ATLAS SHRUGGED - Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

On 15/09/2019 at 12:59 AM, RONIN said:

Fascinating track.:blink: Very "Use Your Illusion III"

This is the type of song I was thinking we'd hear from Chinese Democracy way way back in the early 00's when I became a fan.

Definitely the most interesting leak for me since Catcher in 2006.

And how about "Perhaps"? What do you think?

• Like 1

The song’s definitely been growing on me. Especially the beginning, with the vocal melody, the drums played on tom-toms, and the rhythm guitars. I’m not crazy about the violent changes later on in the song, but the beginning... 
It reeks of fresh possibilities and things that could have been... but didn’t really come to fruition. It suggests a parallel reality where a double CD was released in 2001, followed by another record soon after; a world where Guns were touring this new shit constantly (and later reunited around 2006), where no one’s ever heard of D. Trump or old forests burning.
Instead, we got what we got in our reality, and I guess we’re here to learn some lessons. 
Yeah, all of this I got from the first verses... :D 

50 minutes ago, bt88 said:

The best word I can think of to describe this song is toothless. The cadence just sounds like something a pop rock band wrote. It feels really hokey.  

off cadence is the most common problem for other leaks. this one is perfect imo. especially when the songs gets proper mix. 

Edited by username05

On 9/16/2019 at 1:44 PM, Guitto said:

And how about "Perhaps"? What do you think?

I like the verses, kind of a "meh" chorus, killer guitarwork from May(?) - overall it's got potential in its current state but doesn't feel fully realized yet. Hope we get to see this one in a completed form with Duff and Slash. 

• GNFNR 1

On 16/9/2019 at 7:25 PM, Gnrfan2001 said:

The beginning is very strong and the first minute or so has a decent singalong but I do not like the key changes or the lyrics much words not much said

Agreed.

1st minute is very strong, then a plate full of copy pasta. That combined with a key change makes for a really jarring transition.

Easily the track (from the leaks) with the most potential, strong writing from Axl. 

This is an INCREDIBLY raw version, the intro is a non-faded midi-melody that would no doubt be changed for a release, I'm also convinced it's a studio levelled capture (not mixed with extra FX/EQ's etc, nowhere near mastered). 

With a litte more instrumentation the first half would realllly shine.

Worthy of being alongside Catcher and The Blues

Edited by SMG

On 9/13/2019 at 1:46 PM, History2010 said:

Incredible. I wonder how many other "jams" and instrumental moments like that will end up being actual songs once all the material eventually leaks.

This sounds nothing like Atlas, any part of Atlas, either in the chords being played or the melody being played. It does sound somewhat like a more fleshed out As It Began, though.

• 5 months later...
2 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

Atlas Shrugged, Hardschool & Perhaps are all top tier GNR tracks.  

I'd add State Of Grace to that list. But then again the demo's for most of the CD tracks are still eabsolutely awesome as well. They really had an awful lot of potential. If they'd continued that level with the vocals added to the instrumentals, I'm sure there's another couple of absolute beasts in the vaults. 

Makes the CD release all the more depressing. 

Edited by username
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

7 minutes ago, username said:

I'd add State Of Grace to that list. But then again the demo's for most of the CD tracks are still eabsolutely awesome as well. They really had an awful lot of potential. If they'd continued that level with the vocals added to the instrumentals, I'm sure there's another couple of absolute beasts in the vaults. 

My only problem with SOG is that it is damn near impossible to decipher what Axl's singing in certain spots, particularly during that breakdown.  Though as a demo it's definitely solid.

And I agree, it's a crime that these songs have been collecting dust for 20 years, and really gives us a glimpse into the behind the scenes mania that's been crippling this band for the last two decades.

Edited by sofine11

1 hour ago, sofine11 said:

My only problem with SOG is that it is damn near impossible to decipher what Axl's singing in certain spots, particularly during that breakdown.  Though as a demo it's definitely solid.

And I agree, it's a crime that these songs have been collecting dust for 20 years, and really gives us a glimpse into the behind the scenes mania that's been crippling this band for the last two decades.

I would love to hear a finished Sate of Grace. Awesome song. That breakdown is probably one of Axl's finest moments vocally.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1