ATLAS SHRUGGED - Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

9 hours ago, Italian girl said:

NO no no and no!

Haha don’t get me wrong, I’m in no way a fan of her, I’m just saying that she does have a raspy voice, I’d be curious what it would sound like beside Axl. She did a song with Bret Michaels a few years ago and it had some really good harmony’s. As a fan of her dad, I’d dig something from Axl featuring Billy Ray Cyrus. BRC does country and rap, why not some Rock? 

11 minutes ago, mikeman5150 said:

Haha don’t get me wrong, I’m in no way a fan of her, I’m just saying that she does have a raspy voice, I’d be curious what it would sound like beside Axl. She did a song with Bret Michaels a few years ago and it had some really good harmony’s. As a fan of her dad, I’d dig something from Axl featuring Billy Ray Cyrus. BRC does country and rap, why not some Rock? 

I just threw up in my mouth.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nicklord said:

DAMN is a just a really good modern rap. You may or may not like it (I don't except 4-5 songs) but To Pimp A Butterfly is just a stone cold classic on a first listen. You really should listen to that album, especially if you like Anderson .Paak

I've listened to a few songs from that album but never really properly sat and listened to it (same with GKMC). I think .Paak is miles above Kendrick as a musician, and Kendrick has said that .Paak was an influence on him. (He's mentioned 'Breezy Lovejoy' which was .Paak's previous stage-name.) Take the song 'Tints' from .Paak's album Oxnard, Kendrick is the 'guest star' but for me he brings the song down. His voice and phrasing is 'unique' I guess but I don't like it.

Anderson .Paak and Yelawolf are among my favourite's because they can both sing and rap really well and are really versatile musically. Yelawolf is one of he best rappers out there IMO, his flow is great, but his singing voice is also great on songs like Row Your Boat or Your Little Man. And obviously .Paak has that smooth, soulful singing voice.

/on topic, I've listened to Atlas a few more times now and I think it works really well between TWAT and Prostitute (3), it's clearly a demo but it's still cool to listen to. I'd hate to think what 20 years of tinkering did to this song though...

23 hours ago, Mangler said:

I like it, because I like it, not because of some arbitrary reason., like most here. Your post has the best of both worlds, a definitive statement, contradicted by another definitive statement. Win, win!!!! 

I get that you might be disappointed by it, you thought it was heavy and dark, but come on, that's your fault, dude! No one ever said it was heavy and dark! But fair do's, sorry you don't dig it, but don't have a pop at us who do! :headbang: I never had any preconceptions about this track, so I just took it for what it is, but I do have preconceptions about The General, so if that turns out like Atlas, I'll probably feel a bit like you do now!

There is a tuned up version about, you sure it's not just that? 

Good for you :) 

Idk know if i've heard the tuned up version or some other version.. gonna listned to the song once again with my headphones instead :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Russel Nash said:

It's Brian, it's pretty much a solo from the Another World era, i mean the style and tone. BUT.. somehow the solo feels edited and pro tooled.

It's a sin to touch a BM solo.

From around the same era:

Great song, I didnt know it.

Yeah I know its totally a May solo, even though the beginning is kinda muddy with many low notes and lacking a bit of definition. But it doesnt sound like Robin at all to me.

47 minutes ago, lantern said:

https://soundtrackny2011.blogspot.com/

it's being talked about in the other thread

LOL at a guy who somehow know how to hack an FTP server but just can't post a text on blogger without fucking up the layout.

5 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Has anyone mapped out the chords for this song yet

Well, I did back with the 1 minute clip. Hope it helps. Someone may want to get the rest of the song or correct me if I'm wrong:

On 01/09/2019 at 4:42 PM, Voodoochild said:

Not at all. Atlas has at least three different keys.

Considering the 1 min clip and the usual Eb tuning, Atlas' chord progression is G, and then B - C - D and then F in this 1st part. I'm calling it F, but I don't really know what is the name of this chord, but it's like this:

-------3-----
-------3-----
-------2-----
-------3-----
-------------
-------------

In fact, every one of those chords have the pedal in the 3rd fret on the E and B chords.

