ATLAS SHRUGGED - Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

3 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Listening to Atlas again. 

I really like Brain's drumming on it.

What are the odds they keep Brains drums on the final version, presumably on the next record? We know Bumblefoot re-recorded the guitar solo, so the one we hear by Brian May is gone. My guess is they will have Slash re-record the solo, if not the entire lead guitar track. Keeping May's solo would be more likely than using anything by Bumblefoot at this point. lol

I thought Brain's drumming on the title track (Chinese Democracy) was great, all that work to duplicate the Nirvana drums on Smells Like Teen Spirit, only to have Frank re-record the entire drum track. So who knows...

The version with Brain behind the kit is like Brownstone on steroids. It has a phenomenal groove and was the first thing I noticed with the early snippets we got. Could you imagine how shitty it would be for Frank to give 15 years of service, yet for Axl still to use 20 year old drum recordings from Brain on a new record? I hope he does :lol:

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Axl: I also have a kick ass rocker Slash: Is it about me? Axl:...

I cannot wait for Soul Monster to leak so I can spend a disproportionate amount of time arguing with it.

In other words we can conclude it is entirely safe to leak. Let me repeat: IT IS ENTIRELY SAFE TO LEAK.

14 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Given it is purely subjective, the width of my shoulders is somewhat irrelevant. Though I am told I am broad. Perhaps (pun intended) I'll just never have the right credentials to join that elitist GNR fan group though...

How much you bench bro?😄

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, 19AT5 said:

Am I the only one who thinks Atlas Shrugged is just not all that good?! Heard it a few times and didn't think much of it. At all.

It was underwhelming, after it being drummed up (no pun intended) for years as being something really special, it fell short of my expectations. I think of it as below the level of Catcher, which I like, but it not my favorite.

Hardschool and Perhaps killed it. Hardschool was way better than I expected based on the leaked 2006 clip of it.

I think it was Tom Zutaut who thought Atlas would have made a good single. I can't believe someone who had access to songs like Hardschool, Perhaps, and others would think that. I don't know if Tom heard a "finished" Better or Zodiac 13, but those would have been good single material too. 

It blows my mind CD was picked as a single or for radio play in 2008.

Edited by Sweersa
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, Dean said:

The version with Brain behind the kit is like Brownstone on steroids. It has a phenomenal groove and was the first thing I noticed with the early snippets we got. Could you imagine how shitty it would be for Frank to give 15 years of service, yet for Axl still to use 20 year old drum recordings from Brain on a new record? I hope he does :lol:

Hahaha yes, it would be hilarious. What a mess, such stellar instrumental performances wasted, only to be replaced by sub-par performances, but that remains to be seen. Hopefully they knock it out of the park. I'm still hopeful they keep some of the original (or best) work intact from the CD-era members and have Slash do a solo here and there like what Bumblefoot did when he fucked up worked on 2008's CD. In Ron's defense, some of his stuff was good.

If they keep some (or most, please God be most) of Brain's drums, and some of the best Bucket and Robin work, I'll be one smiling motherfucker when I listen to CD2 with Slash, Duff, Frank, and Melissa on it.

• GNFNR 1
4 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Hahaha yes, it would be hilarious. What a mess, such stellar instrumental performances wasted, only to be replaced by sub-par performances, but that remains to be seen. Hopefully they knock it out of the park. I'm still hopeful they keep some of the original (or best) work intact from the CD-era members and have Slash do a solo here and there like what Bumblefoot did when he fucked up worked on 2008's CD. In Ron's defense, some of his stuff was good.

If they keep some (or most, please God be most) of Brain's drums, and some of the best Bucket and Robin work, I'll be one smiling motherfucker when I listen to CD2 with Slash, Duff, Frank, and Melissa on it.

In an ideal world, I'd want the rest of CDII untouched, with Stinson, Finck, Bucket and the rest of them all over it. Realistically, I know it's not going to happen but Slash and Duff will still shine on a new record, I have every faith in that and I can't imagine Axl punting out a record that won't be up to standard. A reasonable consolation for me though would be seeing the likes of Tobias etc among the songwriting credits, as those guys deserve the recognition for the stellar work they came up with when the Chinese sessions got underway and I hope the material, in some form, sees the light of day sometime soon!

Anything released under the Guns N' Roses banner with Axl Rose singing and DJ Ashba not on guitar, sign me up for!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, 19AT5 said:

Am I the only one who thinks Atlas Shrugged is just not all that good?! Heard it a few times and didn't think much of it. At all.

