Silkworms FULL LEAK Discussion **NO LINKS**7 Day Suspension For Asking For Links**

7 hours ago, Gackt said:

Chinese era songs should keep the key players that defined its style, IMO; this past year has been weird because Buckethead hasn't released any music in over a year, and even 2018 only had a little over an hour's worth of new songs from him.  I've been curious if Axl tried to reach out to him again after all that's been happening in his personal life, with Brain & Melissa's connection with GNR and their friendship with Bucket being like an olive branch.

An album with Slash & Bucket sharing solos might be too much for this world though :lol:

I agree on all accounts! Interesting observation too.

7 hours ago, RedHook said:

I can't imagine Slash leaving any guitar tracks recorded by anyone no longer in the band.

I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but Chinese Democracy (2008) has a lot of guitar work present by members that had not been in GN'R years prior to the release.

Silkworms was/is definitely intended for release. It for sure was in 2008 before CD was released, intended for CD2 at the time.

The fact that they had Bumble add guitar parts on it is all you need to know to understand they intend on releasing it, as a bonus track at the very least. 

Fairly certain Axl had full intentions on Chinese having a follow-up album into the 2010's with Silkworms in mind, there's probably more versions of that track floating around than most others.

Wish one of the ex-band members wasn't afraid to share all the dirt behind their time with the band in that era..

53 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I agree on all accounts! Interesting observation too.

I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but Chinese Democracy (2008) has a lot of guitar work present by members that had not been in GN'R years prior to the release.

I do know who played on Chin Dem, you gotta remember Slash was not involved with that in any way. 

I believe that any future releases from GNR involving Slash will not contain previous members guitar tracks. 

It took Slash 3 records before he let anyone else play rhythm guitar on a SMKC album.

Edited by RedHook
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Bucketbot25 said:

Always liked this song and never understood the hate. 

It's weird, not easily accessible if you're specifically into radio-friendly rock jams.  I've always dug the aggression both in the instrumentation and Axl's vocal delivery, gives you a strong idea on the direction Axl was steering the band towards in the late 90's that made Slash jump ship.  Zodiac's supposed to have the same formula, a fast-tempo electrorock banger.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

I hate to say it, I really do... but this demo is growing on me now... I feel like I have Stockholm’s syndrome. Axl releases such small amounts of music that any piece of crap like this demo or Too Much Too Soon sounds good to my ears. I’m starting to think this was Axl’s plan all along. He wants us all to have Stockholm’s so that we enjoy any little thing he does. He’s got us all by the balls, just like George Lucas did back when he released The Phantom Menace.

another thought; demos like this make me feel really perplexed as to why Axl kept the GnR name. As interesting as some of this music may be, changing the band’s music style so radically while at the same time replacing every single member apart from himself must’ve made it literally impossible for anyone to accept NuGNR back in the day. He should’ve either tried to maintain the old music style as much as possible, or changed the name of the band. I know he told Kurt Loder in 1999 that he wanted to make another traditional rock album but ultimately figured that he couldn’t cause he felt nobody could truly replace Slash for that particular style, but if that was really the case, then that’s just one more reason why he should’ve let go of the name. He tried to have his cake and eat it too, and because of that, he was a pop culture joke for nearly two decades (before NITL and Axl/DC) and literally FUCKED himself into a musical corner where now he’s sitting on a twenty-year-old record from a band that doesn’t even exist anymore.

Edited by rocknroll41

Appetite for Destruction was the first cassette tthat I had as a kid and loved Guns N Roses ever since then regardless of also liking grunge, which seemed to hate GNR. Once GNR fell out of fashion and unraveled as a band I was still into the idea of Axl pressing on with what he wanted to do. I heard all the techno/industrial rumors in the 90's and was still interested. Upon first listen of Silkworms from Rock in Rio 3 I was really into it because it sounded like Guns N Roses 2.0 and felt that many didn't give it a chance. While I think this version is cool and interesting I really dig the other leak with the Buckethead killswitch intro. Does anyone know who did each solo on that leak? It doesn't all sound like Bumblefoot

58 minutes ago, Bucketbot25 said:

Upon first listen of Silkworms from Rock in Rio 3 I was really into it because it sounded like Guns N Roses 2.0

I like your analogy of referring to NuGNR as “Guns N’ Roses 2.0.” That actually helps me to resolve some of the mixed feelings I have about NuGNR, when looking back on that era in hindsight.

i suppose one way of looking at it is that if GnR, regardless of its lineup, just kept making AFD-sounding records over and over again throughout all these decades then the sound would get stale, after awhile... idk, I guess it’s hard for any art form, let alone any artist, to find a balance between old and new. Just look at starwars, after all. Every time they do something new it’s weird, and every time they do something old it’s boring.

As far as GnR associates go, SMKC probably did this the best by maintaining traditional rock riffs but singing about more contemporary things like modern-day politics, current world issues, post-drug addiction retrospectives, etc, rather than singing about partying and the sunset strip and trouble from the law, as writing songs like that now wouldn’t work anymore. Axl seems passionate about politics these days. Maybe that’s the route he should go. Sing about that stuff. Idk.

Edited by rocknroll41

Need heavier beat to match the vocals

it should come out like a boxer finding the open punches then end in a giant fury

the lack of progression and lyrical and musical arc is its biggest weakeneess

cool electronic textures

im not sure i want guitars on this at all tbh