But it changes to another chord progression when Axl sings: "Well it sits wrong and the road is long". It's F# - C - A - G and Bm- F# - G - A.

And it changes again to another progression when Axl sings "I'd be the last to say don't follow your heart". It's something like D - D/B - A - Em - A - G, and then goes back to D as it cuts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Lol so this mysterious Atlas Shrugged song I've been reading about on this forum for over 3 years now finally leaks, and it's not that good. That's a downer

I think it was screwed by the hype.  In the insanity laden world that is GnR fans, it was labeled a big gun and November Rain Part 2 and people just got more and more insane for it.  We had a thread a while ago where people listed unheard songs by how badly they wanted to hear them and I maintained it was a stupid premise... Ranking songs by virtue of their name and a few offhand comments that the song is "epic" or a "rocker" is so flawed and stupid.  Atlas, and The General will never live up to their hype. Completely fictional, made up wishful thinking speculation and hype.

The premise that Atlas Shrugged was grail to people who had no idea what it sounded like is so ridiculous, and yet, so GnR fanbase.  

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

10 hours ago, default_ said:

I honestly think GNR isnt the band to do these kinds of duets, Pink was a cringe moment for me. Its enough.

Not sure if you were at the show, but I was. It was a cool moment when she came out and sang the end of Patience. It was something different and totally unexpected. 

I’m with those that say the song is not that good but I’ve only listened to it twice, so maybe it is one of those slow-burners that take a while to like but end up being great - but I doubt it. I know I’m spoilt however because I grew up with AFD, the most amazing rock album ever. I think a lot of you just start foaming at the mouth in love with anything unheard because we are so starved of Axl’s music and have been for a long time. Still, I would buy an album of Axl singing Christmas carols just to hear his vocals and incredible sense of melody. 

Finally heard this so my thoughts...

It has the makings of a great song, but not quite there.

The first minute or so (the "verse"?) is actually very good, but it loses its way with the chorus (?) section which is jarringly squeezed against the verse section without much though, and has a meandering forgettable vocal melody. This is the bit I think that most resembles CITR - not only is the vocal style similar, but the jarring non-linear song structure (lack of clear verse chorus- which isn't necessarily a bad thing at all, think Tool), doesn't really work and the sections feel bolted together almost as if from different songs.

It also feels rushed - the sections rush from one to another with an almost constant vocal, it needs more breathing space.

I also don't get the seemingly random dropped and added beats - great idea when done well, and I've been desperate for GnR to try this, but (other than in the "verse" bit in the first minute) it doesn't work.

The song it desperately needs a producer to reign in the song and work on the structure, not just adjust the drum levels.

Totally get the comparisons with Pearl Jam (the missed beats etc - very Matt Cameron, and meandering vocal).

Heard it few more times, and I think that is a good song, but could be better. I like more the versus than the chorus, but the two are good enought. Hope we have new music officialy release this year.

The best for me is that this song and Hard School shows that Chinese Democracy is made only with the best tracks, Bach said there are a lot of songs more and he was true.

Up to 2:17 I think it’s really strong. After that (other than the Brian May solo) it sounds like they were still working out where to take it and just copy and pasted bits from the first half randomly together.

A weak ending that would struggle to rouse anything other than polite, sympathetic applause from the hardcore at a concert.

I didn't even believe that the synth arpeggio intro was 'real' at first. Like WTF is going on?!?! I like it, its just so very, very prog.

When the vocals come in theres that nice ascending 3 notes. Its driving me crazy - where is that from?? Its so familiar. Is it actually from a PJ tune? Intro and verse remind me of early Peter Gabriel a little bit.

Goodness gracious me, that is a tasty guitar solo!!! :headbang:

If the chorus was more in the same vein as the verses it would be that much better imho.