song, but I totally agree with powerage, there are so many great albums that don't have hit singles ready for radio. Why do Guns need to have a radio hit anyway? is it so we can say "told you Guns are still popular" to all our friends that laugh about them? personally I'll take a great guns record with no hits over a record where they are chasing their tails looking for hits... can't ever imagine Axl making that record though, so nothing to worry about.

23 minutes ago, fernomenoyde said:

You know i'm pissed off with the band, bla, bla.

But i need to say Atlas is a good song. Really, something different from the usual Axl Rose (not epic, not rock, not even industrial) is welcome. I like it, needs some work (it's just a demo) but is better than Scraped and even If The World. Not saying is a piece of art but, i think is a nice little song. And that's fine for me.

It's confirmed Brian May is making the solo @RussTCB?

I don't know if it's confirmed, but it sure sounds like him at the end to me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

If Brian isn't in the allegedly reworked Atlas, i would be disappointed. It sounds great, and imagine the media: "Guns N' Roses release new song with Slash and Brian May." Instant hit.

Judging by the demographics I saw at the NITL shows, kids today would go "who, who and who?"