ATLAS SHRUGGED - Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

Just now, D.. said:

I got the shotgun blues, shotgun blues.

Come on man. Lyrics are fucking fantasting, the May solo is golden, the chord progression is unusual. Give it a few more listens! ; )

I will for sure, and I'm maybe being a little harsh, but I can't think of a GNR song I've ever been more lukewarm on really. 

Atlas sounds nice. It makes me feel nice.

(Axl should've released an EP or a short album of these kind of songs under his own name. Not that I don't like Chinese Democracy, but songs like Atlas, Catcher, the Blues, If the World and I.R.S. with simplistic production would've been the perfect way for him to find his solo sound and still do these epic-esque songs. Then he could've done a rock EP with Chinese Democracy, Oh My God etc. One can hope.)

2 minutes ago, TeeJay410 said:

Imagine if we had this, hardschool, and a finished goin down on the album instead of scraped, if the world, and shackler's or whatever.

What is clear is that there is definitely an album that is not so far off track of what gnr feels like as opposed to what ultimately got released.

Keep Shackler's, scrap Riad

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lies They Tell said:

The General is the holy grail. But be prepared to be disappointed with that one as well. I know it could never live up to my expectations. :lol:

This one on the other hand. I really had no expectations, so I like it.

I think the solo is great tho, really pearl jam-esque. 

The song isnt baad and I believe it will eventually grown on me, but we were all expecting a huge epic song and when we get a gentle grungy song it doesnt match the expectations. 

Edited by default_

Just now, allwaystired said:

I will for sure, and I'm maybe being a little harsh, but I can't think of a GNR song I've ever been more lukewarm on really. 

Really? Damn... I could name you a lot : p Personally I absolutely love Atlas' lyrics (may have minor things wrong about them), May's parts, and Axl's voice on this track. It sure needs a better mix and clearer vocals. I'm sure the current band can improve on what we have here (as long as they keep Brian's work).

I don't know how to put it but Axl from that era... I have so much sympathy for him. I can relate to him so much. This is what it is to be human. I don't have his fame, I don't work in the same field, but I can relate so much to him. Like a lot of other people can. That's why we love him so much. You'd think he wouldn't encounter most troubles we've all dealt with given his position. But he has. He was in a very dark place at this time. I find it amazing that he found a way to put all of his anger, his fears, his desperation, basically everything in those CD era songs.

Songs like "14 years", "Shotgun blues", "Back off bitch", "Anything goes", "You ain't the first", "So fine", "Pretty tied up" and a few others are what I would call average and almost garbage songs to be honest. I have zero care for that kind of song. I might be a bit harsh on 14 years cause the lyrics have some ironical value now. But yeah, I don't dig almost half of UYI and some of AFD. It's not perfect on CD either, "If the world" "Scraped" or "Riad" are not "great songs" imo. 

But Atlas & Hard School. FUCK. I would have taken them any day over Riad & Scrap. Any day. Fucking amazing stuff.

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

3 hours ago, there is no dana only zool said:

Hearing this is depressing a little because it reminds me of just how horridly shit today's "popular" music is.  The closest to quality we have today for new bands' rock music is just revival/retro/throwback type stuff.  That's better than nothing but I just can't see quality music like this being consistent, again.  Sad.

There're sooo many good rock bands out there it's not even funny

• Like 1

Honestly, after listening to the last leaks Im glad we got what we have on CD, stuff like Scrapped, Shacklers and Riad gives diversity to the album and contributes on different approaches. Hardschool and Atlas would make it sound even more incoherent. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nicklord said:

There're sooo many good rock bands out there it's not even funny

Please give me the names of rock bands that still put out great songs (except the very famous ones like NIN, Muse etc).

I find rock music absolutely garbage nowadays. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, D.. said:

Really? Damn... I could name you a lot : p Personally I absolutely love Atlas' lyrics (may have minor things wrong about them), May's parts, and Axl's voice on this track. It sure needs a better mix and clearer vocals. I'm sure the current band can improve on what we have here (as long as they keep Brian's work).

I don't know how to put it but Axl from that era... I have so much sympathy for him. I can relate to him so much. This is what it is to be human. I don't have his fame, I don't work in the same field, but I can relate so much to him. Like a lot of other people can. That's why we love him so much. You'd think he wouldn't encounter most troubles we've all dealt with given his position. But he has. He was in a very dark place at this time. I find it amazing that he found a way to put all of his anger, his fears, his desperation, basically everything in those CD era songs.

Songs like "14 years", "Shotgun blues", "Back off bitch", "Anything goes", "You ain't the first", "So fine", "Pretty tied up" and a few others are what I would call average and almost garbage songs to be honest. I have zero care for that kind of song. I might be a bit harsh on 14 years cause the lyrics have some ironical value now. But yeah, I don't dig almost half of UYI and some of AFD. It's not perfect on CD either, "If the world" "Scraped" or "Riad" are not "great songs" imo. 