It's not earth shattering, but I like it. Biggest complaint about the version we've heard is the way it's choppy between the verses, the vocal doesn't always fit that well in terms of rhythm, like take a breath. I guarantee he'd sound like he does on TWAT live, trying to sing this. Why does be paint himself into a corner with this stuff??

There are great parts, but ultimately this would be a weaker song on chinese as it stands. And if this is the final structure, it's a bit too close to catcher so I get why they chopped it at the last minute. 

I'd hope the arrangement has been tweaked a good bit and Axl has re-sang it with a bit more Axl(isms) by the time we hear it. 

Final thought, Axl was listening to a lot of 'Burden in my hand' era soundgarden and this was the result. 6/10 because there's a good song in there somewhere. A great slash solo, sort of the choppy verses and it's a winner. 

On 9/6/2019 at 7:19 PM, Powerage5 said:

There's all these comments about how Atlas wouldn't be a hit, doesn't have catchy hooks or a chorus, etc. People saying an album needs to have a hit song to be successful, and that's why CD failed. That is simply put, not true. Look at Exile On Main St; it's one of the biggest albums of all time, with no real hit song. It does have one song that gets played at every Stones gig, another that gets played with high regularity, and a third that's played somewhat often, but that's the closest it came to spawning any "hits". Sometimes an album can be about the full picture, the album experience, and still be successful. The lack of a mega radio hit is not what kept CD from being more successful. 

Bro I just came across your post, but seriously do you compare Chinese democracy with exile on main Street?? CD is shit no wonder why Axl didn't want to realeas it. Exile was not so popular upon realease but years later it become a landmark album not only for the Rolling Stones but for rock roll in general, Chinese democracy 13 years later doesn't grow up in fans hearts and let's be honest still sounds mediocre, to me is a record that  I Iisten once in 2 years full album that makes 6 times that I listen to it from it's November 2008 release, Exile on main Street I listen once a month, and I don't agree that it has only one hit song, rip this joint, sweet virginia, all down the line, happy, loving cup, shine a light these are played often on Rolling Stones concerts, can't say this about Chinese democracy songs nowdays

6 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

I think it's lyrically better than some of the other leaks, but it is boring as hell and meanders along for too long. 

• Like 1

I think it's an OK song but it really doesn't sound like GnR to me. 

It would definitely need a bit of work to make it more interesting in my opinion.

I think the love for it is more an indication that we are getting desperate.

Out of every song that leaked, Atlas Shrugged by far has the most play time for me. I still wouldn't call it my favorite of the leaked songs, but I love the vibe of it and its been a regular listen of mine since it first got leaked

9 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

I like it overall, but think that it is more of a cool idea than it is something that is a great song.  Like with a bit of re-arranging and reworking I could see it being a solid tune but to me it just doesn't quite reach its potential

15 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

To me it's almost a killer song. But the chorus melody is very blah. For that reason - I don't think it would have been a good single.

This is probably the one song I've listened to most in the last 18 months since it leaked by any artist. Love the song, even it is isn't perfect, probably because I'm a huge Axl fan and desperate to hear his music. If it were a SMKC song, I'd definitely like it but probably not to the same level!

Also think I may be in the minority here but I prefer the Josh drums - simpler, cleaner and serves the song better IMO.

• GNFNR 1
16 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

I totally agree.  the version I heard sounds like an electronic turd that would be better flushed away than to let sit around. 

maybe there's a better version out there that actually is good, but I haven't heard it

Atlas, Perhaps & Hard School are all top tier rock songs.  They don't reinvent the genre, but they don't need to.  Any one of them would have elevated the 2008 album. 

If the spirit ever moves Axl to release music publicly again, I'd love to see Slash and Duff take HS for a spin.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Song is bland, tedious garbage. The only CD track this could have replaced is IRS, which I barely consider music, just a bunch of guitar noise with an Axl rant plastered on top.

Yeah, ice cream sucks too!! Such garbage!

Just tried listening to it again... I'll admit the guitar solo in the middle is quite cool, but the rest is just too bloody happy for my liking! :P State of Grace however is actually no bad. I quite like that one. 

17 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Don't forget Pitman's sub-bass and Tobias's original demo guitar tracks from 1990's! I'd also keep Stinson's bass tracks and just double track with Duff! No offence meant of course, but what you described there is just... absolutely awful, in my opinion. It didn't really work the first time, so I doubt a second crack at the whip using the same approach would make things any better. It also stinks of a lack of creativity. This is a band that tours the world, charges you a fortune to come listen, has three original members in it, but can't put an album together without using tracks recorded by members who left the band almost 20 years ago? 

Must soon be that time of the week for somebody to cry out for a double, triple, quadruple or quintuple album?!!??