ATLAS SHRUGGED - Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

After spending a few days with this song, I think it’s quite great, especially for a rough cut. 

Axl was 36 or 37 when he wrote this? I am basically that age now and it’s cool to hear how his music and lyrics progressed as he had aged and became an adult. I am glad it’s not a song about how he’s drunk on an expensive Bordeaux (vs nightrain when he was a poor shlub)

The only thing that sucks is we didn’t get to experience this as it was intended or in the era it was written 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, nycgunner said:

After spending a few days with this song, I think it’s quite great, especially for a rough cut. 

Axl was 36 or 37 when he wrote this? I am basically that age now and it’s cool to hear how his music and lyrics progressed as he had aged and became an adult. I am glad it’s not a song about how he’s drunk on an expensive Bordeaux (vs nightrain when he was a poor shlub)

The only thing that sucks is we didn’t get to experience this as it was intended or in the era it was written 

The true crime for all of this IMO, is that none of it was released when it could've or should've been.

There's so much of a "what could've been" feeling that comes with hearing this stuff, it's not even funny. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

The true crime for all of this IMO, is that none of it was released when it could've or should've been.

There's so much of a "what could've been" feeling that comes with hearing this stuff, it's not even funny. 

So much this. Just imagine dropping this in 2001 as 4 separate albums that form a set. It'd be mad. And I think it would have worked back then too. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 2

1 hour ago, Gibbo said:

Best part of the song on the latest leak for me is form 1:38 to 1:58 and the solos is good too. After about 1000 listens :lol: I still think it could be a good single probably not epic but still go alright.

If they drop the repetitive chorus and insert some more verses, get Slash on it to do an extra solo and keep May, it could be a great hit. 

Axl could’ve literally matched his previous band’s output with a triple release sometime between 99-01, and proved everybody wrong with a brand new band. Could’ve followed it with a massive tour. Could’ve pulled off something unprecedented and started over with a brand new band and created a whole new legacy, and still would’ve had plenty of time to reunite with original members at some point and continue legacy of original band. Could’ve, could’ve, could’ve. 

• GNFNR 1

2 minutes ago, YourMother'sDruthers said:

Axl could’ve literally matched his previous band’s output with a triple release sometime between 99-01, and proved everybody wrong with a brand new band. Could’ve followed it with a massive tour. Could’ve pulled off something unprecedented and started over with a brand new band and created a whole new legacy, and still would’ve had plenty of time to reunite with original members at some point and continue legacy of original band. Could’ve, could’ve, could’ve. 

I wonder if Axl regrets the path he took.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

People need to remember that Axl was dealing with a lot of lawsuits back then in regards to the band name which no doubt held up the release.

Plus the label trying to force his hand towards a reuinion. Hence why they rejected the 2010 album, they didn't want to waste the last contracted release and let some other label reap the benefits of a possible reunion album later down the line. CD was only released because the Best Buy deal gave them a chance to instantly make their $13 mil back.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Finally heard this so my thoughts...

It has the makings of a great song, but not quite there.

The first minute or so (the "verse"?) is actually very good, but it loses its way with the chorus (?) section which is jarringly squeezed against the verse section without much though, and has a meandering forgettable vocal melody. This is the bit I think that most resembles CITR - not only is the vocal style similar, but the jarring non-linear song structure (lack of clear verse chorus- which isn't necessarily a bad thing at all, think Tool), doesn't really work and the sections feel bolted together almost as if from different songs.

It also feels rushed - the sections rush from one to another with an almost constant vocal, it needs more breathing space.

I also don't get the seemingly random dropped and added beats - great idea when done well, and I've been desperate for GnR to try this, but (other than in the "verse" bit in the first minute) it doesn't work.

The song it desperately needs a producer to reign in the song and work on the structure, not just adjust the drum levels.

Totally get the comparisons with Pearl Jam (the missed beats etc - very Matt Cameron, and meandering vocal).

Yeah, I agree the parts don't work great together. They seem a bit jammed together. I like the parts individually, but as a whole piece it's a bit of a mess. Great in parts but I'd hope they he took a second pass on the arrangement of this song. 

2 hours ago, megaguns1982 said:

People need to remember that Axl was dealing with a lot of lawsuits back then in regards to the band name which no doubt held up the release.

He should have just released the music and toured under his own name. There is a reason why many people tried to talk him into doing this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Azifwekare said:

Plus the label trying to force his hand towards a reuinion. Hence why they rejected the 2010 album, they didn't want to waste the last contracted release and let some other label reap the benefits of a possible reunion album later down the line. CD was only released because the Best Buy deal gave them a chance to instantly make their $13 mil back.

Are you sure they only owe one more record? 

Based on Atlas and to a lesser degree HS I think that Jack Irons was an influence on Axls vision. I think that based on the Tom-Tom grooves on Atlas.

So theres the 'wanted to sound like Pearl Jam' thing and Jack Irons - another Fairfax student - was associated with Pearl Jam since 94 (picking up slack for future Guns drum collaborated Dave Abruzes). Jack played on 96's No Code and 98's Yield with songs like Up in My Tree and Given to Fly featuring a lot of driving tom-tom grooves through out the songs. The tom-tom grooves play during verses and chorus' in a way that was usually reserved for riffs and intros in classic guns.

Axl had said in (around) 94 that he wanted to let Matt "go off" on the next record. The Snakepit tracks that were intended for Guns indeed feature Matt doing a lot of tom-tom grooves. (not foreign to Guns with Brown Stone and YCBM being major touchstones, but again, a different use of tom grooves to my ears)

The whole tom-tom thing might explain the rumour that there was aspects of Korn influencing the project too. Because Korn in that era was almost exclusively tom-tom grooves.

Sorry if anyones already noted the possible Jack Irons pearl jam style. :) 

Also if you like Atlas, you might like this by Plant (2002) :headbang:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Gackt said:

The thing is, if Axl was proud of this piece of music he put together, he'd at least take the chance to perform it at a concert or two.  That Tokyo Dome show would have been even more legendary if for the encore, the band performed these songs lost to time.

or would have prioritized it for CD.

Thats why i don't think Axl is holding back anything special because he had years and years to work on music and if he truly had something like Estranged he would have released it on Chinese.

Edited by -W.A.R-

5 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I wonder if Axl regrets the path he took.

He might...

It would have been much easier to just call a GnR "hiatus" and release a solo album.

And it would have fitted better. Axl clearly wanted to make different music and the material on Chinese and also a song like Atlas, would be received differently by people like me.

I liked the original band and their sound. A departure from that makes me think "this is not Guns N Roses".

Atlas Shrugged is very much a weird blend of sounds, Axl trying to find / rediscover himself.

Which is fine as an Axl Rose song.

I gave it another listen, still don't like it... but would he released it under his own name I would have thought "okay, whatever, if he likes this good for him".

And artists need this... they need a break from their main band and do something else every now and then.

Lots of artists do this... and quite often I don't like their solo material as much and that's fine (Chris Cornell's Scream comes to mind... I adored Cornell, still do, but that album did nothing for me). But it's fine because I know they'll be back performing what I love someday (it doesn't mean "a new direction" for the band).

Axl really took the hard road... 

Edited by Lethalis