But Atlas & Hard School. FUCK. I would have taken them any day over Riad & Scrap. Any day. Fucking amazing stuff.

Haha- that list of songs you don't like is the total opposite of 'average and almost garbage' to me! Some of my favourite GNR songs in there! Ah well! 

I agree on the CD era songs in general though. It's always been an incredible album to me and I've never understood the criticism it's always had. 

1 minute ago, default_ said:

Honestly, after listening to the last leaks Im glad we got what we have on CD, stuff like Scrapped, Shacklers and Riad gives diversity to the album and contributes on different approaches. Hardschool and Atlas would make it sound even more incoherent. 

While i agree that Riad/Scraped/Shackler's provide a unique element to CD, Atlas and Hardschool sound more inline with the ballads and rockers of the album. Atlas would fit nicely with SOD, CITR and Prostitute while Hardschool would fit nicely with IRS, Better and Chinese Democracy.

3 minutes ago, D.. said:

Please give me the names of rock bands that still put out great songs (except the very famous ones like NIN, Muse etc).

Don't make me say it...

Greta Van Fleet! :P

Only joking, they're not that great. 

Alice in Chains put out some great stuff recently.

• Like 2

I’ve not had time to listen to it with a proper  pair of headphones, but I reckon this is a mash of the Brian May version with the Bumble version (with his channel wiped out). Something definitely up somewhere.

I can’t get that intro out my head.

Had it blaring driving to work this morning.

4 minutes ago, D.. said:

I like Whiskey Myers.

That said, it's about the only band I can think of for now that feels "new" to me.

1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

Haha- that list of songs you don't like is the total opposite of 'average and almost garbage' to me! Some of my favourite GNR songs in there! Ah well! 

I agree on the CD era songs in general though. It's always been an incredible album to me and I've never understood the criticism it's always had. 

Alright hahaha ; ) That's funny having tastes so different yet loving the same band! No problem here. I've listened to UYI countless times, but I have issues loving those specific songs I named, + Bad Apples (and maybe I'm forgetting others I don't like). My fav UYI tracks: Coma, You Could Be Mine, Estranged, November Rain, Locomotive, Breakdown, Don't Damn Me, Double Takin' Jive and The Garden. I absolutely LOVE those songs. The rest, doesn't work as much for me. I do love "classic Axl" on there though, and I don't mind watching lives with songs I don't dig so much since Axl looks & sounds so great.

I think that part of people's appreciation in old Gn'r stuff is that Axl looked extremely iconic, almost like he came out from a comic book. He looked like his "classic" self and sang in a very specific way. And Slash was still in the band.

On CD, he's alone with a new band, looked very different, and took a lot of risks vocally & lyrically. I appreciate the risk ; ) It takes guts to look naked and despaired when you've had it all.

4 minutes ago, Dean said:

I’ve not had time to listen to it with a proper  pair of headphones, but I reckon this is a mash of the Brian May version with the Bumble version (with his channel wiped out). Something definitely up somewhere.

I can’t get that intro out my head.

Had it blaring driving to work this morning.

Really? I dont think so, this is from the locker Cds so, 99-00

Honestly I have no idea how you could even play this live with the key changes that sound like real time pro tools detuning and vocals/instruments that play over each other. One wonders why Axl was writing songs that couldn't be performed live as recorded. 

Just now, default_ said:

Really? I dont think so, this is from the locker Cds so, 99-00

There is really sharp edits in parts of the song, and after the first verse when the guitar comes in, it seems as if it’s a different mix. At least to my ears.

2 minutes ago, D.. said:

Alright hahaha ; ) That's funny having tastes so different yet loving the same band! No problem here. I've listened to UYI countless times, but I have issues loving those specific songs I named, + Bad Apples (and maybe I'm forgetting others I don't like). My fav UYI tracks: Coma, You Could Be Mine, Estranged, November Rain, Locomotive, Breakdown, Don't Damn Me, Double Takin' Jive and The Garden. I absolutely LOVE those songs. The rest, doesn't work as much for me. I do love "classic Axl" on there though, and I don't mind watching lives with songs I don't dig so much since Axl looks & sounds so great.

I think that part of people's appreciation in old Gn'r stuff is that Axl looked extremely iconic, almost like he came out from a comic book. He looked like his "classic" self and sang in a very specific way. And Slash was still in the band.

On CD, he's alone with a new band, looked very different, and took a lot of risks vocally & lyrically. I appreciate the risk ; ) It takes guts to look naked and despaired when you've had it all.

Oh, Bad Apples- yeah not really a fan of that one! 

Yeah, I always appreciate how people can get different things from the same band- and value different songs more. 

I always think of CD as one of the only big rock albums that took the sound further in the era it was released- which I think is perhaps why I'm not that fussed about Atlas at the moment maybe, as I'm not sure it does that? 

1 minute ago, AxlSlashthebest said:

So i't not Slash at the guitard ?

Are you joking there?!